1/48 resin Gannet AEW3

jaw

On 28/12/2018 at 10:05 PM, Simon Cornes said:

I have an Alleycat 1/72 AEW3 in the stash somewhere and I was thinking that might provide some good basic reference for the operators cockpit. I have an idea that the windows need to be more 'hemispherical' than as moulded but that's relatively easy compared to producing a replacement canopy. We are very lucky though. Got my January SAM today and there is a suggestion that there will be build article at some point - I think Colin 'Flying' Picket has one - but as the number of kits is limited then the number who will be interested will be even more limited - but it might stimulate a mainline manufacturer to produce an injection moulded kit? Not that I need one though! 

Hi Simon,

for the opretors cockpit you can use Cabin Interior Detail Set for Gannet AEW.3 from SWORD item code SWDD7201.

Hi Linus,

I didn't know that but I think what I have with the Alleycat kit will be more than adequate.

I see that the chap on eBay is now up for offers on his AS/AEW Franken-gannet? I bet he is! Ah well, I suppose he's happy with it and see's what completed models sell for (or are advertised for)on eBay and thinks 'Why not?' If he sells a few at what appear to be much more 'reasonable' prices to Joe P then good luck to him but its better that we don't know!!

Simon

On 12/28/2018 at 9:05 PM, Simon Cornes said:

I have an Alleycat 1/72 AEW3 in the stash somewhere and I was thinking that might provide some good basic reference for the operators cockpit.

Hope these are of use, though the operational sets have been removed they give a good idea of layout and colours.

16481981733_b460cc6880_c.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 observers cabin looking fwd & seat bases by James Thomas, on Flickr

9686622309_a65b29d1ca_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL472 044 observers cabin 4 Sep 13 by James Thomas, on Flickr

There are around ten or so shots in my album, https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56270329%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=GANNET&view_all=1

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2019 at 11:32 AM, Simon Cornes said:

Hi Linus,

I didn't know that but I think what I have with the Alleycat kit will be more than adequate.

I see that the chap on eBay is now up for offers on his AS/AEW Franken-gannet? I bet he is! Ah well, I suppose he's happy with it and see's what completed models sell for (or are advertised for)on eBay and thinks 'Why not?' If he sells a few at what appear to be much more 'reasonable' prices to Joe P then good luck to him but its better that we don't know!!

Simon

Once seen it can never be unseen.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hope these are of use, though the operational sets have been removed they give a good idea of layout and colours.

16481981733_b460cc6880_c.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 observers cabin looking fwd & seat bases by James Thomas, on Flickr

9686622309_a65b29d1ca_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL472 044 observers cabin 4 Sep 13 by James Thomas, on Flickr

There are around ten or so shots in my album, https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56270329%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=GANNET&view_all=1

Great photos James. I thought the intention was to make XL500 airworthy again? A long time since I read that and I suppose these things take a lot of time (and  even more money) but I see your photos were over 6 years ago. Any idea what the position with the airframe is now?

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a reply from CMK that their 1/72 Palouste set will be upscaled to 1/48, with more detail, hopefully the master finished by the end of the month. Great news to add detail to this kit or any other FAA air starter aircraft.

• Like 2