This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi everyone,

this is my first WIP on this site...

I'm already some weeks into this build so no real 'in progress' pictures.

I don't have too much time for modelling so my focus lies on building rather than taking pictures on the go.

But now I found some time and thought I share some pictures.

The kit should be well known, its the 1/350 Tamiya Tirpitz. I got it as a present from friends last year for my birthday and used the time to obtain some goodies for it: the eduard big ed set and a wooden deck from a chinese companie I do not know...

So here we go:

bridge assembly

T01.jpg

T02.jpg

upper bridge

T03.jpg

T04.jpg

T05.jpg

full bridge assembly:

T06.jpg

and with radars

T07.jpg

all radars:

T08.jpg

T09.jpgT10.jpg

funnel:

T11.jpgT12.jpg

scratchbuilt interior:

T13.jpg

...aaaaand how little you see when the funnel cap is attached... I don't want to imagine how it looks after painting... At least I know its there! :D

T26.jpg

Now the hangars, first the only WIP I can show:

side hangar before and after PE

T14.jpg

both done:

T15.jpg

big hangar:

T16.jpg

T18.jpg

T19.jpg

Now the big pieces:

T20.jpg

T21.jpg

and everything together so far... looks like theres more brass than plastic :P

T22.jpg

T23.jpg

and next the wooden decking...

T24.jpg

there are many issues with that... for example

T25.jpg

1 easy to fix problems where eduard replaced the 'balconies'...

2 Big problem where eduard corrected wrong fittings on the deck... I still have no idea what to do with that... maybe fill in pieces out of sheet to simulate hatches...🤔

3 Huge problem where shields where moved to the correct positions... see also the first picture of the wooden decking aft of the 2nd tower in front of the bridge...

I dont know what to do... as shown on previous pictures eduard provides etched decking but I know my painting skills will never be good enough to stand up to the real wooden decking on the main deck...

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Konrad

Good show, lots of detail.

No idea how you solve your problems.

Carry on with the good work.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!

Well I still have no good solution for the wooden deck problem but I carried on regardless.

The next installment was the masts.

main mast assembly was a little tricky with that amount of PE...

the kit parts used:

T27.jpg

...and modified

T28.jpg

there was an issue with one of the ladders eduard provided... way too short!

luckily I had some spares

T29.jpg

and the finished main mast

T30.jpgT31.jpgT32.jpg

And how it looks in its place

T33.jpgT34.jpg

Next, the forward mast.

Take this...

T35.jpg

...add that...

T36.jpg

T37.jpg

...aand you get a finished mast!

T39.jpgT40.jpg

Thats it for the moment.

Next in line will be cranes and small deck fittings and as soon as the brass barrels arrive, the armament.

thanks for watching, any comments welcome

Konrad

Impressive work on the masts with you your own touches too. Good step-by-step images :yes:.

Stuart

Great work on the superstructure. It's looking real good. As to the deck discrepancies, I have no idea. If you don't mind cutting extra thin strips of masking tape you can mask and paint the deck almost panel by panel. Time intensive to be sure, but if you're not in a rush it's a viable alternative.

Or... Trim what you have (of the wood decking) and use the extra that it was cut out of to fill in any gaps.

Like you I didn't want to paint a deck area, but after watching some youtube (mainly about painting WW1 aircraft...) I did some practice, then took the plunge. Now I don't know what the fuss was about 😋.

Have a look into it, I find it much easier than getting aftermarket decks to fit.

On 06/12/2018 at 08:37, Courageous said:

Impressive work on the masts with you your own touches too. Good step-by-step images :yes:.

Stuart

On 07/12/2018 at 09:05, mick said:

great work

Thank you!

On 07/12/2018 at 07:31, Bigdave22014 said:

Like you I didn't want to paint a deck area, but after watching some youtube (mainly about painting WW1 aircraft...) I did some practice, then took the plunge. Now I don't know what the fuss was about 😋.

Have a look into it, I find it much easier than getting aftermarket decks to fit.

I might give it another try on a test piece but every wooden finish I tried so far looked somehow scrappy... :(

On 07/12/2018 at 02:53, Thom216 said:

Great work on the superstructure. It's looking real good. As to the deck discrepancies, I have no idea. If you don't mind cutting extra thin strips of masking tape you can mask and paint the deck almost panel by panel. Time intensive to be sure, but if you're not in a rush it's a viable alternative.

Or... Trim what you have (of the wood decking) and use the extra that it was cut out of to fill in any gaps.

The trimming and filling in thing looks like the route I might try although the offcuts do not have the decking cut into it. Maybe reproduce the pattern with a hard pencil?

Next steps:

I built the cranes and had the chance to use my dremel as an improvised lathe. The eduard set included a pulley with a 2D Stand (or wathever it is). that just didn't look wright so I turned a toothpick into a 3D version of that thing.

T41.jpg

and all in place:

T42.jpgT43.jpg

not sure wether to use all the PE parts for the crane jibs so I postpone this part.

Moving on to armament!

first the torpedo tubes before and after the brass treatment

T44.jpg

and a scenic view also showing the masts in place

T47.jpg

T48.jpg

the Postman brought me something!

YEAY!!!

T49.jpg
T50.jpg

I might have bitten up more than I can chew with the 20mm AA...

but time will tell.

For now I started with the big guns.

You can clearly see the age of the kit with all undersides just open... had to fix that

T51.jpg

just for comparison

T52.jpg

and the complete turret

T53.jpgT54.jpg

and all four done:

T55.jpg

Thats it for now...

Only so many things to still complete before I can finally get to priming and painting...:(

Thanks for watching, all kind of comments welcome

Konrad

Hi Konrad

Well done so far. What will you be using for the blast bags betwwen the main guns and the turrets?

Regards Toby

Outstanding! The turrets look great, esp with those new barrels.

As for the decking, a fine ruler and maybe a hobby knife with a brand new blade and a very fine stroke..?

18 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

Hi Konrad

Well done so far. What will you be using for the blast bags betwwen the main guns and the turrets?

Regards Toby

Asking the real questions here...

honestly I have no idea. I guess I could sculpt them using Green stuff or something similar but that would take me the option of displaying the ship in different situations... 

Does anyone know a way to produce moveable blastbags in 1:350?

Konrad