Anybody else 'obsessed' with one particular aircraft ??

Mancunian airman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can't really single out any particular one, but there are a few that come to mind for various reasons.

1:  F-14 Tomcat - I think I can blame this one on watching Top Gun as a kid.  A 1/48 scale version was also my first ever model kit as a kid, which probably plays a part too.  Back in those days my parents banned me from using paints and the aircraft got flown around the house fighting the kits the came after it and became a bit beat up over the years.

2:  F/A-18 Hornet - First modern jet I remember seeing at an airshow sometime in the early 90's.  Growing up in Oz, generally it has been a diet of F/A-18 and F-111 displays.

3. F-111 Aardvark - Second jet I remember seeing (same day as first).  I used to love the dump and burn they'd do with it at the end of many airshows, the F1GP, and any other excuse they could find.  I recall they did it at night over Melbourne one year and some people started panicking because they thought we were under attack. (shortly before the end of the Cold War)

4: P-51 Mustang - Another of those in the category of seen "it a lot of times."

5:  Bf-109 - Stems back to playing the Il-2 flight sim.  The Bf-109 became my ride of choice as I shot up Bolsheviks.

6:  La-7 - See above, but change Bolsheviks for Nazis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Is the smoke the reason they call it a Coffman starter ?HAHAHAHA

It certainly must be! 🤣

I never realised that it was a requirement that all Australian military aircraft come equipped with a BBQ. Fascinating! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Is the smoke the reason they call it a Coffman starter ?HAHAHAHA

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

It certainly must be! 🤣

I never realised that it was a requirement that all Australian military aircraft come equipped with a BBQ. Fascinating! 

You funny guys, you make me rarf long time.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Despite my profile pic, if I had to pick one it would probably be the Sukhoi flanker, just because it cemented my interest (I'll say love actually!) of aircraft. 

It was my first trip to Fairford as a teenager in the 90s. At that point I hadn't seen much of the fast jet stuff (perhaps the odd Tornado or Harrier coming overhead) and I think most of the aircraft that had flown before at that point in the display had been fairly prosaic. Suddenly, an ear-splitting roar, and the Flanker came past - no gradual ascent or 45-degree angle followed by a roll as the aircraft lost speed, the pilot literally just pointed it straight up and kept going until the aircraft was a dot overhead. It was just such a raw expression of power there was no way a teenage kid wasn't going to be absolutely blown off their feet by it (and actually still find it impressive today! :) )

Back then I think, despite the fall of the Soviet Union (and possibly because of my age) there was still that mystique to the Russian stuff - as an 'other side' and more alien aspect to their aircraft and the pilots. I think that combined with just how damned cool the aircraft looked (and that tail slide!) meant it was an absolute favourite - I'm still looking forward to seeing the Flanker fly again at Fairford this year, it's still a tremendously impressive beast!

Edited by Filbert_Wang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anything British and post WW2 for me, especially those types that offer a multitude of versions and colour schemes. Meteor, Hunter, Lightning and Canberra never fail to captivate me with their bright squadron markings and silver or green/grey camouflage schemes. 

• Thanks 1

For me not so much an aircraft but the sound of a Merlin engine, single or multiple.  If the airframe is attached to a Merlin I love it.

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Il-2 Shturmovik. I am so obsessed I wrote a book about it. Just this past week I received most of the instrument panel from one. My clever plan is to rebuild one piece by piece. At this rate, I should be finished in about 300 years, which by a strange coincidence is about the same time it takes me to complete a plastic scale model.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are fairly normal but they are ones I end of buying. 

Spitfire. They're just so beautiful, iconic, and have a lot of different varients to consider. 

Bf109. The Spitfires nemesis and an iconic fighter of WW2 and battle of Britain which took place right over where I live. 

Particular bonus is the mass of different 109 paint schemes which means many different kits can be built which are different. 

My small stash consists of:

4 x Spitfire 

2 x 109

1 x JU88

1 x F15

1 x Phantom 

1 x HMS Warspite

1 x Zero

1 x Cromwell tank 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Mine are fairly normal but they are ones I end of buying. 

Spitfire. They're just so beautiful, iconic, and have a lot of different varients to consider. 

Bf109. The Spitfires nemesis and an iconic fighter of WW2 and battle of Britain which took place right over where I live. 

Particular bonus is the mass of different 109 paint schemes which means many different kits can be built which are different. 

My small stash consists of:

4 x Spitfire 

2 x 109

1 x JU88

1 x F15

1 x Phantom 

1 x HMS Warspite

1 x Zero

1 x Cromwell tank 

Spitfires and 109s, both beautiful aircraft.

The Messerspit hybrid was simply amazing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, Mancunian airman said:

I know most of us have a favourite aircraft but what would be the reasoning behind that choice ??

I think the closest thing to an "obsession" I have would bee the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.  I have a general interest in early jet fighters, like the US Century series, but the F-104 is a particular favorite.  I think much of it is the "purity" of the design.  Its a plane made to go fast.  The whole design and appearance are based on the need for speed.  Plus, that they had accomplished so much in that regard with the relatively immature technology of the time.  Just an amazing airplane.  

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Wow! What a thread! I have a soft spot for WW2 and Cold War aircraft, especially jets in wraparound camo but my real obsession is the Queen of the skies. I have a 747-400, a 747-600, a 747-400Y and 2 747-8i's in progress (yeah, I know I should do a WIP). I just love the 'Queen' and I am really fascinated by all the variants that never left the drawing board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1