New Tamiya Mk I Spitfire Question regarding Windscreen

Brad-M

Guys/Gals,

Is there a windscreen in this new kit that is an early one without the glass armour? The kit comes with the older radio mast and pitot tube, so I'd like to build an early Spitfire with the Watts prop. I have the prop, but was wondering about the windscreen.

Thanks

Brad

Brad, I believe the kit comes with three seperate windscreens, one of which is the early version with no armoured glass. From what I believe the only thing missing from the kit is the two bladed prop, which you already have. The early two pronged pitot is also available so it’s happy days I say. 

On a really technical scale the very earliest No. 19 Squadron Spits also had extended MG blast tubes at the no.2 & 7 gun positions and there was also some type of thin metal guard that wrapped around the top of the fin. Best to check as many photos as possible of your chosen subject or just ask us here! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Oh - Now that I think a bit more, Gunsights were also a later edition to these very earliest examples. I’m not sure what the instructions suggest for the early OOB version that Tamiya provides. 

• Like 1

My only issue with doing an early Spitfire (ie one of the first produced) from the Tamiya kit is that they appear to have the ‘armour’ plate over the upper fuel tank integrally moulded.

This extra panel, intended I believe more to deflect rounds than stop them, was introduced some months after the first aircraft were delivered. To be absolutely correct it would have to be sanded back to remove it if you are looking to do an early production plane.

PR

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Scooby said:

There are three different screens as mentioned.

I have the kit in hand, they arrived in Edmonton shops last week. $56.99. They were in Toronto the previous week. I now have two. :)

I have mine in my hand right now, and my bag with the clear pars only contains 2 actual windscreens, plus an two optional armoured pieces that gets added to the windscreen.

Brad

I just realized something else for a pre-war Spit, and that's the flat canopy. Should an early Mk I Spit not have a flat canopy? The Tamiya kit does not include one.

Brad

31 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Notice on that shot that the new vertically-bulged canopy (it's still flat-sided) is a field modification SO new that the frame is either in primer or natural metal, not painted to match the rest of the aeroplane.

You are obviously right when we look at the aircraft in front, but you look at n. 3, it is not so easy to see.

17 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I've seen several photos of Mk Is with lighter coloured canopy frames, including BoB era aircraft. I suspect that they were supplied unpainted.

It didn't take me many seconds to verify your statement. Another thing to remember. If you do not have a photo of the Spitfire under construction, you are on your own.