Mk.IX and Mk.XVI Mosquito's and 1/72 Two Stage Engines

WhitleyZ6743

I'm looking at getting some bits together for making some Mk.IX or Mk.XVI Mosquito's. Does anyone have any recommendations on parts or decals for the following aircraft?

The two-stage engines I have in mind are either Paragon Designs or Blackbird Models conversions for the Tamiya kit, if I can find either of them 🤔😄

Also, any good 1/72 100 gallon fuel tanks? I believe Paragon do some but also seen that the 1/72 Airfix Mosquito comes with them?

As for decals, I have decals for:

8p7KTOh.png

Mk.XVI, ML957, HS-D, 109 Sqn

and

RsrGgDg.png

Mk.IX, LR505, XD-N, 139 Sqn from Blackbird Models Mosquito sheets. Can anyone advise me if both these aircraft were fitted with 100 gallon fuel tanks as shown here?

I also like the look of Mk.IX, ML907, HS-B and Mk.IV, DZ319, HS-H both of 109 Sqn.

wPLXJQT.png

KzwZCun.png

I've not seen any decals for representing these two aircraft so I presume it will be a job of combining codes and serials from decal sheets. As for the nose art, where would I go with that? I know about decal paper but also about them being very transparent without a white background. White background requiring white decal paper and of course a lot of careful trimming! Is there any possible way of creating the nose art for these two beautiful aircraft without having the trouble of the latter option?

Thanks for any help with this,

Dan

Freightdog do 100gal tanks. You can get them through Hannants

Hannants also keeps sheets of generic code letters and numbers in many colours including red

Check Hannants in case any of these Mosquitos are subjects of decal sheets and have the individual artwork

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Freightdog do 100gal tanks. You can get them through Hannants

Hannants also keeps sheets of generic code letters and numbers in many colours including red

Check Hannants in case any of these Mosquitos are subjects of decal sheets and have the individual artwork

Thanks, I think it was Hannants where I saw the tanks and got confused with them being Paragon Designs. I'll have a look through their decals now.

Edit: Was unable to find anything of interest apart from what I already have.

Edited by WhitleyZ6743

I bought some 2 stage engines from Attack Squadron however I believe their resin products might have been taken over by Arma Hobby.

I believe this is the item I purchased -

https://hlj.com/1-72-scale-mosquito-two-stage-supercharger-merlin-engine-nacelles-set-for-tamiya-kit-ahbadl72104

Not sure if it's available anywhere else.

Regards

Michael

• Like 2

BTW, does anybody know where to find photos of these Mosquitos? I am in no way a Mosquito expert and don't own extensive literature on this type, but I have difficulties to find photos of this paint scheme.

14 hours ago, Michael louey said:

I bought some 2 stage engines from Attack Squadron however I believe their resin products might have been taken over by Arma Hobby.

I believe this is the item I purchased -

https://hlj.com/1-72-scale-mosquito-two-stage-supercharger-merlin-engine-nacelles-set-for-tamiya-kit-ahbadl72104

Not sure if it's available anywhere else.

Regards

Michael

You're right Michael, and I have used them on my Tamiya Mossie, and they are AWESOME !, They fit perfectly and look the part, IMHO, they are the best on the market....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biggu said:

You're right Michael, and I have used them on my Tamiya Mossie, and they are AWESOME !, They fit perfectly and look the part, IMHO, they are the best on the market....

Had a quick view of them and they look nice, they come with photo-etch?

8 hours ago, Doc72 said:

BTW, does anybody know where to find photos of these Mosquitos? I am in no way a Mosquito expert and don't own extensive literature on this type, but I have difficulties to find photos of this paint scheme.

I'll have a browse tonight, I already have some images, the illustrations above are from Combat Colours Number 5 (Scale Aircraft Modelling Colours) The de Havilland Mosquito in RAF Photographic Reconnaissance and Bomber Service: 1941 to 1945 by Paul Lucas and David Howley.

Edited by WhitleyZ6743
  • Like 1

PD Decals did decals for HS-H, DZ319. You may be able to pick up a set from Red Roo. 

PM me if you have problems getting some.

PR

P.S. If you are printing your own on white decal, other options are to pre-colour the black around the emblem before printing - makes trimming a little easier - or to paint black around the emblem after printing, then trim. Personally, I'd go the former.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

P.S. If you are printing your own on white decal, other options are to pre-colour the black around the emblem before printing - makes trimming a little easier - or to paint black around the emblem after printing, then trim. Personally, I'd go the former.

Thank you for your advise, I was thinking about taking the route of printing my own as I have more flexibility with different Mosquito's.

There is a Facebook site called 109 Squadron & 582 Squadron Pathfinders. If you scroll back there are photos of 109 Squadron Mossies. Most of them had overpainted noses  to hide the Oboe equipment which was top secret .

• Thanks 2

On 05/12/2018 at 10:03, Doc72 said:

Following images are what I've found from Google Images and Combat Colours Number 5 (Scale Aircraft Modelling Colours) The de Havilland Mosquito in RAF Photographic Reconnaissance and Bomber Service: 1941 to 1945 by Paul Lucas and David Howley

Mk.IV, DZ319, HS-H

r-in-denmark-after-the-war-jpg.212770

109 Squadron Mosquito's, the only two I can make out are HS-X and HS-C

3407025_orig.jpg

the-keeper-jpg.245965

52571b60d45a0e6f882e1e8782f50941.jpgmosquito-cookie-bomb.jpg

Benny-Goodman-Bill-Hickox-with-Mosquito.

P3-O, ML970

H2JkpWx.png

q0L6EqB.png

Mosquito%20AZ-F%20still_zpszchhyyj9.png

Edited by WhitleyZ6743
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just discovered Eagle Strike Productions used to make a decal sheet - 72076 Mosquito Wooden Wonder! PT. II which contained the nose art for Mk.IX ML907 despite having the incorrect squadron codes GB when it should be HS for 109 Squadron. I presume these decals are long gone now.

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

Blackbird Models also have a set of two stage Merlin engines designed for the Tamiya kit.

Yeah, I’ve been speaking to him and he’s not going to be getting anymore for a while as he’s changing the cast. Everywhere is out of stock for conversions, I can’t find any online.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 10:04 AM, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Had a quick view of them and they look nice, they come with photo-etch?

I'll have a browse tonight, I already have some images, the illustrations above are from Combat Colours Number 5 (Scale Aircraft Modelling Colours) The de Havilland Mosquito in RAF Photographic Reconnaissance and Bomber Service: 1941 to 1945 by Paul Lucas and David Howley.

Sorry for the long delay in answering  wife's dad had a stroke and was kind of busy there for a bit, yes, the side vents for photo etch, and they are really nicely done, I really should snag another set.... if I can find them now..

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

Sorry for the long delay in answering  wife's dad had a stroke and was kind of busy there for a bit, yes, the side vents for photo etch, and they are really nicely done, I really should snag another set.... if I can find them now..

Don’t worry about the delay, I hope your wife’s dad is well.

yeah, I was unable to find anywhere with them in stock so I got some paragon and blackbird ones off eBay.

• Like 1