Trigger Grip Airbrush for Primer/Varnish Coat

Remodel_Remake

Hi Folks

Apologies as there is a similar thread to this, but I wanted to narrow down the details a bit.

I’m looking at building some larger scale boats (couple of the italeri 1/35 monsters & maybe a 1/350 or two) & I watched a great video about the issues of smaller brushes to cover properly without the rough overspray, this naturally lead to the use of the fan type brushes.

Now this is uncharted territory for me & I don’t want to make any expensive mistakes. So I’m hoping to pick your collective brains.

I use a sparmax tc-610h so I thinking the higher airflow required is ok, but what brush would be recommended to match this with?

Rattle cans are an option I know, but just feel you waste so much Paint & have no control.

thanks in advance for any help.

regards

E

You can get the Tamiya Spraywork trigger airbrush with a 0.5mm tip, but I'm not sure that would give you the wide coverage you require. After that you're sort of getting into mini-spray gun territory, but I don't think your Sparmax compressor will power a mini-spray gun..

So  not massive areas, but large areas.  Several options in the Sparmax range, all variations on the same trigger brush:   GP-35 good for general purpose painting, can get quite fine & can cover areas quite nicely, but would take a few passes.  The next one up the GP-50 last a larger area pattern, can still paint fairly small areas.  The brushes are Gravity fed, have two interchangeable side feed paint cups about 10 and 18ml ( from memory and you can get an 80ml bottle feed for really large areas.

There is also a 0.5mm version with a fan pattern spray( GP-825) which would be perfect for the large area work.

They are all the same price £90 inc VAT and the compressor would be OK with any of these brushes.

For more details :  Modellingtools Sparmax Airbrushes

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the advice, I’ll check out the brushes you’ve mentioned Paul & it’s great you’ve confirmed that my compressor is ok with them.

Order will be winging its way to you after payday & before my wife sees me ordering anything for my shameful hobby before Christmas 😂

I've just remembered I have the Sparmax GP-70. That is the biggest of them all I think, with a 0.7mm tip if I'm correct. I bought it mainly for clear coating 1/12 F1 car bodywork, so it will spray pretty large surface areas. It works perfectly on my compressor, not the same as yours, but very similar specs, air output etc, so should be ideal for what you want..

Just wanted to check one more thing....

As I would like to make this a dedicated priming & clear coating brush for all my needs, would the GP-825 be overkill on 1/35 armour & 1/48 WW2 planes?

oh and the good news is I’ve actually been given permission to buy by she who must be obeyed (& agreed with) at all times

1 hour ago, Remodel_Remake said:

Just wanted to check one more thing....

As I would like to make this a dedicated priming & clear coating brush for all my needs, would the GP-825 be overkill on 1/35 armour & 1/48 WW2 planes?

I wouldn't say so in my honest opinion. It has a 0.5mm tip and needle, same as the Tamiya brush I use, and I use that brush for painting and clear coating on 1/24, 1/20 and 1/12 scales. But I also use it for painting smaller parts such as wheels, engines, suspension and stuff. It's pretty much a great all round brush for most things I do. I only step up to the Sparmax GP-70 with the 0.7mm needle and tip when I'm clear coating on larger 1/12 scale F1 cars..

• Thanks 1

Well this is going to give you all a laugh, had forgotten that I have an old H&S Silverline 2 in 1 (pretty sure I actually bought it from your store Paul) & put the 0.4 needle & nozzle set on and had a go at priming up a sheet of plastic card,  & to be honest with my meager skill set I can’t see a mini gun style brush improving my game over it that much.

The only issue I can see is the smaller cup size, but it’s no biggie to top up, so for just now I’m going to work with that though not sure we can fully rule out a new year purchase....😆

I’m a long time lurker on here & not much of a poster as my befuddled old brain still hasn’t quite adapted to typing up random nonsense, always feel I’m just trouble busy people, but I really do appreciate your opinions & help.

regards

E

5 hours ago, Remodel_Remake said:

Well this is going to give you all a laugh, had forgotten that I have an old H&S Silverline 2 in 1 (pretty sure I actually bought it from your store Paul) & put the 0.4 needle & nozzle set on and had a go at priming up a sheet of plastic card,  & to be honest with my meager skill set I can’t see a mini gun style brush improving my game over it that much.

The only issue I can see is the smaller cup size, but it’s no biggie to top up, so for just now I’m going to work with that though not sure we can fully rule out a new year purchase....😆

I’m a long time lurker on here & not much of a poster as my befuddled old brain still hasn’t quite adapted to typing up random nonsense, always feel I’m just trouble busy people, but I really do appreciate your opinions & help.

regards

E

You could always buy either the 15 or 50ml cup for your Evolution....   50ml is plastic and has a lid with it, so not heavy,  15ml is metal & the lid is extra...

H&S 50ml cup & lid

15ml metal paint cup

lid for 15ml paint cup

Paul

Well I gave into that little voice inside my head & just placed an order with Paul for the Sparmax gp35 & the larger cup for my Silverline.

Frankly after all the research that I did on the trigger brushes I just fancied trying one for general painting.

Still going to dedicate the Silverline to priming & clear coats though.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards