1/24 Tamiya Porsche 911 gt2 (993)

Must be getting near winter so time to have a little project or 2 on the go again.

All summer I've been promising a friend they could have the 1/24 Tamiya 911 gt2 by Christmas so I better get a bit of a wriggle on with it.

But I did also make the mistake of telling him I'd like it to have working suspension after I'd made some rear shocks a few months ago.

Good news is with the subframes he'll let me get away with some scale inaccuracies provided it works!!! 

I can see a near future of some serious dremel practice and the purchasing a decent soldering iron.

Can't say I've ever really been a fan of the 911 but this one might just grow on me somewhere down the line.

:) 

psx 7743

DSC09874

The shocks are a mixture of 1.5mm brass rod, 2mm brass tube, 3mm aluminium tube and some 3.18mm springs. Superglue for the aluminium outer bits and a tight fit on the top of the centre brass rod seems to have kept them together well enough so far. All just shaped using cordless drill and small files and polishing pads.

Here's some diagrams of the parts.

PSX 7791

PSX 7801

• Like 6

Thanks fellas :)

Wasn't intending to leave it quite this long Harvey but my nails rarely all grow nicely and no way was I cutting them for a miniature 911!!!

:D

Things to do list definitely includes getting some square tube and replace my ancient soldering iron. That bodge job on the frame can certainly be done better.

Something with adjustable heat and some different temp solders would be very useful. 

• Like 1

Thanks Sharknose, I'll agree they're nice just not something I've ever dreamed of owning.

My friend on the other hand, wants this to sit on his desk at work because he can't afford the real thing. I can understand why. :)

Today has mostly been a square peg round hole kind of day. Or more specifically making square tube from round tube. 

Whilst waiting for square tube delivery (and having no idea how well it will bend) it seemed logical to try some 3mm round tube and file/dremel it square-ish. Could turn out to be a usable result.

The idea in my head at the moment is to cut some short 1.5mm brass rod pins to hold pieces together for the soldering.

And just for giggles, here's the "bench" Harvey. Or to give it its more accurate name, the living room floor!!! :D 

And yes, I'm slightly envious of anyone who has a proper little working space with all the gadgets and tools I wouldn't mind myself.

maybe one day :) 

• Like 3

Today the delivery of square tubes got here (1.6mm, 2mm & 2.4mm) and I had some time to see how it works and it bends rather nicely. So made a new attempt with the 2.4mm. 

And thought it best to have a decent go at some accuracy which will be needed when the suspension arms get fitted. So put some pins in a plate to sort of use as a basic jig and here's how it's looking so far starting with the plastic bits which will get ditched.

And this was delivered yesterday and I gotta say for 24 quid it's really nice and so easy to use.

I definitely needed a new one. 

Did have an experiment session last night with how to fit suspension arms and this is what I came up with.

Combination of some of the modified 3mm round tube (which will get replaced with 2.4 square now), 2mm tube for the end, 1.5mm rod & 1mm tube for the fixing pin.

I shall return when I have some arms finished and attached. 

• Like 3

Thank you Homerlovesbeer,

If it wasn't for the others on this site scratchbuilding stuff I probably wouldn't even try things like this. 

I'm fortunate that my dad was a mechanic so I know my way around a car, and have had manufacturing jobs in the past so know a few basic practical skills. But such small scale is a bit of a challenge and to be honest I don't often have much in the way of better things to do!! :D 

Worst case scenario it all goes wrong and the finished car will be pretty much the box parts and I've wasted a bit of brass.

:) 

• Like 1

Certainly getting plenty of practice Harvey. This is third go on the frames alone.

Luckily it means I can practice more on the previous versions to work out how to fit the arms nicely. :D 

Here's the first go at one of those.

It's a bit crude, but the idea has potential. I'm getting confused now and again though cos my brain sees the stuff the right way up but I'm working on it upside down and knowing that's the upper front arm makes me keep thinking somethings wrong!!

:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You've done some good work there, Nikki.....am proud of ya! Your solder joints look firm and true.

