A320 conversion to A319 or A321

bianfuxia

Hi all,

Some time back someone shared this great thread about building variants of the 737 by cutting or adding fuselage sections (eg a 738 to a 737 by cutting out part of the fuselage).

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925943-s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g-and-shrnkg-a-737-step-by-step/

I wondered if there  was a similar one for the Airbus A320 series?

I'm not sure why you would want to convert the A320 series other than the A318. The A319, 320 and 321 are available from Revell and the 320 and 321 are also kitted by Zvezda. The Revell A321 has been off the market for a while and is becoming harder to find although if Revell run to form it will probably be reissued eventually.

If you really, really want to convert the A320 into an A319 or A321 there was an article about doing just that in the first ever issue of the old Airline Modeller magazine back in 1995.  I have a copy and I can scan it for you if you pm me your e-mail address.  You should note that the article is based on the first Revell A320, not the current kit.  The author also ignores the difference between the wings of the A321 and the A319/320 although that's not a problem with the current Revell kits since they all come with A321 wings which need to be corrected for the A319/320

Dave G

• Like 1

Thanks!

The reason I want to convert is because I build in 1:200 and so far as I know there is only the Hasegawa A320, plus the A320neo and A321neo.

Thanks for the kind offer about scanning but it's ok, it will be a while before I ever find time to do this and the kits are all going into storage as we are moving countries.

thanks for the responses!

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

Thanks!

The reason I want to convert is because I build in 1:200 and so far as I know there is only the Hasegawa A320, plus the A320neo and A321neo.

Thanks for the kind offer about scanning but it's ok, it will be a while before I ever find time to do this and the kits are all going into storage as we are moving countries.

thanks for the responses!

It funny how we all immediately assume 1/144 when these conversion questions are asked, I must admit I do!

Heading to Australia by any chance?

• Like 1

I have plenty of form for making two and two add up to five. I suppose we assume 1/144 because it’s the scale the majority of us use. I never think of 1/200 because advancing age doesn’t bring improving eyesight!

From what you say about the Hasegawa range you only need to convert the A318 or 319. The Airliner Modeller article tells you how many windows to remove to make the A319 so it still might be some help in 1/200. Please feel free to get back to me any time if you want a copy.

• Like 1

Thanks Skodadriver!

Yes Ray I am indeed going to Australia for a little while. I am between assignments. My visa expiry here is kind of like a hard Brexit. Nothing lined up yet so it'll be me, the wife, and three year old knocking on the door. "Hi Mum, I'm unemployed and homeless...and in 6 weeks a shipping container full of half-built model kits is going to arrive".

Hopefully it will all fall together in the next few months.

• Like 1

A little post-script to this. Yesterday was my birthday so despite having no time as we race to pack everything I decided to take one last run to a hobby shop. Beijing has some really awesome shops though they are incredibly hard to find unless you can read a bit of Chinese on taobao and work out where they are. They are always in some grotty alley in a residential area with no signs, never in malls or traditional shops (with maybe one pricey exception). I'd been a few times but still had to ride around in circles on my bike for about 15 minutes before I found the specific little alley!

anyway while there I bought what I was actually after which was the Trumpeter 1/72 "Chinese Spaceship #10" better known as the Shenzhou 10 and Tiangong 1 combo.

Then I saw the new Hasegawa 1/200 A321neo and even better the A321ceo. So I snapped up the ceo and also another A320 so I can cut that one back to an A319.

My airliner building plot is that I want one of each type I've flown on, in the livery of the airline I flew, and ideally with no two aircraft in the same livery. Of course you can't get the bigger Airbus planes in 1/200, so far as I know, but at least now I have all the smaller ones (I've never been on an A318 so that's ok).

If anyone's interested - and it's pretty esoteric - here is where I am at with that plot.

