ANA 747-400D - 1993 Techno Whale Special - Hasegawa 1/200 Love Liner 200

ANA invited elementary and Junior school children to design a theme to celebrate ANA carrying their 500th Millionth customers (that's a big milestone number) which was won by Ms Yukie Ogaki from North Tokyo. Her winning theme represented a large Blue Whale as the main theme with several fish and other aquatic creatures swimming alongside. The livery was a one-off them and flew from 1993 on ANA's domestic routes with a capacity of 570 passengers fully loaded.

Now over 25 years old, the decals for this kit proved virtually unusable which resulted in the majority of the kit being painted and hand decaled. This was a one-off design for ANA back in 1993 for their short range internal operations around Japan. Hasegawa released this kit moulded in blue (for those that don't like painting and was their first 747-400 model. Although very old, it was only the decals that were a pain and cost me weeks of extra time and pin stripe hand decaling challenges but I am pleased with the end result given the problems I encountered. It was also a good reminder of the fun I had back in the 80's and 90's when I used to focus on the Hasegawa Love Liner 200 series and has prompted me back in that direction once again.

The photo below of the box contents shows the decals I could not use due to them being cracked and crazed, so I had to hand paint and improvise.

DSCF8161 (2)

DSCF8162 (2)

DSCF8159 (2)

DSCF8158 (2)

DSCF8156 (2)

DSCF8150 (2)

DSCF8148 (2)

DSCF8145 (2)

DSCF8144 (2)

DSCF8142 (2)

DSCF8140 (2)

DSCF8134 (2)

DSCF8126 (2)

DSCF8120 (2)

Thanks for looking in, it may be small in 1/200 but these kits are great fun

John

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

An outstanding result you achieved there.

I was lucky to find this kit at a local aviation expo and will start on it very soon.

I also have the little brother,theBoeing 767-300,that went into service in the same livery due to the high demand by passengers for flying on the whale.

Hasegawa didnt hesitate and released that kit soon after the Jumbo