RN F-35B Frenzy - FLY NAVY

Now that First of Class flying trials onboard HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH have completed with a flourish, fast jet flying has returned to the Fleet Air Arm with a vengeance!

wp28b4fdad_05_06.jpg

Time for another F-35B model, methinks.  And, I just couldn't resist another speculative RN Scheme, after all, what exactly do the RAF plan to do with theirs?  

This is the Fujimi kit, which is better than Hasegawa in some respects, but less accurate in others. I now have both and I'm not sure that I have any preference for either.   Decals (for 809 Sqn - which is the first RN F-35B Sqn) are a mix of kit and home made inkjet printed - I have toned them down slightly compared with my previous build as befits a more operational colour scheme.

wpfb69b49a_05_06.jpg

As my first one has its intake barn doors open and nozzle rotated, this one is relatively clean, although I opened up the weapons bays and added some AMRAAMs (as this option is missing on the Hasegawa kit).

wpd6847cda_05_06.jpg

wpc4b03015_05_06.jpg

wpe87fe636_05_06.jpg

... and then to finish the year, I have updated last year's F-35 build to include the badge of the Integrated Test Flight (another inkjet decal print) worn during FOC trials.  Mine is a little larger than reality, and worn on the inside tail surfaces, but it makes the point!

wp7a634c97_05_06.jpg

wpf9cbbfe7_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

wp1c55e40c_05_06.jpg

• Like 21

They both look superb.  The paint finish is exceptional.  Let's hope they will get to put some unit markings on the F-35s although the last I heard no markings are going to be applied which, I must say, is extremely unsporting of the MOD.

Beautiful models,.... but I doubt if the RAF will ever let the Navy apply Royal Navy titles onto `its' aeroplanes! They seem to have taken over the programme and let the navy have a token presence for PR reasons,...... after all they have wrestled the seaborne fast jet task out of naval hands over a long period, starting with the retirement of the SHAR FA.2 and then the later Harriers too. 

I do hope that I`m wrong,....... and as I said,.... your models are fantastic,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

John, the paper came from Amazon (Mr decal paper). I found it a lot thinner and stretchier than the sheets I have bought at model shows. It's white, so I left a grey background around the markings and trimmed as close as I could. The printer is a bog-standard Canon inkjet, using OEM print cartridges. I then overcoated with MicroSol decal coating. Not so sure about the last; the red ink bled slightly.

FredT

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, tonyot said:

Beautiful models,.... but I doubt if the RAF will ever let the Navy apply Royal Navy titles onto `its' aeroplanes! They seem to have taken over the programme and let the navy have a token presence for PR reasons,...... after all they have wrestled the seaborne fast jet task out of naval hands over a long period, starting with the retirement of the SHAR FA.2 and then the later Harriers too. 

I do hope that I`m wrong,....... and as I said,.... your models are fantastic,

Cheers

Tony 

I beg your pardon tony😁

22 minutes ago, junglierating said:

I beg your pardon tony😁

Oh I`m on your side of the argument,..big time....keep yer knickers on sailor!!!  Just send a Crab off to look for the golden Rivet,....I`m sure if he asks enough people he`ll find it lol!

• Haha 1

I did hear a rumour that one may be painted up in full RN colours next year to celebrate 80 yrs since the Inskip Award (24 May 1939) :)

• Like 1