Jean Offenberg Spitfire Vb

sprue

I'm researching for a model of Spitfire Vb as flown by Flight Lt Offenberg of 609 Squadron in September 1941. Drawing on internet sources and his diaries published as "Lonely Warrior" it appears at this time he regularly flew Spitfire Vb PR-M which I think was W3574.

I assume it would have been in ocean grey / Green / med sea grey at this time. Any thoughts anyone?

By September it should indeed have been painted in the Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey scheme, though the Ocean Grey may well have been the initial, "mixed" version. According to the Airhistory.org site, W3574 started its service life with No. 609 Sqn, was damaged in a crash landing in October '41, was repaired and subsequently went on to serve with Nos. 65, 453, 222, 167, 310, 416 and 186 Squadrons, surviving the war.

Lonely Warrior is probably my favourite pilot biography. I found it to be compelling reading and often very moving.

Cheers,

Mark.

3 hours ago, NPL said:

If you google it using the number W3574, you end up -- it says -- with 453 Sqdn. Code: FU&Q. 

Many thanks and you're quite correct but it went to 453 after repair. It definitely started out with 609. The photograph is useful though as it gives some clue to the camouflage pattern assuming that all that has changed since it's time with 609 is the codes.