1/48 resin Gannet AEW3

jaw

Hi Bentwaters81tfw,

I’ve received the same, looks like we’ve both managed to bag one. I forgot that Elvington has a Gannet, XL502... so that’s three aircraft for me to decide between....

Cheers,

WV908

Looks a nice kit overall, though the Gannet is my favourite aircraft I just don't do resin so will wait for the fabled CA molds to surface one day!

One very minor thing looking at the pics of the kit, the main wheels design is that of the AS/T types, the AEW having a different pattern all together.

16481495763_fa984a944f_c.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 main undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Another two days and I still resist. Just for the protocol if SWMBO asks... Tell her how brave I am and that I did not cry.

Go on, treat yourself! After all it is Christmas. I’ve just sorted my invoice for 009, so that’s only 11 left!

anyone have any ideas on their chosen airframe? I’ve decided on XL502 and will be looking at folding the wings 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

The MA sheet is for XL494, so that is my choice. It covers my Scimitar, Vixen, Bucc, Seaking, Skyraider, Seahawk and Whirlwind. Also a SeaVenom if a good one turns up. The complete Ark Royal air wing as I have the FG1 as well.

• Like 2

Mine is 007 and I've just paid. The thing is, do you buy a second? I have the From the Cockpit book on the Gannet and there are at least 3 profiles in there for AEW3's but, of course, only one MA decal sheet - must make sure I've got a copy!!

Didn't Freight Dog do tanks for the Gannet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafrobbo said:

I fancy an 849sqdn with black and red bands, need to look at what can be used to make the underwing tanks as these also carried colour bands on the fronts.

The tanks themselves are the same 100 Gal type as used by the Hunter.

This makes for a nice 849 A Flight Gannet build, Flt Albatross marking on the tail and an underwing Paloutse starter with 893 Sqn markings on its nose

Gannet AEW3 at NAS Nowra

Andy Ford - Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

I have alley cat models tanks but they are for ASW/COD  Gannets.

If we all email CMK, maybe w. e can persuade them to scale up the 1/72 Palouste they make. Want one for either this Gannet or one of the Dynavector Scimitars or Airfix Buck/Vixens in the stash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The tanks themselves are the same 100 Gal type as used by the Hunter.

This makes for a nice 849 A Flight Gannet build, Flt Albatross marking on the tail and an underwing Paloutse starter with 893 Sqn markings on its nose

Gannet AEW3 at NAS Nowra

Andy Ford - Flickr

Thanks for the pic, Nice tail badge that I have never noticed before. Looks like a thin gold-ish? ‘A’ with a feathered Gannet in flight.

The baggage pod of the COD can be fitted to the AEW, I think one is fitted to the stb'd side in the above shot.

There was talk of a 48th Paloutse, @massimo might know?  A decent one would be great.

The A Flt badge was an Albatross, I believe over a red 'A'.  They also sometimes applied a winged A to the underwing tank sides

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Mine has also arrived. Unfortunately Alan has missed the engine front and prop spinners from mine, so do a parts check.

Alan has replied and is sending out the missing parts.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Updateed.

Having had a look at the bits I have to agree with John's original assessment that the surface detail is very good - well done Alan- and so I'm grateful that he brought the kit to our attention. If I could do one thing to improve it then I would replace the glazing with vac form. The external outline of the canopy is fine but the resin is just to thick and I'm a bit dubious about how successful thinning it from the inside might be. Anyone any good at moulding canopies?

Had a good look at mine last night and bar the odd air bubble, which is easy to fill it’s a very good casting.

As for canopy, how close is the AS.1 lid? I’m thinking if anyone with a spare Dynavector one that could be donated for use for windscreen and canopy, which would probably look fine if left open. Unless some kind soul can vacform one of ours for some ££. If anyone can do either i’m Interested!

I am looking at the profiles in the From The Cockpit volume on the Gannet (No 7) and, if they are accurate, I would say that AS.4 windscreen bow is closer to the vertical compared to the centreline. The AEW seems to be angled forward more. Apart from that, they are very similar. Now maybe someone can produce a known accurate profile drawing that clarifies the point? I think everyone who has one of Alan's kits could benefit from a vac form replacement, probably for the observers windows as well. I wouldn't mind comparing the parts with the CA AS.4 kit to see if its some sort of optical illusion?

5 hours ago, rafrobbo said:

As for canopy, how close is the AS.1 lid?

They were two completely different airframes, no way would a Gannet AS1-4 canopy fit a AEW3...…………...that's like trying to fit a Spitfire Mk9 canopy to a Spitfire Mk 24  :rage:

Mine has arrived too. Not looked at the canopy yet, but the decals will definitely have to go - the rest of the kit is brilliant though. Is anyone able to offer assistance on how I need to cut the wing for the fold? I’m a bit perplexed by different panel lines on the top and bottom of the wing.

Cheers,

WV908