This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I shall shortly be starting a 1/72 scale diorama set in 1988 at what was then known as ASMT Leconfield, now DST Leconfield. This was the time when D Flight 22 Squadron Wessex were replaced by E Flight 202 Squadron Sea Kings. Originally I wanted to include the Hangar and full pan like this:

_mH07lSjhcUgVCMKjeiguxRf3Uhz_vMXce3n81je

but realised that it would bu HUGE! Even cutting it down to this section it will be about 6' x 4' to keep in scale.

e0Mk6LhN9GMPyZpTHonyMLnBF7-iwqmrXn2oNX2P

This will give me room for a Wessex and a Sea King plus a couple of Houchins, TACR2 Lightweight Landrover, Massey Ferguson MF40 Towing Tractor, Bedford MK Tactical Refueller and maybe a Bedford TK MK6 Refueller if I can manage to scratch build one. Some period figures would be nice too. I shall be looking to re-create the tarmac and grass areas complete with blue LED taxi-way marker lights.

6ft x 4ft?? Wow.

I take it you have a crane to move it about and a museum to display it in?

Seriously though. Good luck.

Rearguards,

Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

6ft x 4ft?? Wow.

I take it you have a crane to move it about and a museum to display it in?

Seriously though. Good luck.

Rearguards,

Badder

Not sure where I am going to build it yet as my shed is only 10' x 6'. Busy building models to go on it at the moment. Might have to do the base in sections.

Oh ,this is going to be good .. Were you on the Sqns?

1 minute ago, bzn20 said:

Oh ,this is going to be good .. Were you on the Sqns?

Yes. 1985 to 1989 Wessex and Sea King Engines/Airframes technician. Never done a diorama before so it is all new to me. Hoping the cork underlay I have ordered will not be too large scale for the tarmac, it looks quite fine on the pictures but only time will tell.

I was at Leconfield in early 1970s. Whirlwinds then. One of my jobs was to hose them down after every sortie

Good luck with this project. They do tend to have a life of their own though

Pity to lose the hangar - you could include the home-built aircraft as well!  I forget the type, but remember being impressed by what the technicians on the flight could get up to.

Regards

Tim

3 hours ago, TimB said:

Pity to lose the hangar - you could include the home-built aircraft as well!  I forget the type, but remember being impressed by what the technicians on the flight could get up to.

Regards

Tim

That would be the CFM Shadow that Ian "Stig" Davis and myself built. I guess you must have been there at the same time as me Tim. I went on to build and supply kitplanes for 4 or 5 years till the recession hit hard.

This was one of mine

297612_114677855310173_377885781_n.jpg?_

And this one too

314304_107514362693189_893578913_n.jpg?_

Edited by AndyBunney

@AndyBunney Andy, first off, best of luck!

On a more practical note, with the overall size you'll be dealing with being so large, how about building 4x 3'x2' sections?

Some of the unavoidable gaps could be filled by linear drainage, to disguise them......

Just a suggestion.

Paul

49 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

@AndyBunney Andy, first off, best of luck!

On a more practical note, with the overall size you'll be dealing with being so large, how about building 4x 3'x2' sections?

Some of the unavoidable gaps could be filled by linear drainage, to disguise them......

Just a suggestion.

Paul

Thanks Paul. That's an idea certainly. I shall give it some thought.

Cork arrived today so I threw a bit of flat black at it to see what it would look like. I think with some thicker paint to fill the bigger craters it should look quite effective.

Lightweight Landy goes well with Houchin too.

1H1GDoL6h_DoUnacNXej4F7KuRSzqKJnc82F7xGl

Nice one Andy! Watching with great interest. That dispersal area looks a bit different now!

Happy days...

Jon

54 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice one Andy! Watching with great interest. That dispersal area looks a bit different now!

Happy days...

Jon

It does doesn't it! Hangar gone and new buildings everywhere.

Interesting project.

Shame you cant include perhaps a short length of the hangar and the end doors, it would form a great backdrop for photos !!

I have done something similar but from wartime days.

.. .- -.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:21 PM, AndyBunney said:

That would be the CFM Shadow that Ian "Stig" Davis and myself built. I guess you must have been there at the same time as me Tim. I went on to build and supply kitplanes for 4 or 5 years till the recession hit hard.

Hi, Andy, yes I visited the flight quite a bit from Finningley.  The kitplane was interesting and it was always good to divert visitors!  Sorry to hear about the way the business went, though.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the dio goes.

Regards

Tim

Good to see an airfield diorama.  You could always sneak the hangar front & doors as part of a back scene, but from the look of your plan it would be off to the left.  Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

These are the Taxiway marker lights which I will be re-creating using 1.8mm LEDs and 2 sizes of plastic tube.

FeCu9Nt12q_ukmw2gWtQW_z6vWW5YdJrxlsc7rEm

First light made and tried in cork base

NnZfATJCRLzd7XpyF02P8RzTLqg68j5Ilne8RKPA

And lit up!

kkIYzDgeaCUVh4Pg71CcVC8NblHhAXPbVz6IlBOA

Edited by AndyBunney
Photos added