Wet Sanding Clear Coat

Jezleaman

Hey guys,

just applied first 2 coats of clear lacquer to my model car. How long do you usually leave the clear lacquer to dry before wet sanding?

Also will the wet sanding usually get rid of any dust particles within the clear lacquer?

many thanks!

jez

All depends on the type and brand of the clear coat? To answer your second question, yes, wet sanding will remove any dust or dirt particles within the clear coat. You'll just need to use a rubbing compound to restore the gloss that you'll lose when you wet sand the surface..

Hi Jez

while not a direct answer, I really recommend this thread

as @cmatthewbacon  gives a very useful tutorial..  as someone who doesn't drive and has no real interest in cars,  I really enjoyed reading about the techniques used...

a quick re-read suggests you may need to get some boxes to keep the dust off.

Anyway, I hope of some use, and welcome to the forum

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

All depends on the type and brand of the clear coat? To answer your second question, yes, wet sanding will remove any dust or dirt particles within the clear coat. You'll just need to use a rubbing compound to restore the gloss that you'll lose when you wet sand the surface..

@Steve Noble I used Halfords clear lacquer as I had to use Halfords for the body colour, and I don’t have an airbrush kit etc.

I'd allow at least 24 hours in a warm place, longer if its cold or chilly.

I would: Use no rougher than 2000 grade w&d and finish off with toothpaste on a clean rag

Sometime you need to invest in 'Micro Mesh' pads if you're going to do much of this. MicroMesh goes to 12,000 grade

You can get Mm pads from  https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/micro-mesh-2-pads-set-of-nine-6785-p.asp