Building Victorian rail bridges (Windsor Station) - Ideas how to start

The Lampost

I'm no expert but I've done a few small bits in the past.

I'd say, do a practice build in cardboard before you cut any especially bought materials.

This will give you the size and area, plus is good experience in planning cuts etc to minimize wastage.

You may also find that you want to make changes as you progress, again, this may save time/money.

Good luck.

Pete

• Like 1

SE Finecast do some brickwork

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Building Materials/Building Materials.htm

(the last one on the list)

I don't know anything of this firm, but you could every brick right!

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Building Materials/Building Materials.htm

Personally I think life's too short but it would be VERY impressive

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

SE Finecast do some brickwork

I don't know anything of this firm, but you could every brick right!

Personally I've never found the SE Finecast brick sheets well defined, being very soft in detail. Additionally in 1/24th scale they only offer plain, by which I think they mean stretcher, bond which is relatively weak and certainly not suitable for structural work such as railway arches. The Victorian builders used English bond for their structural items. This web-page will help illustrate the difference https://brickarchitecture.com/about-brick/why-brick/brickwork-bonds.

You could try and convert the SE-Finecast product by cutting to individual brick rows, re-scribing alternate rows an then relaying. Somehow I don't think this will be successful.

By no means does it allow you to get every brick right.

This is why I have asked for advice. The idea is good one but reality is a different thing. looking at the picture you have bricks around the Arches. how does one reproduce that. They only way that I see is to do it laying down on a base and build up from there. The biggest problem is the brickwork. I have toyed doing this with 'Plastruct' strip and cut each brick from that. Lengthy but better flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Bar side

I have been on their site. they have what I have been looking for. Most are in Railway scales. but they give % upscale so that I can use them on 1/24. It looks a really workable exercise. I have downloaded what I need  the appropriate bricks and will give it a go.

Many thanks for you input

The Lampost

I have succeeded in constructing the bridge, placed photos under the bridge arches showing cars passing through. Fitted it to the display case, it fits the background well and with the car sited within the display case. it really looks good. A good first effort since my last venture into models in the 70's.

Many thanks to those who gave their time to respond to my questions.

*** The final question! How do I fix the car to the base of the display case? ***

Happy Christmas to all 'Britmodellers'

The Lampost