Airfix's Cessna O-1E Bird Dog 1/72

hsr

This is my rendition of the vintage Airfix Cessna O-1E Bird Dog. Despite this being an old kit it was a pleasant kit to build. While there were some issues they were mostly self inflicted. The only real issue was the transparencies which were very thick and not very clear. I ended up using 2 kits Pavla interior, control surfaces and wheels. I also used the AOA decal sheet, printed by Microscale. The decal sheet included markings for several US Army, US Air Force, US Marine, and Republic of Vietnam Air Force aircraft so something for every one. The reason for using 2 kits was my attempt to use the Pavla wing control surfaces proved to be a disaster, so I needed a new wing.  I did use the Pavla stabilizer. The color was a mix of Humbrol paints. Most pictures show 4 rockets only on the inner 2 pylons, but since I had 2 kits and I did find a picture with 8 I went with a full compliment.

Ja3v2plX_o.jpg

fWldkvc2_o.jpg

vAJXLe9C_o.jpg

BpdyWf6D_o.jpg

Roywbkbp_o.jpg

ydrxDIwf_o.jpg

Looking at these pictures I just realized I forgot to paint the tail wheel. I'll have to fix that,

Next up is Anigrand's Douglas XA2D-1 Skyshark

Enjoy.

• Like 29

That's a cute build :). I built one of these back in the early '70s and enjoying it. I've always been tempted to try another but the draw of my beloved jets has kept me from it.... One day, maybe.

Martin

• Thanks 1

Lovely job indeed! Just because a kit is old doesn't mean you can't make something decent out of it and you have achieved that. Well done!

I've got one in my stash and hope it comes out as well as yours when I get round to it!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

One day though I'll do one of those expensive Eduard kits.

Special Hobby is supposed to be coming out with one in the not too distant future

33 minutes ago, AMB said:

no doubt inspired by the new Warpaint Special book on the Bird Dog, which is very good. 

Not inspired, but definitely helped by it

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Really like your Bird dog. 👍 ...

Will be looking for your build if you do one. 

Dennis

I have both the Anigrand and Mach 2 kits. They are both a scale foot (2.5%) small. After looking at both the Anigrand one looks better so I will be going with the it. It will be f few weeks since I am going on vacation 😀

• Like 1