German Battleship Tirpitz

3 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

I am not very good with the P/E (in my opinion at least). 

Thanks for the tips. 

So modest ;) 

Who would you say was a master of PE? someone to aspire to have the skills of? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Folks,

Well I‘m back at her!

and to start off this revival I have a question...

I was wondering whether or not to replace the molded on blobs of plastic that resemble the ladders from the weather deck to the waterline...

2-AD5-B82-B-FB43-44-C6-9173-BE925-EFD621

so I built a little drilling jig from leftover pe-fret after measuring the kit ladders.

6053-E65-F-C584-4598-A2-AB-0-B93-D14-AA3

here‘s how the new steps would look like on a piece of scrap plasticard...

AA680965-8-C5-E-419-A-835-E-F76-D427-CE6
D8-A3-D972-B7-AE-4394-BC26-3-EE3084-A7-D

and compared to the kit version:

33-CF1-D43-AD40-4-CAD-8075-006244218340.

So my question is is it really worth the drilling of more than 100 0.3mm holes? Does it look significantly better than the plastic steps???

Any comments on that matter would be highly appreciated!!!

cheers Konrad

• Like 2

Oh and I forgot: I also did some real work on her😉

installed the bridge wings. I decided to solder them to make them a little bit more handable...

647538-A9-24-F4-44-FD-A420-C2-A9066-B568

DDECC6-B4-72-ED-43-AE-85-A4-CB88-C69-B1-

B8-B37911-D791-4-E62-BB0-E-3719973-C6442

F0-EF594-F-1-FA7-47-E2-84-AA-0646-AACBF6

Also did this little “houses“ on the aft superstructure. Anyone who knows what they are, feel free to enlighten me😅

29-BEB020-BEFF-4-DE1-BEB0-71-A43-C7-BCF9

5-C2-A39-DD-C6-AE-4263-93-B5-DB44-DA64-F

also drilled the missing portholes fwd and aft of the main turrets

61-E44-B64-9-C0-A-4-EAD-8650-260-B925-C4

So the ready-for-paint board gets bigger and bigger😊

100-F7-D64-C4-E3-49-D4-9-C85-26-EA72-AFB

that‘s it for now

cheers Konrad

• Like 5

Since you have done such good work so far, it begs the question; will the time and effort spent doing the work, provide you the satisfaction of having done the work in the first place?

On a more technical nit-pick level, and to continue with your quality work. Are there drawings of the grab irons, that provide details of size, how far from the side of the Tirpitz they extend?

Jerry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

So my question is is it really worth the drilling of more than 100 0.3mm holes?

2 hours ago, Jerry L said:

On a more technical nit-pick level, and to continue with your quality work. Are there drawings of the grab irons, that provide details of size, how far from the side of the Tirpitz they extend?

Imho, the scratched example is oversize and I would leave well alone. 0.3mm wire would equate to about 100mm, (4") and should be about 0.1mm!

To answer Jerry's question of rung clearance. I would image about 6-8" as you need to have a safe footing, so that'll be a 0.4-0.6mm clearance on the model and we also have a step height to think about.

At the end of the day, it's your build.

Stuart

3 hours ago, Jerry L said:

will the time and effort spent doing the work, provide you the satisfaction of having done the work in the first place?

To be honest, I doubt it... even with the jig I could not get the holes perfectly aligned and it’s even more difficult to bend the wire correctly so it is somewhat rectangular...

59 minutes ago, Courageous said:

the scratched example is oversize

It is in fact the same thickness as the plastic ones but I agree that it looks too chunky. 

Maybe I‘ll do another test with thinner wire.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers Konrad

Gidday Konrad, my ships are 1/600 and I don't do PE, my skill level isn't good enough. But I'm inclined to agree with Jerry and Stuart above in that they may look a little over-size. Also, with that many rungs the chances of one out of alignment despite your drilling jig are good and can draw a viewers attention to it, whereas the molded rungs are discrete and consistent - a viewer's attention of the detail will be drawn to the upperworks I think. I stress again. I speak in ignorance as I don't do such fine detail but if you don't get it completely right it might detract from an otherwise superb model rather than add to it. But again, as Stuart says - it is your model. I hope this helps and not confuse you. 

Regards, Jeff.

• 1 month later...
On 20/04/2019 at 20:39, AndyPG said:

Hi Konrad,

Any updates?

Andy.

Sorry Andy,

nothing to show atm... I bought the super 3D drawings from Kagero for detail work and am in the planning stage for creating a diorama around the Tirpitz. She‘ll be at anchorage in the Fjords with maybe one or two small boats around. I have a couple of the trumpeter S-100 but I‘m not sure yet.

Main focus is on the 1/72 Pirate ship as my lovely girlfriend wants something „more decorative“ for the living room...(her words not mine)

cheers Konrad

On 01/03/2019 at 16:22, USS_ESSESS said:

So my question is is it really worth the drilling of more than 100 0.3mm holes? Does it look significantly better than the plastic steps???

Not much of an improvement to my eyes, while the wire gives a more detailed feel the minor misalignments there draw the attention more than the more discreet blobbiness of the molded rungs.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a while...

After some way too stressfull months I finally found some time to spent a couple of hours in the mancave.

As I stated in April, the Tirpitz will get a seascape. My first to be honest... I have seen some really great results around here and I'm really keen to try it myself.

But as I'm not too confident regarding the result I decided to bury the full hull into styrofoam rather than cutting it at the waterline. So if I fail I can still build her on a stand.

Today I started!

T75.jpg

I had this picture frame lying around and it fits perfectly.

T76.jpg

first try was to freehand trace the outline of the hull... that didn't work so well so I drew the keel line and measured the width at some obious points. that was way more promising.

T77.jpg

the fit is not perfect but definitely good enough to carry on... I really like how that transforms the profile of the ship. She's a real beauty!

T78.jpg
T79.jpg

So here is my planed layout:

T80.jpg

The rectangles on her starbordside are supposed to be some concrete mooring platforms. The whole scene is set in a fictional fjord as I'm not willing to depict a real place... on her portside the embarkation ladder sits on a floating ponton with one barge alongside and maybe a second one departing (tendering). Also I want to include one of trumpeters S100 Boats passing by. I recon the distance is way too close but thats all the space I have. The decision to show the tirpitz moored had two reasons... first, that‘s how she passed the majority of her active service time and second, (the more important reason) I guess doing calm water might be easier than sculpting realistical waves.

Let me know what you are thinking, all kind of criticism I highly appreciated!

Cheers Konrad

Edited by USS_ESSESS
  • Like 3

Good idea for the base.

I did this a few years ago but wrapped the hull in clingfilm to protect it whilst I sculpted the waves etc. so there was no damage to the hull. 

Result? easily removable full hull model for stand display when required.

• Like 1