airfix 1/24 hawker typhoon

Lawzer

I have both versions of this kit, and have started the bubble top one. Two things come to mind. It’s my opinion that the firewall is too far forward. There’s no fix without destroying the geometry of the structure. But, it is possible to mitigate the problem, by cutting the kit mountings for the firewall away very carefully, and pushing the firewall back as far as possible. Pm me for a photo, I don’t have it on my tablet to post to the group.

also, no radio gear, which I am scratch building.

Don't misunderstand me, I love these 2 kits! They’re long term projects!

I took some photos, hope these help.

typhoon1

here you can see the back of the firewall, and one of my radio trays.

typhoon2

regards,

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
add photos, spelling
  • Like 6

Hello Ian,

If you don’t already have a copy of the “How to Build “ book on the Typhoon by Brett Green, I suggest you obtain one. The front cover, and photos on pg. 47,& 60 show the gap of which I speak.

hope this helps,

TW

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

I actually had a copy of the book but I was set on selling the kit and sold the book :(   ZERO forward planning.......

DOH :doh:

• Haha 1

Looking at the pictures I think I'll leave the firewall as is - my skills are going to be tested on this as it is! 😁

@Tony Whittingham I'm intrigued about the radio gear - do you have a picture of what should be there (and where)?

as for the framing i think i'll go with alumiumn throughout with the firewall and armour plate black.  Maybe....

and the cockpit walls black/cockpit green as @spitfire said.

• Like 1

Hello Ian,

with regards to the radio gear, I cheated a bit. There’s a lot of data on the Tempest installation on the web, and I used it as an example. There appears to be 2 radio trays, the top one runs transverse in the fuselage, and contains the TR 1133/4 and it’s power unit, below that is the shelf on which sits the IFF and Standard Beam Approach unit. You can see my attempt at the lower shelf attached to the rear cross tube in the 2nd picture I posted.

Look for hawkertempest.se

Another nice to have that Airfix missed on the car door version was the correct blades for the 3 blade installation. I’m carving 3 blades from 0.250” plastic strip to solve the problem.

Regards,

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Add website for tempest, 3 blade prop.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cloudman1961 said:

Maybe I’m joining a little late, but I’m going to watch and learn! I have the bubble top stashed away for 2019!

I had mines stashed away for my retirement 😆

I've decided to do the whole thing as airfix suggest (black firewall, certain struts) as i will go mad as it is building the thing....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I've decided to do the whole thing as airfix suggest (black firewall, certain struts) as i will go mad as it is building the thing....

Hi Ian

bear in mind the kit was done with a lot of input from @Chris Thomas  

The only colour call out comment was about the inside of the gun bays, 

here's a link to @Etiennedup Flickr of wartime colour shots

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=typhoon

these may be of use 

4530179317_ae619a249f_o.jpgTyphoon engine. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note difference in appearance of the exhausts. new replacements? 

6803622470_370c141c8e_o.jpgHawker Typhoon by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

I think these are all from the same set

later posed shot, but note colour inside cannon bay doors

8149893796_d49dc344d2_o.jpgHawker Typhoon Mk Ib.  1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more good one in the link, these the only ones with panels open though

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So, some progress....

44486853190_31e5a39dab_b.jpg

oil tank, engine and ip just placed to see how it looked.

about half the decals for the ip still to do.

a word of warning - don't glue the rear clear part of the ip with pva then put some microsol on....the blighter fell apart. I was lucky - only lost one dial decal....🙄

• Like 5

..the further in you get, the bigger the crowd you draw I think..watching closely now too. Fancied doing one of these for a while now too!..looking good ..good luck for the rest of the build  (not for any particular reason to do with the kit..just plain ol' good luck!)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is beginning to look the business - any chance of a closer look at the ip when it finished :goodjob:

Nearly done - need to paint the back.  It took me AGES to get the dials on - they kept floating off from where they were meant to be.....

45400681855_9cef13c487_b.jpg

and just for ghits and shiggles next to the panzer iv hull for tomorrow's gb start......

45400684175_633c342a08_b.jpg

Now onto the engine pipework......😳

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Nearly done - need to pait the back.  It take me AGES to get the dials on - they kept floating off wher they were meant to be.....

45400681855_9cef13c487_b.jpg

and just for ghits and shiggles next to the panzer iv hull for tomorroes gb.....

45400684175_633c342a08_b.jpg

Now onto the engine pipework......😳

Wow - that is a really cool IP - the job you have done is as good as a pre-made ready to fit one - outstanding work young man.

• Like 2

Can't really take too much credit on that front - i got lucky 😁

I didn't have my magnifying doofers on so i've only just seen the detail on those dial decals - and it looks like most of them are the right way up!

hats off to cartograph on that one! 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good (& big)

Indeed (the big part....).

I have no idea how I'm going to paint this or where it's going to go when finished.

Maybe I can repurpose the kitchen table.....😆

• Haha 2

What have you done, Lawzer? 

I have the bubble hood version sitting in the stash....waiting its turn. 

Earlier this year I finished the Revell 1/32 car door one.....it came out quite well. 

But I was "all Typhooned out", so started the Matchbox/Revell 1/32 Spitfire F22. 

That build has been a challenge, to say the least, so the next build HAS to be something that doesn't need me to spend money on after market parts and I can build straight out of the box. 

Should I do the "Big Tiffie?? 

Or am I just nuts??

• Like 1