Sepecat Jaguar GR.1A

On 19/12/2018 at 02:03, Phone Phixer said:

Only the "small bombs" as you call them, are actual weapons. They are BL755 cluster bombs

The 2 larger objects are 1200 litre fuel tanks (drop tanks). They were either carried one on each inboard pylon, or a single one on the centreline pylon.

The single large object is the BAe recce pod, it was full of wet film cameras and an IR linescan camera. This would only be carried by Jags from the 2 recce squadrons, 2 and 41 Sqn

The Jags did not carry asymmetric loads. It would be the same on each wing. Phimat/ECM pods were counterbalanced to even out the weight. Early Jags were so underpowered they needed the curvature of the earth to take off!!!!!!

There was a black Jaguar, flown by 16(R) Sqn in the late 90's. It was the display aircraft for the season.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7hNDc5arfAhVo0FQKHRuDBaoQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aviaworld.com%2Fphoto%2FAir%20Show%20Special%20Colour%20Schemes%2Fslides%2FSepecat%20Jaguar%20-%20Jaguar%20GR1A%20Black%20Saint.html&psig=AOvVaw3RjSkJV33HDpRMEhPr6zfR&ust=1545271096211185

Hope this helps

Rob (ex Jaguar armourer)

Hi Rob, seems you are my go to expert on this build😊, a bit late in the day but I have changed direction on this one. I suddenly realised the stores/ordnance I was building wasn't suitable for the aircraft I had chosen. Consequently I have gone for the the Jag from 41 squadron, built  and painted the recce pod and AN/ALQ-101and PHIMAT 's. My question is would it ever had carried the BL 755 bombs or just the 1200 Ltr tanks ?

Edited by Telboy3510
Predictive text
  • Like 1

If you are going with the ECM & Phimat fit, it would usually have 1200 ltr drop tanks on the inboards. BL755 CBU's could be loaded on the inboards, but the range would be limited by less fuel being carried.

Photo is of a 41 Sqn Jag in a typical recce fit after the first Gulf war when overwing Sidewinders were introduced.

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p880191478/h75A109AB#h75a109ab

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

If you are going with the ECM & Phimat fit, it would usually have 1200 ltr drop tanks on the inboards. BL755 CBU's could be loaded on the inboards, but the range would be limited by less fuel being carried.

Photo is of a 41 Sqn Jag in a typical recce fit after the first Gulf war when overwing Sidewinders were introduced.

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p880191478/h75A109AB#h75a109ab

Thanks for that, it seems logical now that if it's going on a Recce mission it would need to carry more fuel. Drop tanks it is then.😊

So just a quick update, having decided to go with the advice 'Phone fixer' has given me I had to dig out and build the Recce pod.

Here it is all sprayed up.

IMG-4408.jpg

I'm really liking the varied tones you can achieve with black basing in this scale. Just a little concerned that I might be over doing it.

IMG-4409.jpg

And here it is fitted. I have got to give the glue plenty of time to dry, as you can see the brass rod it will be mounted on goes through the centre of the recce pod so there will be quite a lot of stress on that join, having said that the rod extends into the aircraft so should be ok.  She's very shiny at the moment due to lots of 'Kleer' being applied at each stage, am I right in assuming the finish should be semi gloss?

Edited by Telboy3510
Repeated sentence
  • Like 4

When I started out on this adventure where I would put on display my modelling (or lack of them), the one thing that was not on my radar that the decals would become a problem. Out of the 20+ models I have displayed on this forum I have never had a problem in that area, so imagine my frustration when this happened.

IMG-4410.jpg

IMG-4412.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what has caused this, I used Micro-set and Micro-sol exactly the same method as with all previous builds. You might be able to see also that all the other decals have silvered, including the ones on the underside  .Unfortunately I have sealed those in in the hope that the matt coat I finish with will hide some of the damage.

So I have removed all the ones on the upper surfaces with some Frog tape.

IMG-4413.jpg 

So back to square one, I am probably going to have respray some areas and do a bit of flattening with the micro mesh, and until I acquire some new decals this project is on hold.

Thanks for looking and watch this space. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had exactly the same issue with the No Step decals on my Revell Jag too.

I just left them as it was though as I've no idea how to fix it so convinced myself you can only see it in certain light!

Very nice Jag by the way.

Yep that’s about normal for the kit decals.  I have heard of them being punctured with multiple small cuts to allow micro set & sol to get in underneath but haven’t tried it myself

Get the paint surface as glossy as you can. It is also possible to cut and gently remove the carrier film close to the printed area when they have almost dried. Use a fresh blade and only use enough pressure to cut the film.

I also recommend the Mr decal softer and setter, quite effective stuff.

Hope you can get it to work as the model looks super by the way.

Atb, Steve.

10 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I had exactly the same issue with the No Step decals on my Revell Jag too.

I just left them as it was though as I've no idea how to fix it so convinced myself you can only see it in certain light!

Very nice Jag by the way.

I know exactly what you mean, With the ones on the underside I decided I would display it banking so no one will ever see (although I know what they are like) but the ones on the tops were terrible, actually the photo makes them look a bit better.

10 hours ago, bar side said:

Yep that’s about normal for the kit decals.  I have heard of them being punctured with multiple small cuts to allow micro set & sol to get in underneath but haven’t tried it myself.

I've built other Revell kits and never had this problem, I have a Lancaster in the stash I hope the decals in that one are better.

9 hours ago, triumphfan said:

Get the paint surface as glossy as you can. It is also possible to cut and gently remove the carrier film close to the printed area when they have almost dried. Use a fresh blade and only use enough pressure to cut the film.

I also recommend the Mr decal softer and setter, quite effective stuff.

Hope you can get it to work as the model looks super by the way.

Atb, Steve.

I think you are right about the surface, it does have a very slight grainy feel to it, but I've got away with it before. So yes that's my plan to get it as smooth as possible, I did say it is a learning process.

2 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

I've built other Revell kits and never had this problem, I have a Lancaster in the stash I hope the decals in that one are better.

Hopefully they are better - mine were the Airfix decals that were badly out of register for the roundels and the decals you had problems with didn’t sit well.  However I had used a semi Matt finish & even with a coat to gloss it up it probably wasn’t smooth enough for those decals.

Well a big shout out for Revell, I contacted them and they are going to send me a new set of decals but because they are coming from Germany I will have to wait 4-6 weeks. With that in mind I decided to tidy up the paintwork from where I had removed the previous decals. I found I was losing some of the different paint tones that I liked, so I tried some post shading. Long story short it was a mess so in a fit of pique I decided to go back to square one.

IMG-4415.jpg

Following 'Triumphfan's' advice I have rubbed the whole thing smooth with various grades of wet and dry. My reasoning is if I start off with a smooth surface I should be able to keep the coats smooth and then before the decals are applied I will give it a few coats of 'Klear' and then rub that smooth with very fine wet and dry. Fortunately the panel lines are a little exaggerated so I should be able to get away with it.

The cockpit canopies came off during the clean up but hopefully they will come through fairly unscathed. On the upside it has given me an opportunity to rectify a couple of little niggles I was going to put up with. So onward and upward. 

Thanks everybody for the kind comments and advice, always appreciated. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Well the decals arrived as promised and here we have the finished model.

IMG-4471.jpg

IMG-4470.jpg

As it happens the second set of decals were no better than the first, but I had prepared it following the advice I received and it shone like a mirror.

I think the first paint job was  a lot better than the second, but I had said its been a learning curve.

Thanks for all the nice comments, help (particularly 'At Sea') who provided the pilot, and advice.

• Like 3