Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tato

Help with Flat Coat

Recommended Posts

Hello guys! :bye:

 

I need your help. I recently start using acrylic paints (mainly Tamiya and Gunze) but I'm having problems with flat coats. I'm using Tamiya's XF-86 with their acrylic thinner, but I just can't get a dead flat coat.

 

When I was using enamels, I used Model Masters Dullcoat Lacquer (with their enamel thinner) and it worked excellent, but I know that I can't use it over acrylics. Does anyone knows if they have a lacquer thinner and which one is it? I was looking in the internet but I'm a little confuse.

 

Also, what do you guys use for flat coats?

 

Thank you!

 

Best regards,

 

Tato  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winsor & Newton Galeria matt varnish, thin with deionized water and up the air pressure and don't spray it too wet, thin coats.

I have also used Tamiya X-20A to thin it with good results but others say not to use it.

Edit: Also used Ultimate acrylic thinner today with no problems at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Colin,

 

Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to give it a look and see if it works!

 

Regards,

 

Tato 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Tamiya XF-86 myself. Never went for a full flat coat ? I thin it with XF-20A & dust 2-3 coats on very lightly. I get a very good satin coat this way. I imagine if you do several light coats it will flatten out nicely. But don't spray it on heavy, if it pools you’ll get the little white flecks in your finish. 

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why you can't use Dullcoat in thin, thin coats. Model Master Flat Clear Lacquer--the bottled version of Dullcoat--was my goto flat coat over several paints, including Vallejo. There's a Model Master Lacquer Thinner for use with their flat, semi-gloss, and gloss clear lacquers..I used all of them. The key is to make sure the paint is fully dry (or cured if an enamel) and to mist on thin coats.

 

In any event, I now use Microscale Industries Micro Flat as it has the flattest coat I've seen. I don't thin it. I use thinned Mr Color Gloss Clear (C46) for clear coats when I need it. I always airbrush thin coats unless I'm putting on a final coat for a high gloss coat (always Mr Color now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Color GX101 is an excellent flat clear coat and can be used over acrylic and enamels. GX100 is the gloss version and it is excellent too.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2018 at 00:48, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I use Tamiya XF-86 myself. Never went for a full flat coat ? I thin it with XF-20A & dust 2-3 coats on very lightly. I get a very good satin coat this way. I imagine if you do several light coats it will flatten out nicely. But don't spray it on heavy, if it pools you’ll get the little white flecks in your finish. 

 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

 

Thank you very much for your help! In fact I gave the model one more coat and I got a very nice flat coat, not dead flat, but similar. I even like it more this way! But you are right, it seems that the norm here is more than just one coat.

 

On 04/12/2018 at 01:59, dnl42 said:

Not sure why you can't use Dullcoat in thin, thin coats. Model Master Flat Clear Lacquer--the bottled version of Dullcoat--was my goto flat coat over several paints, including Vallejo. There's a Model Master Lacquer Thinner for use with their flat, semi-gloss, and gloss clear lacquers..I used all of them. The key is to make sure the paint is fully dry (or cured if an enamel) and to mist on thin coats.

 

In any event, I now use Microscale Industries Micro Flat as it has the flattest coat I've seen. I don't thin it. I use thinned Mr Color Gloss Clear (C46) for clear coats when I need it. I always airbrush thin coats unless I'm putting on a final coat for a high gloss coat (always Mr Color now).

Hi dnl42,

 

Dullcoat was also my go to flat coat during my enamel times. Never failed and was a very nice dead flat coat. Never knew Model Master had a Lacquer Thinner for their flat coat as I was using their enamel thinner and it did wonders. I'm definitely going to buy some and try it.

 

Thank you!

 

On 04/12/2018 at 12:43, Duncan B said:

Mr Color GX101 is an excellent flat clear coat and can be used over acrylic and enamels. GX100 is the gloss version and it is excellent too.

 

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

 

Thank you for your help! What's the difference between the Mr Color you are using and the one mentioned above?

 

Tato  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GX101 seems like a tougher finish to me but that could be my imagination. I’m not sure why Gunze market so many different clear coats (C46, GX101, GX113 etc) buy I guess there must be a market for them. 

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the GX range don't have toluene in them, but can be thinned with their thinner and MLT

But don't ask me what they replaced it with though, just read up on the GX range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×