Anybody else 'obsessed' with one particular aircraft ??

Mancunian airman

9 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

It was offered to the world in 1996 alongside the 747-500 and the 747-700 at Farnborough. It is a serious stretch of the -400 measuring 279x250 feet

Yes, very interested in how you are doing it, a WIP is a must, you know you can do it 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Yes, very interested in how you are doing it, a WIP is a must, you know you can do it 

It is moving at a glacial pace while I work on the wings and try not to get carried away with starting another 747. I have a hankering for doing a 747ASB (advanced short body) of some kind.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, dbay133 said:

For me not so much an aircraft but the sound of a Merlin engine, single or multiple.

That is a fabulous sound! 

On 7/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, dbay133 said:

For me not so much an aircraft but the sound of a Merlin engine, single or multiple.

That is a fabulous sound! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 10:37 PM, Little Timmy said:

Never heard of that paticular plane .......

How much runway do you need to get it airbourn ?

Obviously, they fire this one out of a MASSIVE cannon ....

Bloomin' aviation amateurs.

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't have an airplane I'm obsessed with but I have three that are top-of-the-list favorites:  F-14 tomcat, F-105 Thunderchief and F-4 Phantom II. I've been something of a nut about the F-105 ever since the day I saw one take off at Kelly AFB many years ago. Compared to the the Air National Guard F-100s I watched, it was nearly overwhelming. It doesn't hurt that I had the pleasure, during my Air Force career, of working on some of the last active duty F-105s in the Air Force inventory, at George AFB, and they were Wild Weasels at that! Later I got to work on F-4G Wild Weasels while stationed in Germany at Spangdahlem AB. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2020 at 02:38, SAT69 said:

I don't have an airplane I'm obsessed with but I have three that are top-of-the-list favorites:  F-14 tomcat, F-105 Thunderchief and F-4 Phantom II. I've been something of a nut about the F-105 ever since the day I saw one take off at Kelly AFB many years ago. Compared to the the Air National Guard F-100s I watched, it was nearly overwhelming. It doesn't hurt that I had the pleasure, during my Air Force career, of working on some of the last active duty F-105s in the Air Force inventory, at George AFB, and they were Wild Weasels at that! Later I got to work on F-4G Wild Weasels while stationed in Germany at Spangdahlem AB. 

A great selection of aircraft there. I have been fortunate enough to see the F4 in the air, not so the F14 unfortunately - which I think now will be an opportunity lost forever, unless I'm somehow able to get to Iran to watch an airshow! (which is rather unlikely at the best of times!)

I used to be obsessed with the A-10...I blame Silent Thunder for that...

Prior to that it was the Lancaster as my Grandfather was aircrew during WW2

And the F-111, but that was because I wanted to fly them (failed the medical, my eyes aren't good enough)

At the moment I don't have anything I'm particularly obsessed with - I mainly build what I can use for wargaming, so have a few AH-1s (12), UH-1s (4), OH-6s(4), A-10s (7) and Stukas (4) sitting there in various stages of construction...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe its not as big and loud as the ones mentioned here, but the Piper Super Cub is definitely the plane for me.  The bigger tyres, the better!

My favourite is the EE Lightning. I was lucky enough to be allowed to sit in the cockpit of one at RAF Tengah in Singapore in 1970, and it has been a firm 'best' ever since. Our Scout Group had a weekend camp at the station, and a trip to see the aircraft was one of the activities.

I have a joint second favourite, The Avro Bison and the Blackburn Blackburn, because someone has to love 'em

Great subject for the thread by the way!

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

It's the F-14 and English Electric Lightning for me, I'm planning to build two from each unit that flew the types (high res scheme and low res scheme :thumbsup:) and of course all of the test and trials units. With the F-14s they are 1/144 where markings allow but I'm sure I'll have to scale up to 1/32 for a couple :coolio:

Hey folks

Being a bit sad and with some time on my hands, a total list of aircraft by number of mentions. This isn't exhaustive (I didn't understand some references) and also I have totalled each time the aircraft is named, as it has gone beyond 'that one aircraft'. I've also totalled aircraft by 'type' (rather than specific model number)

No of mentions:

1st - 11: EE Lightning, Spitfire

2nd - 9: Lancaster

3rd - 7: F14 Tomcat

5: Vulcan

4: Hurricane, P51 Mustang

3: F104 Starfighter, Hawker Hunter, Me262, Viscount

2: F4U Corsair, F111 Aarvark, FW190, F86 Sabre, Gloster Meteor, Mirage III, Tornado

1: Dornier 17Z, Dornier 335, F18 Hornet, F27, F100 Sabre, F105 Thunderch, Fiat G91, Hawker Sea Hawk, HE-111, HE-219, Hellcat, Herald, Il-2 Shturmovik, K13 Glider, Ki-61, Mosquito, Mig-29, Piper sup cub, P38, P40, P47, Saab Viggen, S Ilya Muromet, Stuka, SU-27 Flanker, SU-34, TBF Avenger, T6 Texan, Tiger Moth, TSR2, VC10, Zero

