New book on SCW Bf109 just out.

cduckworth

I just received my copy of ‘German Eagles in Spanish Skies’ by David Johnston.   Wonderful coverage of the early prototype Bf109’s up to the 109E ‘s in Spain.  I’ve been collecting books on the SCW aircraft for 40+ years and have to say 90% of those shown in this book are new to me.  Lots of information on the transformation from the early silver-gray color to the European colors and even one 109B with a solid light fuselage with splinter camouflaged wings.   Pilot interviews, lots of technical drawings as well. 

Charlie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Do they show photos of Bf 109E used in Spain in both variants, with wing cannons and machine guns?

Yes, both the E-1 and E-3 are shown.  Several photos of the E-3 but the strength of the book is showing the Bf109V, A-D series.  

13 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Do they show photos of Bf 109E used in Spain in both variants, with wing cannons and machine guns?

Yes, both the E-1 and E-3 are shown.  Several photos of the E-3 but the strength of the book is showing the Bf109V, A-D series.  

7 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Understand. Thank you!

Is it finally determined if the earliest V (6-1, 6-2) were silver or grey?

He describes the early color as ‘silver white’.  There’s a chapter devoted to camouflage as well.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you!
I was very much into Spanish War (I even wrote master degree paper about press propaganda related to the SCW), but these were quite old times (mostly '90s). Still have some interest in it.

On the other hands, the same German airplane types (almost 100%) and the same German pilots flew in September 1939 against Poland, which is one of my main interests nowadays.

Edited by GrzeM

There’s several biographies on German aces in one of the last chapters that cover their flying careers from the SCW to WW2.  Discusses their assignments, number of victories, etc.   

• Thanks 1