1/48 resin Gannet AEW3

jaw

I’ve got a CA Gannet so will see what the canopy fit is like in comparison. Not trying to fit two total different mark Spitfire lids on!....but if the main hood is similar i.e bulged sufficiently and can be trimmed to match screen and bulkhead,  scaled down in 1/48 the Dynavector one could mate to the fuselage or it would be thin enough to be slid back in the open position. The current one looks like a barnacle and hinged up and over rather than slid back.

I agree about the decals they are very iffy, but should be relatively easy to replace apart from the squadron markings. 

It would take a braver man than me ( and a far better modeller)to attempt to fold the wings as they are solid resin.

The canopy and windscreen are very thick and none too clear but may polish up, but the rest of the kit looks ok IMHO

On 12/14/2018 at 3:33 AM, Julien said:

There are pics of the Yeovilton one, Newark one, and the Elvington one in the Walkaround section for you guys buliding this;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/73252-fairey-gannet-aew3/

Julien

Thank you Julien, very interesting the walkaround, so now I can see many details for all my little 1/72AEW3 (Aeroclub, Magna, Alley Cat, and  Sword) and now I waiting the big 1/48 from Alan to put near at the Gannet AS1 from Classic Airframe and Dynavector.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Does anyone else have difficulty communicating with Alan, or is it just me? I e-mailed him again last week (Wednesday) and haven't had a reply. I used the right address!! I'm a bit disappointed really!!

Are you using the right address? it's yahoo.co.uk   not .com

He often does his emails late at night.  I waited 2 days for his original reply, after that they were quick.

Mine arrived today, and can't say nothing but "hats off" to Alan.

I find it a very nice kit overall. The resin cast is smooth, with some flash around the small parts, but nothing an average modeller couldn't cope. Some parts seem to be cast in polyester resin, wich make them fragile, so careful handling is advised. The only thing to solve is the afore mentioned clear resin canopy....the fit looks to be spot on, but given the nature of the material, it's a little bit on the thick side, and some cockpit datail will be difficult to see once closed, and it's too thick to be left in the open position. A vacuform replacement will be mandatory if you're worried about that cockpit detail wich is, IMHO, more than enough for the average modeller.  If you prefer to polish it, and lbuild it in the closed position, that will be fine. The decals seem to be useable, but as he honestly advices in the supplied instructions, an overcoat of clear will be a good idea, as they are inkjet printed.

To cut a long story short, Alan has done an excellent work with this "pregnant" Gannet. Thank you very much for such a good work.

Best regards.

Arturo

• Like 3

Just ordered the last one! Wonder if Alan will do any more? I think job number one is to sort out a vac canopy. Anyone any good at plunge moulding? I can produce a resin master using Alan's clear stuff as a pattern but, of course, vac copies will be slightly oversize - but I won't tell anyone if you don't!!

Hi guys,

right today has arrived my (12), all the pieces are in place, and it's beautiful, if we want to be pignoli, we can say that the transparents are a bit thick, and the decals could be a little more laden with color, but we know that home-made printing can not be like those done in silkscreen printing. But for me they are more than good and I'm really happy, a big thank you to Alan who has filled a gap giving a craft kit SUPER !!! Good Alan and thank you again.

Cheers Linus

Mine has arrived (had to pretend it was a present from son to get it past SWMBO) but it is lovely! Looks like the real thing, which is more than can be said about an offering on a certain auction site!

Must have a go at filling the observers' compartment, especially with the hatches already cut out. Some careful thinning will be required!!

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davepb said:

Mine has arrived (had to pretend it was a present from son to get it past SWMBO) but it is lovely! Looks like the real thing, which is more than can be said about an offering on a certain auction site!

Must have a go at filling the observers' compartment, especially with the hatches already cut out. Some careful thinning will be required!!

Dave

I have an Alleycat 1/72 AEW3 in the stash somewhere and I was thinking that might provide some good basic reference for the operators cockpit. I have an idea that the windows need to be more 'hemispherical' than as moulded but that's relatively easy compared to producing a replacement canopy. We are very lucky though. Got my January SAM today and there is a suggestion that there will be build article at some point - I think Colin 'Flying' Picket has one - but as the number of kits is limited then the number who will be interested will be even more limited - but it might stimulate a mainline manufacturer to produce an injection moulded kit? Not that I need one though!

1 hour ago, rafrobbo said:

Someone converted the CA one here but it needs some more work and is up for the price of Alan’s kit.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113498258891

Well that is a total dog. Double cockpit, no observers positions and the wrong fin, and that's just for starters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

that's just for starters.

Love the underwing accessories, as for the cockpit, a strong wing and it will be off, don't think its glued on, serial number makes it out as a Lightning F2a, port and starboard wing lights have both fell off and its a tail sitter judging by the prop holding it up...………………….have you checked his Valiant B2???  Seems he must be running a dogs home!

1 minute ago, rayprit said:

Love the underwing accessories...………………….have you checked his Valiant B2???  Seems he must be running a dogs home!

Yes, the decals on his Vixen and Bucc leave something to be desired as well.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:58, rayprit said:

..………………….have you checked his Valiant B2???  Seems he must be running a dogs home!

Not wishing to be bitchy but...

They're a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano: so near, yet so far...

• Like 2