Aussie Mosquito PR Mk.40

ReccePhreak

I just recently got the DK Decals for the Australian DH.98 Mosquito. The one I want to build is the PR Mk.40 A52-6 in overall PRU blue.

The kit I plan to use is the Tamiya 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI/NF Mk.II.

Does anybody have info on the camera(s) installed & location? My Google searching only turned up only one photo of a PR Mk.40, # A52-9. I am unable to see any indication of camera(s) installed. 

Larry

2 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

If memory serves both Mosquito Monograph by David Vincent and a very old issue of the IPMS (Australia) mag had details. You could try asking on Aussie Modeller International site.

Thanks for that info.

I don't go to that forum anymore.

G'day Larry,

A52-6 had four camera positions, one vertical in the nose and two oblique and one vertical in rear fuselage. Standard fitouts were:

Recce: One K18, (24"), in nose, one F24, (8"), oblique, one F52, (36"), vertical in rear fuselage.

Trimetragon survey: One K17, (6"), in nose, two K17(6"), oblique, one F52, (20"), vertical in rear fuselage.

Be wary of the DKdecals sheet. A52-2, not -6 was 'Old Faithful'. A52-2 had a different camera arrangement, two obliques in the nose, no obliques in the rear fuselage. You will also need to do some conversion work for the nose and oblique camera ports, whatever configuration you choose. Also, the RAAF aircraft had fishtail exhausts, six on the outer side of the engine nacelles, five on the inner side.

I have a number of photos of RAAF PR40s, as well as position info for the camera ports. PM me if this is of any use to you.

Peter M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does anybody make aftermarket 1/48 Mosquito "fishtail" exhausts? :please:

If not, can I use aftermarket fishtail exhausts designed for another kit, say a Spitfire?

Quickboost 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX exhausts - fishtail (48191)

https://d26qn1y84zs32g.cloudfront.net/pics/QB48191.jpg?t=

Quickboost 1/48 Curtiss P-40M/P-40N Warhawk exhaust - fishtail (48442)

https://d26qn1y84zs32g.cloudfront.net/pics/QB48442.jpg?t=

Quickboost parts are easier (and cheaper) for me to get, than Red Roo parts.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

4 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Does anybody make aftermarket 1/48 Mosquito "fishtail" exhausts? :please:

If not, can I use aftermarket fishtail exhausts designed for another kit, say a Spitfire?

Larry

Red Roo in Australia do P-40 Fish Tail exhausts