airfix 1/24 hawker typhoon

Lawzer

I opened the above today with the intention of having a look through the kit and I don't know how it happened but I started it.....

DSC_5778

Now this is the TK Maxx deal (with bits for the car door swapped for the bubble top) and my intention had been that this would wait a LONG while till I was in a position that I felt (skill wise) I was ready to tackle it.  No going back now.....🙄

Anyway, this isn't really going to be a WIP but more a quest for guidance and help.....

So, got as far as I want to go at the moment (need to take a step back and THINK about this - better prime and paint the progress so far).

46131974251_8fe4941cfa_b.jpg

And the question (for the moment!) is I would DEARLY welcome any advice from those who have built this (deviation from the instruction steps,  when to paint, what to be careful of) before I ruin a perfectly good massive box of plastic that until today sat happily minding it's on business on top of a bookcase 😁

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 13

WOO-HOO - This should be amazing - I'm in - front and centre & I'll bet there will be a fair few others not far behind me :popcorn:

GO FOR IT IAN :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Gawn yersel Ian!😂

You know it makes sense to actually build the at beast. There's no point getting a nice big quality kit like this one for it to sit in the box for evermore. 

Sadly I don't have the room for one of these so will content myself watching yours progress.

Cheers Greg 🤓

• Like 2

I haven't built one, don't even own one, as common sense is still overruling the 'gotta have one' urge. From what I've read though, make sure that you clean off mould parting lines and any flash, test fit thrice, and be careful where you paint, as tolerences are close.

I'll pop on from time to time to see how things are progressing. More from vicarious pleasure than morbid curiosity. :)

• Like 2

Nice, I'll definitely keep an eye on this one :popcorn:.  I haven't built a Airfix 'superkit' since I was a nipper and I have the Hurricane waiting for the BoB 80th GB to roll around.

• Like 2

Funnily enough Ian, the recent 1/24th Hellcat got me thinking about these monster scales once again, so I brought down my ‘Rocket armed’ Tiff box the other week as well. I’ve been so tempted to make a start so watching your build might just push me over the edge and do it!! 

If I do, I’m gonna blame you for quite a long time and (SHMBO) might also throw the odd curse line in as well! 

Cheers and watching on.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

TK Maxx deal? Go on... how much?

50 of your british pounds.  Bought in november lastbyear i think it was......

• Like 2

I found some videos on youtube and some build logs so i'll have a gander at those before going any further.

a LONG way off but i think i need to decide if i'm doing cowls on/off and gun bays open/closed and indeed what markings (therefore dicating load out).

i have a 1/48 and 1/72 from 247 squadron and a 1/48 from 440 squadron (i8-p).  

one thing I won't be doing is the pilot so if anyone wants him let me know.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I found some videos on youtube and some build logs so i'll have a gander at those before going any further.

a LONG way off but i think i need to decide if i'm doing cowls on/off and gun bays open/closed and indeed what markings (therefore dicating load out).

i have a 1/48 and 1/72 from 247 squadron and a 1/48 from 440 squadron (i8-p).  

one thing I won't be doing is the pilot so if anyone wants him let me know.....

Show us a picture of the pilot if you get a chance Ian - the pilots in the old super kits were dreadful - so it would be nice to see if things have improved.

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

DSC_5778

Now this is the TK Maxx deal (with bits for the car door swapped for the bubble top) and my intention had been that this would wait a LONG while till I was in a position that I felt (skill wise) I was ready to tackle it.  No going back now.....🙄

So - let me get this right...  You got the CAR DOOR & then did a swap with another BMer so you can make the BUBBLE TOP right???

Did you also swap the decal sheets???  If so does that mean the options on the box art aren't the options you have available.  Should I be googling the BUBBLE TOP box art to see the options???

• Haha 1

Yup - don't like to make life easy ;)  

We swapped the decal sheets and what I though were the necessary parts (clears + 1 sprue) BUT disaster of disasters!

There are 2 sprues that only come in the bubble top box (L and O):

sprues

Sprue Z was the one we thought was unique to the car door....

I will have to see if I can remember who I swapped the parts with - if it's you PLEASE get in touch!!  I think you have all the parts you need for the car door (hopefully!!).

I thought it was all going too well 😭

Here's the pilot by the way:

DSC_5781

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

OMG - I don't believe it - I hope your swap buddy is looking in.  The pilot looks a little more 'defined' than in the old super kits.  You could always make a 1/24 deckchair and have him sunbathing by the side of the plane.

I hope you get this sorted quickly.

Good luck mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...another idea - did you post it in the 'for sale' or 'trade' sections at any point - that may offer some clues and jog your memory.  I know you got it from T K Maxx - did you discuss it in that thread perhaps...

• Like 1

Built this kit a while ago, my advice for what it's worth is follow the instructions to the letter, scrape the mould lines of each part as fit is critical and test fit at every stage. Most enjoyable kit I have ever built, have fun!

• Like 4

Huzzar!  The missing sprues have been located!

So onwards and upwards! :)

On 02/12/2018 at 16:55, Farmerboy said:

Built this kit a while ago, my advice for what it's worth is follow the instructions to the letter, scrape the mould lines of each part as fit is critical and test fit at every stage. Most enjoyable kit I have ever built, have fun!

True that!!!

The cockpit framing and other parts had me scratching my head (in fact I *almost* came a cropper on stage 1 because it took me 5 minutes to realize the view was from below and behind and not front and above 😲).  However once I started things weren't too bad.  I was quite surprised at how much mould lines there are - almost on every part but I guess since this is the "new" boxing the moulds have churned out a fair few kits before my one came off the production line.

I must say once the framing is complete (mines still missing a few parts) it's very solid for such flimsy plastic...

The basic engine has been put together and primed along with some other cockpit parts which I'll paint before attaching.

So, my first (of MANY I have no doubt!) question is....the cockpit framing.  Airfix would have you do the majority in aluminum with certain spars in black and the firewall black (both side).  I've looked at a load of builds on line and most seem to be either all ali or some cockpit green but not many the way airfix describe.  Now I NEVER thought I'd be this particular about this sort of thing but......

So any advice greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

On 02/12/2018 at 17:55, Farmerboy said:

This echoes my experience with the kit to the letter!

Also, not all piping underneath the engine can be seen (or even installed) so there's some simple way out...

And I would immediately get two important AM sets:

Airscales cockpit decals

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AS24TIFF

And some nice seatbelts

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED23025

Avoid at all costs white metal landing gear.

It will bend, and the plastic is stronger :)

• Like 3

Nice to see one of these built, I have two in the stash, on my last Typhoon build (MDC 1/32 Bubble top) I decided to go with a basically interior green/grey, black and silver cockpit, with black (Humbrol H85 Satin coal black) cockpit side walls above the tubular frame and interior grey green (Humbrol 78 Matt cockpit green) below the frame, the frame itself was silver (Humbrol 56 Aluminium). Anything above the elbows was black underneath was grey green.

Here's some more info

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/53722-hawker-typhoon-cockpit-photos/

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

Indeed Steve!!

I was getting worried ;)

I'll be building this OOB as I have no money for any after market what with christmas coming up.....

I've even used filler on this - a rare occurance for me - or at least using it neatly 😁

• Haha 1