Some old builds...

I recently posted some pics of my car models in the vehicles section and @giemme and @TheBaron asked if I could post some of my aircraft builds - so you can blame Giorgio and Tony for this nonsense! Like my car model pics, these were all probably posted on here in the past, but following photobucket's attempt to take them hostage, if any of the threads still exist, they'll be devoid of pics as I deleted all my stuff off that heinious organisation's site. Rightio, here we go...

Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Camel 

This was built as a retirement gift for my wife's then boss. Which I regretted as when it was finished it became one of my favourites and I didn't want to give it away! Apols for so many pics of this one!

Camel 4

Camel 5Camel 1

Camel 2

Camel 3

Smer 1/48 Tiger Moth

This was built for a friend of the recipient of the Camel who was an RAF veteran who was groundcrew on Moths during the war. He was rather poorly and housebound, so my wife's boss thought it might cheer him up - I hope it did!

Moth 3

Moth 1

Moth 2

Hasegawa 1/48 P-40

Kitty 1

Kitty 2

Aeroclub 1/48 Jet Provost

JP7

That's all the pics I could find of any of my fumble thumbs scale builds, so I'll start another thread for the One True Scale models....

Keith

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Nice builds. I particularly like the Tiger moth. Did you have to do a lot to the kit to make it look that good? I got my hands on one the other day. It was terrible from first look.

I will need have another look. The P-40 was very good too.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I particularly like the Tiger moth. Did you have to do a lot to the kit to make it look that good? I got my hands on one the other day. It was terrible from first look.

Thanks! From memory, the main thing was sanding off & filling the engraved national markings which was 'fun' while still trying to keep the fabric 'detail'! I replaced the lower engine cowlings above the exhausts with thin brass shim and IIRC I changed the exhausts with some tubing. More or less completely scratchbuilt both cockpits with some great photos sent to me by our late friend Edgar. Rigging, I think, was with Aeroclub 'knitting in' elastic. To be honest, this was another one I actually really enjoyed building and I'd like to do another!

Keith