Something strange going on?

Over the last day or so I've noticed a little oddity happening, apparently all over the forum. Members' names are being blanked out, not very effectively, by a hand holding a black ellipsoid. It's not preventing me from accessing any page, or otherwise affecting my use of the forum, but it is mildly annoying, if only because it seems to be so pointless. Is there an official reason for this, or is it just that another hacker is messing with us? Inquiring minds need to know ...

• Confused 3

As Brian says, if you could get me a snapshot, I'd be grateful.  Any information you can provide is welcome, and will assist in helping us help you :yes:

• Like 1

No black hands @Mike but I am getting this message at the top of the page :

sDQINsF.jpg

BM is also very sluggish in all areas.  I am operating Mac High Sierra with 8GB ram

It seems to have started when the snow was turned on at header - no offence meant

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57

18 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

It seems to have started when the snow was turned on at header - no offence meant

May be OSX being a tad over-zealous, but as you can imagine, those snowflakes don't calculate their own trajectories :) It's not switched on for the mobile platform for obvious reasons of memory, processor power etc., but assumes that desktops and laptops have the grunt to carry it off.  My workshop PC uses a fairly old gen3 i5 processor (we're now on gen8), so I'd have thought I would have noticed things slowing down, but I haven't. :hmmm: Is your Macbook relatively new?  If not, and it's older than my old PC in the workshop, maybe that's what's causing it?  Are you running on battery?  Battery operation often has a profile where the processor speed is hobbled to save energy, so if you are, perhaps look at the performance on power to compare.  Also, try a different browser - Safari and Chrome and Firefox all use different rendering engines from each other, so the one you're using could be less efficient with the rendering of the snowflakes.  Just a few things to try :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always read Mikes technical responses.  Its like reading a new language to me.  I know he knows what he is talking about as do others on here but their techie skills leave me waaaay behind at the switch on/off point.  

Yours bewildered of Notty Ash

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I always read Mikes technical responses.  Its like reading a new language to me.  I know he knows what he is talking about as do others on here but their techie skills leave me waaaay behind at the switch on/off point. 

You could say the same about your legal gibberish - we're all masters of something (hopefully), and can't master everything ;) I have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time these days :S

• Haha 1

FWIW the snow is causing the fan to spin up on my Surface Pro 4, even when running on mains power. It's using 50% CPU, which is really wasteful. Is there a way to turn it off locally?

[edit: adding "snowstorm-min.js" to my AdBlock filter removes the snow, yay!]

Thanks!

Will

I'm also getting the same warning message as Dennis [sloegin]  post no 5 above, and, like him, am using the same Mac program and capacity.

Indeed, BM has slowed markedly over the past week or so - suppose everything slows down when it's snowing......goes with the territory.......

Rog

On 12/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, sloegin57 said:

No black hands @Mike but I am getting this message at the top of the page :

sDQINsF.jpg

Dennis

OK further to my post attached.  I can say that it appears to have absolutely nothing to do with Britmodeller, Mike or the snow.  I did a bit of digging over the past few days and it appears that the problem is Global, affects Macs with High Sierra installed and no one seems to have a clue what it is or how it is caused.

The following popped up on a Mac problem web site I frequent after I had entered the warning into Google and is identical to the problem that I and, it appears, many thousands of other Mac users have :-

GiTxtF7.jpg

The earliest that I can date the matter being reported is May 2018 which, if memory serves, is when an upgrade to High Sierra appeared ( High Sierra 10.13.6 upgrade ). 

Mine is a little more specific in that it pops up intermittently in the Phantom AAR thread

Just have to live with it I guess same as I am having to live with the fact that my Data Base external hard drive with, amongst other stuff, 130GB of scanned photos, slides and articles just died yesterday.  Fortunately for me the auto back up had kicked in just 24 hours prior and nothing has been lost.  All I need now is a new external HD.  A SSD of about  6TB will do nicely for Christmas methinks.

Seriously though it really has nothing to do with BM or the snow

Dennis

Postscript :-

I asked my youngest son, a legal beagle computer geek, how I could use and would it be safe to use the folders on the back up disc if I so needed to.  This was the answer that I got back :-

"The Mac knows it's a backup drive - in order to change anything on the backup drive you need to restore the files want - the permissions will be changed once they have been restored

having administrative privileges is usually enough for day to day use - system is a user, wheel is a group - your account may well be a member of the wheel group"  

so I had a cup of tea and went to bed

DR

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 1

I know I am a naughty old sinner but I have returned all my devices ( sounds posh, isn't) to the old style headers

But I'm still getting very slow responding at times, this morning for example

I have assumed we are having a Chrissie Prezzie from our late unlamented bro or sis over there

Looks as if I am having the same issues with Postimg as Fozzy.

P1100440.jpg

On Fozzy's B17 thread this picture will not load, in here?

No problem so it may be there is an issue with that thread line

Try another?

P1100443.jpg

Seems to be fine here

😕

Seems like the snow is causing a fair few problems for more than a few people, and I'm wondering if it's perhaps due to the fact that it was designed for an earlier version of the forum software and hasn't been updated like many of the things we use to personalise your experience with a view to making it more fun and usable.  I've been and looked to see if there's a new version, and there isn't even an old version anymore, which makes me wonder if the feedback was bad, so the writer decided to sack it off.

With a heavy heart I'm going to turn the snow off, and get more and more depressed as we approach Christmas with no snow.  No snow IRL either by the looks of things :crying:

I know Julien's going to gloat, so if you could all send him hate PMs about his miserable-ness, I'd be grateful :yes:

EDIT: I checked and my lowly gen 3 i5 was using up 20% processor power on the tab with the snow, compared with 0-3% on tabs without neige.  That's a pretty silly overhead for a simple snow app. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Er

This hate PM

Could you post us a template so we can just cut and paste

Something like this should suffice:

Dear Julien,

You suck.  A lot.  Mike says "Hi" ^_^

Yours sincerely,

INSERT FAKE NAME HERE (he'll never guess)

• Haha 7

Thanks Mike - I was having the same problem with my Mac using lots of power generating the snow so I had to switch to the old theme.

Back with the seasonal one now - Happy Christmas! :D