A319 - Atlantic Airways, China Eagle Airlines, Beijing Capital airlines - got to convert the A320 and somehow find decals

A320 - China Eastern - already built, just waiting for the decals which I already have

A321 - many airlines but I will try to do China Southern I think. Better get on taobao today and find some.

732 - there's Hasegawa and Revell, I've built a few but not for this project. I'd like to do Malaysian.

733 - no kit, Hasegawa has a -400 I could shorten. I think I flew an old Norwegian airlines one once.

734 - see above, maybe Qantas

735 - Lufthansa, already built and I have the decals

736 - never flown, thanks for nothing SAS who put a 738 on the route I booked last summer just to knock off the 736!

737 - Air Do Japan, got the kit and its decals

738 - lots, but I am doing the Air China Olympics one, half finished, and have finished my China Eastern Purple Peacock one as well. 

739 - Korean. I guess I need two of the 738 kits and can get a -900 and -600 out of them

Then I've got the ANA 789 almost done, I went on that a year or two back. 788, there's a Hasegawa kit but I'll need some Hainan airlines decals. 744 I have half built and I have the KLM decals. Never went on a 743 but I could do either Qantas or United as the 742. 767 could be Mongolian, Hainan or Qantas but given the rule about no two similar liveries I guess I need to rustle up some Mongolian. 772 I have the Lauda boxing half built, 773 can be almost anyone as I've been on lots of those. Maybe Cathay or Emirates.

Then there are no 1/200 kits for 757, A330, A340 or A380 (or A350 but I haven't been on that, thanks for nothing Air China who put a 789 on the route I booked only because it was an A350...well I had to fly the route but I chose that particular time for the 350). And there's not yet a 747-8i in 1/200 but if there is, I've been on Air China twice with that.

Well if you're still reading I admire your interest. It's an esoteric eccentric hobby, this one! 

• Like 2

When I first read the opening post I also assumed 1/144 and in fact only read the thread in order to day the same thing as Skodadriver said as well.  

That said, I love the plan that you have so far, mostly because I have been doing the same thing.  The only difference is that I have the tailnumbers of most of the planes that I have flown as well, and have been making them all.  I have a lot of repeats of planes as well as repeats in same company but different livery as a  for instance, MD-88 in all three Delta liveries.  My fleet is also 1/144 because a number of the smaller planes that are only in 1/144, F-27, SD360, SD330, Jetstream, Merlin, Beech 99, BAC 1-11, BAe 146, Beechcraft 1900 as well as the oddities like a Trident 3 and several VC10s.    Some of the special ones I have flown include the legacy schemes of the United A320 and the Ohio themed US Airways 757 as well as a 737-100, twice on the same one but in different liveries, Peoples Express and Continental.  

I have also built some of the ones that my wife has flown in with the prize being her first flight which was a revenue flight of a DC-3 in 1965.

Which brings up a question for modern day flyers that care about what they are flying on, what plane do you wish that you could have flown on but didn't.  Mine would be a DC-8.  

PS, just checked my log, 34 B737s and 27 A320s, both of all types, so not making them all. 

Graham

Edited by zed
typo

On 12/11/2018 at 1:45 PM, zed said:

Which brings up a question for modern day flyers that care about what they are flying on, what plane do you wish that you could have flown on but didn't.

Concorde - to Barbados for preference.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 1:45 PM, zed said:

Which brings up a question for modern day flyers that care about what they are flying on, what plane do you wish that you could have flown on but didn't.  Mine would be a DC-8.  

PS, just checked my log, 34 B737s and 27 A320s, both of all types, so not making them all. 

Graham

VC-10 or Super VC-10. I come over all warm and fuzzy anytime I see the BOAC VC-10 publicity films

Gotta be Concorde! Flew in HM’s VC-10’s many times and they weren’t the most comfortable - along with sitting backwards made for a less than restful experience! If I’m allowed 2, then I’ll add the TU-144 to my wish list of airliners I never flew in!😄

Edited by feifeitim