Anybody else 'obsessed' with one particular aircraft ??

Mancunian airman

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief, how depressing! 

Enough with the guns and bombs and killing machines. 

Not one single vote for the Lockheed Constellation ⁉️

I suppose a DC3 is only cool if it's fitted out with a bunch of gatling guns? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Enough with the guns and bombs and killing machines. 

Not one single vote for the Lockheed Constellation ⁉️

I suppose a DC3 is only cool if it's fitted out with a bunch of gatling guns? 

No one will argue the Connie is among the most beautiful airplanes ever flown, especially, in my personal opinion, in its 1049 and 1649 variants. Airliners stir the emotions of a certain breed of airplane enthusiasts and, to a lesser degree, so do business jets. Warplanes stir the emotions of a lot more people and I suppose that's because they're received infinitely more media coverage than civilian types (personal opinion). Having said that, I suppose if you were to start a thread asking what airliner enthusiasts are obsessed with, you'd find the Connie way up on the list ... perhaps even in first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Not one single vote for the Lockheed Constellation

Hey Rob... The Connie and Super-Connie are my all time favorite Classic Airliner. The Boeing 377 and DC-7 and Convair 440 round them out. I prefer C-46’s to C-47’s but the Gooney-bird is a special plane in everyones heart. If for no other reason than length of service and adaptability. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hallo

The DH 89 is to my opinion a wonderful a/c. Just to fly in the blue. I had several occasions to see it and to fly it. A wonderful kit is now available. It is 1/32. The 1/48 kit from Isra.. was to me not to build, because of the kit design. Here on the opposite, this is a remarkable contribution.

DH 89 Dragon Rapide in 1/32 is now available.

DH 89 kit

This kits are just highly recommend. Since WNW is dead, so this company has also nice 1/32 old timers.

Happy modelling

• Like 3

On 6/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, rob Lyttle said:

I have always had a soft spot for the Boeing 707 and the Concorde - both lovely looking jets!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the easy answer is no.  I'm obsessed with a bunch of different aircraft!  But I suppose the Spitfire has to be the type that I've put the most (and the most serious) effort into.  I also unquestionably have more Spit models (kits) than any other type, and yet I've never actually built one yet.  I was even a relatively late bloomer when it came to really loving them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine’s the F-22 Raptor. I grew up watching Transformers (the Michael Bay explosion fest one). I thought Starscream’s jet mode was the coolest plane ever, I’d never seen anything like it. After seeing the film I was obsessed with the plane, I had to have it on my shelf. At the time I was building model cars only and the only kit available at the time was the italeri one. I now have 5 kits of the raptor and a squadron print of the 525th squadron from Alaska on my wall. Guess you could say I’m a Raptor nut. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a fascinating thread, both for the diversity of interest and the logic that led to it.  As for me almost every aeroplane has some attractive feature so choosing is not easy. For me it is some personal connection- Lightnings, (lived at Binbrook) Hs Dominie- flew from Stradishall,  Varsity from Oakington. Tiger Moths and Chipmunks.   Great War favourite DH2- did some research into some of the pilots that flew them Of WW2 , my favourites would be the the Hurricane,  and Lancaster.  Having built 6 of the new Airfix JP's I suppose I would have to include that as a particular interest.

• Like 1

I remember Phantoms, amongst many other types, as a kid.  The Colchester Military Tattoo used to take place each year and they used to have Wattisham Phantoms do a mock attack run over the show.  It was a bit like the Edinburgh Tattoo but with searchlights & more.  Then there were Phantoms from Lakenheath & Woodbridge.  And somehow the 1/48 Phantom just works.  Built a couple in 1/72 when I was younger

u4g1GO9.jpg

I have since built another FGR2 and I am about to start a German RF-4E, with an F-4G in the stash.  That will only be 7, and I haven’t got an F model yet

• Like 2

P-51D Mustang for me. Not sure exactly where it stems from, though I do remember them featuring quite prominently in an episode of the documentary series Reaching for the Skies in the 80s. Also, I used to go camping in Suffolk with my parents every year and around the time I was getting interested in old airfields, I realised that Leiston airfield wasn't that far away. This was the first old airfield I ever visited so my specific favourite Mustang would be a NMF one in 357th Fighter Group markings. Its also the only plane I've built more than one model of.

• Like 2