Don't forget that you're using macro-settings, though, cos they show EVERY file mark etc.(  I'm sure you knew that anyway lol).

If you treat every piece as though it's a model on it's own and perfect each piece, then the finished assembly of parts will fall together and give you a big smile...………..guaranteed!:D

• Like 2

To be perfectly honest, I'm just amazed that you can see what you're doing with something this small, let alone make such a good job of it. Shaping up for a really impressive end result by the looks of it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Your solder joints look firm and true.

Don't forget that you're using macro-settings, though, cos they show EVERY file mark etc.(  I'm sure you knew that anyway lol).

If you treat every piece as though it's a model on it's own and perfect each piece, then the finished assembly of parts will fall together and give you a big smile...………..guaranteed!:D

The new soldering iron has turned out to be an essential purchase, suddenly joining bits together seems really easy and now I can add bits without everything else falling apart!! 

I have no idea what the correct way to join brass is but I'm finding a quick dab with the tip at about 320 deg is heating the bit I want sufficiently without melting everything else. Using 0.7 60sn40pb solder. And quickly getting into the habit of cleaning the tip in the little tip cleaning pot.

And yes the 100 macro lens is the best/worst lens I own for showing any minute flaws but sharing detailed close up shots is better for others to see how I'm doing stuff and letting you experts see where I might be going wrong on bits. And I do love a bit of macro photography so keeping it set up somewhere near is like 2 hobbies for the price of one. 

And as for guaranteed smiles, I'm doing that already from just making single items. If it all eventually fits together properly I'll be delirious!!!! :D 

19 hours ago, Spiny said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm just amazed that you can see what you're doing with something this small, let alone make such a good job of it. Shaping up for a really impressive end result by the looks of it.

Thanks Spiny,

Truth is my eyes are no longer any good at focusing at anything much within 3ft and need +1.5 reading glasses to use phone or laptop. For putting bits like that 1mm pin in that pivot joint I have to resort the +3.5 glasses. I stock up with extra pairs every time I visit one of the Pound shops. :)  

• Like 2

Today I ditched the original thought on the control arms today and plumped for a much easier option. And one that's less likely to break.

So it's now 2mm round tube all through with the end just squashed flat and drilled. 

And here's 4 of those fitted into the rear frames. :)  

• Like 2

Attempt #1 at a lower arm.

Couple of bits of 1.6mm square joined to a bit of 2mm round tube since that would be suitable to fit the wheel hub part in the kit.

And here's how it looks with the kit hub fitted. Will have a go at some tidying up tomorrow when the dremel is likely to get less noise complaints :D 

Still undecided whether to make new hubs since the kit parts would make things much simpler to fit the discs and wheels. And the hubs are pretty much hidden once they're on.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 20:06, harveyb258 said:

I kept reading this bit and you're absolutely right on both counts.

If I'm really going to attempt to make a scale version of this car it needs to a) be the most accurate version I can make and b) look pretty good on the close up photography. And since the lower suspension arms a) looked to be joined on fairly untidy and b) weren't actually pivoting very well I decided to had another go.

And c) if there's working parts as much of the parts need to be seen rather that the joints that hold them together. :D  

This time starting from the lower arms upwards and cutting joints in better. The shocks have 4mm of travel and this new arm has double that amount and being done before attaching the uprights has made these joints much easier to tidy up.

With the new improvements in my soldering I can see no reason why I can't fit the upper arms neater than the previous attempts even if it takes a while. :) 

P.S. the smile has already got bigger just from this one piece!!! 

• Like 6

I'm starting to really like using a grinding disc on a dremel!! :D  

Other side lower arm is finished.

I tacked a length of 1.6 square on to help hold that little piece of 2.4 in place for the soldering. And there's 0.8mm fixing pins on the outsides but only to half way through the 1.6mm bars. 

Hopefully enough to hold them in the right place but not too much to restrict movement. 

And how they look up and down. :) 

I'm beginning to think I may just have to upgrade the hubs. Or at the very least find some tiny screws for these bottom joints.

• Like 2