Where to start?

Simon Cornes

The last time I did any figure painting was around 40 years ago, I used enamels and oils (for clothing) but mainly enamels. I'm a Wingnutter and the latest kits include figures and I also bought a Copper State RNAS pilot figure yesterday so I really need to recover my skills! So what is the best way to go about it now? First thing, maybe a number 1 kolinsky brush - I can do that! But paint? Do I stick with enamels or is there a better option? If so, given we're talking about WWI airman - on the ground, not freezing at 18,000 feet- can you suggest what paint I should start with, just to kick start the old fingers and hoping there might be some residual muscle memory - and a magnifier now!!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Simon

Then it probably a good idea to begin with a layer of light grey. 

Brushes, as small as possible. And paint. Up to yours preference. Vallejo is of course good, but otherwise those developed for fancy figures, and lot of shading.

5 minutes ago, NPL said:

Then it probably a good idea to begin with a layer of light grey. 

Brushes, as small as possible. And paint. Up to yours preference. Vallejo is of course good, but otherwise those developed for fancy figures, and lot of shading.

Can you suggest paint and shades please?

Thanks

I use enamels for clothes and oils for flesh and hair(human and animal). I prefer an undercoat of white enamel(leave for over 24 hours before painting with oils)

On brushes, in my opinion, a good point is more important than small size. I have been using A. S. Handover's Series 66 sable brushes(0/1/3) since the 1970's.

29 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Can you suggest paint and shades please?

Thanks

shades for figures is really a matter of darkening and lightening basic colors.

I have recommended HÄT's hoomepage before. Try it and look for the theme 'Everything Toy Soldiers' to find inspiration. Several levels are represented.

I am wondering if I should stick with enamel and start with a red/yellow/white mix for basic flesh and go from there or try acrylics? I always used to start with eyes and fill in from there but techniques seem to have moved on!

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I am wondering if I should stick with enamel and start with a red/yellow/white mix for basic flesh and go from there or try acrylics? I always used to start with eyes and fill in from there but techniques seem to have moved on!

Not really. Start with the white in the eyes, put in a black spot, and then start up building up the face from here. But di the eyes first. Otherwise they tend to dominate in a way that is unnatural.

While enamels and oils are certainly in use still, that is considered kind of 'old school' these days. You'll find a lot of painters these days working exclusively in acrylics, such as Vallejo, Andrea, or Scale75, for example. 

1 hour ago, Niall said:

The 2 things I do not like with acrylics are they dry too fast to wet shade and highlight and that some colours cannot be overpainted, for example if you paint red over blue you get purple.

not if the first colour is absolutely dry, and not with modern paint. But give a figure in dark plastic an overcote, whether black or grey or even white.