1/48 Tamiya P-51B as 43-12485 (354FG, 353FS) lost Feb 3rd 1944 (built for my dad)

35 minutes ago, H Grape Minkoff said:

That letter and photo are the only items I have connected with Richard Klein.

My mother-in-law died before we had a chance to ask her anything about him.

Such a all too common shame... Are you aware of any other relatives of your mother-in-law that might hold some information? 

37 minutes ago, H Grape Minkoff said:

I am wondering why you are researching him.

If you are okay with it, you can drop you email, because the story is kinda elaborate... :) That way I can supply you with the info I have. Please let me know.

Yannic

LANG-KLEIN Wedding

Gloria Beth Lang , daughter of Mr . and Mrs . Benson B . Lang , was married to Richard Harding Klein of New York ,

son of Mr . and Mrs . Harry D . Klein , in the Hotel Sutton , New York on May 14 1948 .

Mr . Klein was an A . A . F . Major during the war .

Following a honeymoon in Canada , the newly-weds will make their home in New York .

19 minutes ago, yannic2003 said:

If you are okay with it, you can drop you email, because the story is kinda elaborate... :) That way I can supply you with the info I have. Please let me know.

Yannic

You can find me on facebook as h Grape Minkoff. 

My wife is checking ancestry.com now and finding some of his relatives. He had a brother and sister. Your middle name information opened up a huge window into his post-war life

Edited by H Grape Minkoff

I got your email, I will message you shortly.

14 minutes ago, H Grape Minkoff said:

Gloria Beth Lang , daughter of Mr . and Mrs . Benson B . Lang , was married to Richard Harding Klein of New York ,

son of Mr . and Mrs . Harry D . Klein , in the Hotel Sutton , New York on May 14 1948 .

Mr . Klein was an A . A . F . Major during the war .

Following a honeymoon in Canada , the newly-weds will make their home in New York .

So Gloria Beth Lang is your mother-in-law if I am not mistaken?

On 5/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, yannic2003 said:

Hello, i found this thread while searching for more information regarding the crash of Richard Harding Klein,  in his P-51B 43-12485 (354FG, 353FS) lost Feb 3rd 1944. I was wondering if you could give me a location were you think Richard Klein crashed, and some proof preferably :)

The problem is that German reports state that on Feb 3rd 1944 a P-51 crashed near Rühlertwist, Germany, since the P-51B Klein flew is the only P-51 lost that day I am trying to figure out which location is the right one, and if possibly there is a second (undocumented) crash involved. 

@H Grape Minkoff an amazing portret you have there! Do you in any chance have more information (letters send by Klein etcetera) which might hold a clue?

Greetings from Drenthe,  The Netherlands!

Yannic

The incident of the loss of Klein's P-51 was described in Van der Veer's Luchtoorlog boven Zuid West Friesland; locals I talked to in the late 1990s still vividly remembered an American aircraft going down (it shot its guns as warning shots for some reason and the children at the local school hid under their tables); Klein was found in the IJsselmeer near Stavoren having successfully abandoned the aircraft and taken prisoner there; the location of a P-51 wreck is known by local fishermen and we have a couple of pieces from a P-51B wreck that have washed ashore near the supposed crash site; there are also these online records:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/50952

https://verliesregister.studiegroepluchtoorlog.nl/rs.php?aircraft=&sglo=T3377&date=&location=&pn=&unit=&name=&cemetry=&airforce=&target=&area=&airfield=

In short, it's 99% certain Klein's P-51 43-12485 crashed in the IJsselmeer just to the south west of Stavoren. Can't help you with anything happening near Rühlertwist on that same day I'm afraid.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, elger said:

The incident of the loss of Klein's P-51 was described in Van der Veer's Luchtoorlog boven Zuid West Friesland

Kunt u mij toevallig voorzien van deze passage?

and we have a couple of pieces from a P-51B wreck that have washed ashore near the supposed crash site

Are these pieces still here, and if so, are there any pictures of them?

In short, it's 99% certain Klein's P-51 43-12485 crashed in the IJsselmeer just to the south west of Stavoren.

I agree with you that it is more likely to have been Stavoren, but I still wanna investigate this a bit :)

Alvast bedankt!

Yannic