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, mdauben said:

I think the closest thing to an "obsession" I have would bee the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.  I have a general interest in early jet fighters, like the US Century series, but the F-104 is a particular favorite.  I think much of it is the "purity" of the design.  Its a plane made to go fast.  The whole design and appearance are based on the need for speed.  Plus, that they had accomplished so much in that regard with the relatively immature technology of the time.  Just an amazing airplane.  

spacer.png

I wholeheartedly  agree, hence my avatar. Ever since I saw a line up of German F-104G's on my first detachment to Sardinia I've been hooked ! My other " Obsessions " would be the F-100 Super Sabre, and Hawker Hurricane.:cheers:

• Like 2

For me it's the F-105 Thunderchief. First time I saw one take off, I was hooked. then had the pleasure of working on them in their later years at George AFB. Just an incredibly impressive airplane!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Mancunian airman said:

I know most of us have a favourite aircraft but what would be the reasoning behind that choice ??

Did you have a relative fly one ?,  worked as ground crew on one ? You likes it history ? etc

Well, my grandfather (on my mother's side) was said to be in the RFC (before it became RAF), and many years later, my mother's brother joined the RAF as part of the 2-years national services, and my mother tried to join too, but failed on medical grounds. So my mother is like a big fan of the RAF, and often take me to airshows, aircraft museums, or when an aircraft flies overhead, get me out of the house and point at it.

Feels like dragging me into the family footsteps, trying to rub it off on me, hoping I would end up liking the RAF. I wasn't really that much interested in the RAF (don't get me wrong, I respect the RAF), I'm more a fan of Royal Marines then later Royal Navy. I'm more into science fiction and space.

Anyway, my mother would always shows me photos of Spitfires, buy model kits of Spitfires, show me Spitfires on television. I get it, my mother like the Spitfire, but that does not give her the right to hope I would like the Spitfire too. (Again, don't get me wrong, I respect the Spitfire), but the more she shove Spitfire under my nose, Spitfire this, Spitfire that, the more I get sick of the name "Spitfire"

I read in history books that the Hawker Hurricane had done a lot more work than the Spitfire, shot down more bombers than the Spitfire. Also I read somewhere, that if you were to put a few holes in a Spitfire, it would take a week or two of metalwork to repair it before it can be returned to combat, but throw everything you can at a Hurricane, and it only takes a few days of repairs to patch up the Hurricane. I kind of got impressed with the Hurricane, plus I like the sounds of "Hawker" so it ended up as one of my likes.

Note: Yes, "one of my likes" because like I said, I'm not really into the RAF so I don't really have a real actual favourite aircraft. I just like some of them. (Others being Mosquito, Hawk, Harrier, Tomcat, and a few others.)

I would say my reasoning behind the choice is I don't want to end up having the same favourites as my mother have. She likes the RAF and Spitfires, I like the RN and Hurricanes.

As for other aircraft I like, mainly due to their looks, their history, their names, their roles, really various reasoning but each reasoning is different for each aircraft. Mosquito because it's mostly wood and fast (at that time), Hawk because of the Red Arrows, Harrier for VTOL, Tomcat because of its looks and later because of the movie The Final Countdown.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where to start? This is a tough question. I'll definitely say when I'm building a specific kit I have a mild obsession with the aircraft I'm building. However, The F-14 Tomcat would be my jet obsession while the Hawker Typhoon (mk1b) has always caught my eye. Something about that beefy nose and bubble canopy. The Hurricane and Spitfire are surely a close second...

• Like 1

Spitfire - simple.

I've always been fascinated by the sight and sound of the Spitfire, especially the menacing Mk XIV.

Having studied engineering, I've become even more interested in the design and aerodynamics of the Spitfire, which is rather forward-thinking for the era it was built.

• Like 1

My one is the F-14 Tomcat. Back in 1976 in Airfix Magazine it had an article about the visit of the USS JFK to Stokes Bay and there were pictures of the Tomcat from VF-14 in the bicentennial scheme and that was it. Luckily l saw them fly at NAS Miramar air show in the early nineties.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

I'm torn between three types: the A-7, CW-21 and Whirlwind (fixed-wing).

The A-7 has that nice beefy look and can carry pretty much anything (I like how they tried to make it look faster by sweeping the wings 😉).

A-7E_Corsair_II_of_VA-146_in_flight_on_1

While the CW-21 has a strange elegance (if not awkwardness)

425783_2812297220815_1060315192_32380086

48-2.jpg

The Whirlwind just grabs me for some reason (a dead-end design, but still elegant and purposeful-looking at the same time)!

Whirlwind_Mk_I,_263_Sqn_Exeter,_in_fligh

Westland_Whirlwind_263_Sqn_Exeter,_banki

• Like 2