Lightning F.6 IFR probe colour

lasermonkey

Hi all,

I'm not far off completing my first ever Lightning, this being Airfix's 1/72 F.6. I'm building it as XS928/E of No. 56 Squadron in the unpainted scheme. The instructions say to paint the refuelling probe silver, but on the few photos I've seen of NMF F.6s (where the probe is visible) they appear to be black. I've yet to find a really clear photo, but if anyone knows what colour the IFR probes were, I'd be very much obliged. I'm about to spray it with Alclad's black primer anyway.

By the way, I have thoroughly enjoyed building this kit. It mostly went together well, even if it did have some of the biggest ejector pin "towers" (is that the right word?) I've ever seen! It was also my first outing with Alclad, despite having had them for nigh-on twenty years. I'm pleased to say that they behaved very well and although I could certainly do better, I think I have learnt what not to do this time round. I shall most definitely be building more Airfix Lightnings in NMF!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I have always thought that they were black as well and a quick google image search confirms the probe as black with a steel coloured head on a variety of different operational aircraft in all colour schemes , maybe Airfix got their reference from a preserved aircraft which are not always the most accurate sources.

Edited by Des
Remove repeated word

We have an F6 XR753 ( alright it is really an ex Saudi AF machine that has been repainted as a 23 Sqdn machine) atTangmere in nmf. The refuelling probe is black apart from the tip, which is natural metal.

John

Edited by jaw
typo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As the IFR probe was interchangeable its a mix and match set up,

But I spent 5 year on type at Binbrook and the general rule of thumb would be Camo grey/green jet the probe would be black. Ad grey schemes the probe would be grey.