MiG-29SMT 1/48 GWH

Out of the box with the exception of the seat. Nicely detailed kit, great cockpit although the coaming around the instrument panel needs thinning.

I used Akan's MiG-29SMT paint set but had to remix some colors as there are several schemes. There were 2 kinds of splinter camouflage, grayish and greenish versions. I went with the green version it took a lot of reference photos to get it right. 

5yGA95E.jpgeSonGaV.jpgHzNaERx.jpgdF2FSEg.jpg

6LVhBYq.jpgs1JYZUK.jpg3BKBa5f.jpgLGG0QR7.jpg?15qh1Uac.jpgzWL6hx5.jpgtYu9hwH.jpg

• Like 45

Great job on the MiG-29SMT and the one in the background. This jet looks good in pretty much every colour scheme I have seen, with the possible exception of the early North Korean examples. You have done the GWH kits great justice with these brilliant builds.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

You have done the GWH kits great justice

Thanks everyone!

I should mention that the MiG-29 Fulcrum C in the background is the Academy with the Neomega 9-14 conversion from years ago. The GWH and Academy sit well together as if they were by the same manufacturer whereas the new 1/48 Flankers joining my older Academy ones show some minor scale issues (length, intake, engine and canopy size differences). 

what seat did you use in the end? Aires?

and the missiles, all kit? the "fins" of the R-77 look really good!

last question, you say greenish version..... that is all very grey to me..... but there is a newer SMT batch (not the ex Algerian ones you have modelled I guess)  that is mor or less in standard MiG-29 grey green...

again,

fantastic model!

:partytime:

regarding the Academy one, I think the narrow intake makes quite a difference.... but else... ok ;)

Edited by exdraken

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

last question, you say greenish version..... that is all very grey to me

Here's some photos that helped me figure it out the different colors, clearly these darker gray versions were repaints over the greenish version.

The seat was a Neomega and the R-77s are kit supplied, not quite as good as the early Sol 'fins' but look pretty good.

h754YQR.jpgKrpEgsY.jpgciv2Ruo.jpg

I've heard that this kit is one of the best out there, but even if that is true you've displayed some stunning skills there to lift it even higher. I really don't know how you guys do it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Koralik64 said:

In fact, they were repainted and this caused confusion with the colors.
I also fought with colors and made versions with a green shade.

Nice! I like the worn and weathered look you  went for. I considered it but decided to keep it in that early mint look for now. After a spell I sometimes change the armament and weather a model I've left in a factory fresh look.

• 5 weeks later...