Need advice for panel line wash colours please

xappie

Hi all!

I am working on an A-6E Tram in two tone gray.  What colours would you recommend for the panel/rivet line wash?  I am thinking that black will be too stark, especially on the bottom.  Would you use dark gray?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be thinking of grey, brown or even a mucky green.  I just washed the underside of my 262 with some AK (093) interior wash, which is a grim dirty green enamel wash, but in the panel lines it looks fine, and gives just the right contrast, rather than being too harsh.  You'd never know it was green either :shrug:

4 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

I'd go dark gray with a hint of brown. Nice utilitarian shade, and the brown helps trick the eye into thinking it's not an artificial 'artistic' effect.

Perfect!  Thanks so much.

Just now, Mike said:

I'd be thinking of grey, brown or even a mucky green.  I just washed the underside of my 262 with some AK (093) interior wash, which is a grim dirty green enamel wash, but in the panel lines it looks fine, and gives just the right contrast, rather than being too harsh.  You'd never know it was green either :shrug:

Hmmm.... interesting.  I might try a dab of green here and there and see how I like it then.

I don't do panel lines but when I have to put something in the groove of an elevator or aileron I use a darker shade of the main colour, eg burnt umber on dark earth, dark grey on lighter grey

7 minutes ago, xappie said:

Hmmm.... interesting.  I might try a dab of green here and there and see how I like it then.

You might find it works better on the lighter undersides if the upper grey is darker.  I used a dark (brownish) wash on the topsides of the 262 so I get the appropriate contrast on each colour :)

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't do panel lines but when I have to put something in the groove of an elevator or aileron I use a darker shade of the main colour, eg burnt umber on dark earth, dark grey on lighter grey

Yeah this sounds like a good idea.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mike said:

You might find it works better on the lighter undersides if the upper grey is darker.  I used a dark (brownish) wash on the topsides of the 262 so I get the appropriate contrast on each colour :)

Thanks!