Fairey Battle TT

Sosezi

Those are excellent books about the Battle,......there is another book which has been recently released,.......but I have not seen it myself and I`m in two minds whether to buy it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairey-Battle-Reassessment-its-Career/dp/1781555850/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544125640&sr=1-1&keywords=fairey+battle

Good luck with your models mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

I have both. The Baughen book is an excellent reappraisal of an aircraft having to do more that should have been expected of it, directed by people who didn't appreciate the speed of modern warfare. The A-B book helped me on background research of local aircraft crashes.

For the modeller, I recommend the superb plans and photos in:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=huntley&tn=fairey+battle&kn=&isbn=&n=100121503

I think it was meant to be the first of a series of monographs, that didn't take off.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ossington said:

I have both. The Baughen book is an excellent reappraisal of an aircraft having to do more that should have been expected of it, directed by people who didn't appreciate the speed of modern warfare. The A-B book helped me on background research of local aircraft crashes.

For the modeller, I recommend the superb plans and photos in:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=huntley&tn=fairey+battle&kn=&isbn=&n=100121503

I think it was meant to be the first of a series of monographs, that didn't take off.

Of course I'll get one!! Thank you!

by the way my most favourite in the battle interior is instrument panel because of landing gear marker in front of eyes 😆 Love the PORT and STARBOARD written on it~Simply Great!

as for my background I am Ex Air Force Cadet of the Russian AF School back in 2009 so I know the things well and Fairey Battle's instrument panel looking Simply Great! layout is just perfect to me :)Sadly I didn't flew Battles..... 😭I was ground crew guy and later Airfield Guard Unit member. and of course  NO BATTLES in Russia (now I'm living in Japan)

my dream is to visit UK and of course RAF Museum, as far as I know there's one of the MkI's I'm correct? 

Cheers!

Andrey

Edited by Sosezi
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, Sosezi said:

It seems at that time Irish/UK relationships weren't that bad :) 

This is turning into a bit of a history lesson, but most people do not know that the Republic of Ireland remained a member of the British Commonwealth until April 1949. What are known as the "troubles" between the Provisional IRA and the British Government did not flare until the late 1960s and into the 1970s, within Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom, although they benefitted from safe haven to an extent in the Republic of Ireland (the independent South).

3 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

This is turning into a bit of a history lesson, but most people do not know that the Republic of Ireland remained a member of the British Commonwealth until April 1949. What are known as the "troubles" between the Provisional IRA and the British Government did not flare until the late 1960s and into the 1970s, within Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom, although they benefitted from safe haven to an extent in the Republic of Ireland (the independent South).

complicated topic but yes.... IRA "problem" makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 10:00 AM, Biggles81 said:

On 12/6/2018 at 8:04 AM, Sosezi said:

It seems at that time Irish/UK relationships weren't that bad :) 

Nowhere near as bad as many believed at the time. There was a great deal of cooperation. The RAF supplied a Queen Mary trailer to recover crashed aircraft for the RAF and anything of interest from Luftwaffe crashes. Even a whole JU88 Nightfighter collected by a certain Eric 'Winkle' Brown, no less.  If the Air Corps kept every landing, they'd have quite the little Airforce by the end of the war. Intelligence was also sent onto London by the Irish military. None of this was made public at the time so a bit of a myth of mutual hostility has remained.

On the point of a 'safe haven'. It wasn't so safe for the IRA. Many were interned for much of the war to keep them from mischief. Same again when they started trouble in the fifties. 

I think even now there must be untold stories of period.

Going back to the Battle. I have an Aeroclub metal winch in 1/72 bought which was intended for no 92. But I need to get an actual Battle kit to use it on. Bit slow on that front.

Btw, one point,  Ireland only became a republic in 1949. It was in fact a dominion until then. Herewith the lesson ends.🙂

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

As far as I know relationships aren't bad but not very smooth... IRA are troublemakers~ another people are okay 

but yes back to the Battle TT 

I will try to represent her as BEFORE nose art paint scheme because I LIKE BLACK UNDERSIDES :) 

and of course in 1/48 by Classic Airframes and in 1/72 Airfix or MPM~ 

about Airfix I'll not do global surgery because I want to keep Classic Airfix kit shape (sounds odd but I love it as it is) 

but convert to TT version using my own hands and some plastic/metal parts

Cheers 

Andrey