Airfix 1/48 Tomahawk Mk.IIb

Here is my Tomahawk Mk.IIb from the Airfix kit. I used the kit decals and it was OOB apart from adding Master ring and bead sight and various aerials based on pictures. The kit provides no gunsight of any kind. My research indicated that some Tomahawks were equipped with reflector sights but some not.

I originally intended to use Xtradecal X48163 to model Neville Duke's aircraft (Quote: Tomahawk Mk.IIB - AK578 GA-V P/Off Neville Duke 112 Sqn Egypt 1942 with shark mouth; finished in Middle Stone and Dark Earth upper surfaces with Azure Blue below. Red spinner and yellow wing leading edge stripes.). Unfortunately after looking at pictures and finally my serials book - it transpires that AK578 was not a Tomahawk at all but a Kittyhawk! That is why on the decal instructions it says as a "modellers note" that this aircraft had Fishtail exhausts and no radio mast is shown on the diagram. There are pictures of this aircraft easily found on the web so I am not sure who did the research so badly! Anyway - the kit decals were great and the all important shark mouth settled beautifully using micro set/sol.

Colours were Gunze Dark Earth and Mid Stone on the topside and AK Azure Blue underneath. I got caught up in the great Humbrol Azure Blue mystery - there is a great thread about this on their site somewhere. The "Azure Blue" offered by AK is nowhere near correct but the Humbrol tin I had - new I might add, was even worse. I have since stocked up on the correct Humbrol shade which inexplicably has now been discontinued! Further research indicates that it is possible the undersides were Mediterranean Blue anyway so what the.....It is what its is now.

Despite some clunky bits like the undercarriage doors and the raised plating around the wing roots it is a really nice kit which I very much enjoyed.

NxhqV32.jpg

PRuqz8F.jpg

nEe77L5.jpg

PB8OUN2.jpg

• Like 43

Beautifully painted and the weathering is nice and subtle!  The colors look great.  I wouldn't worry too much about the Azure Blue vs. Mediterranean Blue debate.

I believe I read somewhere else about that issue with the Xtradecal mistake.  Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the kit decals went down so well, and nothing has the look of a Tomahawk with a shark mouth.  I have a couple of those Airfix kits in my stash but don't know when I'll get around to building them.

Cheers,

Mark

Lovely work, as has been said the painting & subtle weathering looks great. And it's got a shark's mouth. 

I've got one on the go & am having a right scrat getting the inserts for the nose machine guns to fit properly. Looking at the way yours has turned out it might just be me. :dunce:

I'll post it in Ready For Infection when it's done.

Pete

16 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Beautifully painted and the weathering is nice and subtle!  The colors look great.  I wouldn't worry too much about the Azure Blue vs. Mediterranean Blue debate.

I believe I read somewhere else about that issue with the Xtradecal mistake.  Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the kit decals went down so well, and nothing has the look of a Tomahawk with a shark mouth.  I have a couple of those Airfix kits in my stash but don't know when I'll get around to building them.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank You Mark. 

It may have been me moaning on Hyperscale that you saw - I was a bit miffed with Brett who reviewed the decal sheet but didn't do any research.

12 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work, as has been said the painting & subtle weathering looks great. And it's got a shark's mouth. 

I've got one on the go & am having a right scrat getting the inserts for the nose machine guns to fit properly. Looking at the way yours has turned out it might just be me. :dunce:

I'll post it in Ready For Infection when it's done.

Pete

Thank you Pete

I don't recall any particular problems with the nose machine gun inserts. I just drilled out the guns and in they went. I believe I used Gators Grip and just cleaned up with a damp cotton bud. This may have helped to fill any gaps.

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I like this a great deal. Also you have helped my with my colours on the Typhoon. What number is the Gunze Midstone. Is the Aquieous range?

Thank you Greg.

The Gunze Middle Stone in the aqueous range is H71. I did lighten it to varying degrees with with Tamiya XF-2

Thank you all for your kind comments

Cheers

Malcolm