Hasegawa F-8 Crusader 1/48

Hi all

I started this one for the Carriers Ahoy GB earlier this year and never quite made it over the line until now.

This is Eduard's re-boxing of Hasegawa's very nice Crusader kit in 1/48 with all the usual extras which builds up into quite a sizeable and impressive model.

The kit is finished in the colours of an a/c from VF 194 aboard the USS Ticonderoga during 1966. Weapons are from various Hasegawa weapons sets. Pitot from Master. Paints are Humbrol, my first try with them for a while and i was pleasantly surprised. The metal area around the tail is AK Xtreme metal dark aluminium. Florey models wash and some oil streaks.

Hope you like it.

resized_d97b3173-06d4-4f35-9e6b-736d8bb1

resized_f2c56a7d-8f9c-40f4-a773-1f840e47

resized_bdc48cd2-a3ed-4e2c-a1f4-9f55d41e

resized_3fd5ce67-39f3-4358-a1b5-8b2aca69

resized_807f3312-0443-414f-8036-e5b6784e

Thanks for looking.

Questions and comments welcome as always.

James

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Well done James, looks beautiful.  I have this Eduard boxing, one question, did you have to adapt the canopy to have it open, I read somewhere that Hasegawa made the canopy in the closed position.

Regards.

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the kind comments.

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Well done James, looks beautiful.  I have this Eduard boxing, one question, did you have to adapt the canopy to have it open, I read somewhere that Hasegawa made the canopy in the closed position.

Regards.

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes I did. I had to thin down the inner surface of the canopy quite a lot including the lugs or what ever they're called thank stick out the back? And also trim a lump out of the fuselage sides where the lugs slot in so that the canopy sits at the right angle when open. Handy thing is that when you fit the canopy the plastic insert that makes up the internal frame rests on the back of the seat and you don't notice this from the outside. HTH.

Cracking kit though, you'll love it and goes together quite quickly.

All the best

James

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Cracking kit though, you'll love it and goes together quite quickly.

All the best

James

Thanks for the information on the canopy, James.  I have always liked the F8, the main problem will be which set of markings to use, or just buy more!!

Regards.

Bob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading Max Hastings' Vietnam.  This just flew off the page!  Last of the gunfighters and you have done a stunning tribute!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, At Sea said:

Currently reading Max Hastings' Vietnam.  This just flew off the page!  Last of the gunfighters and you have done a stunning tribute!

Thanks At Sea, I think Father Christmas is bringing me that book? Looking forward to getting started with it.

James