Anyone built a 1/72 Ventura Spitfire?

Bedders

Justin, there's one more route you may like to try.  See if you can locate the second tooling MPM did of the PR19 - it was boxed as part of the BBMF Millenium set and many found their way onto the market as bagged kits for a relative pittance .  They seem to be a remastered Fujimi fuselage with the wing sprue from their PR.XI.  I've built a fair few and quite enjoyed them, although the vacform canopies will need replacing in the kit with a Falcon one as they tend to have yellowed badly.

The cockpit is a bit sparse compared to a Sword 14 but the wings from the MPM kit may well fit the Sword fuselage, so you could get an early unpressurised XIX from the cross kit.  Helps to keep the costs down if you use the spare highback fuselage in with the lowback.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, Bedders said:

The problems with the Airfix XIX kit are many: fuselage too short, wing chord too broad, propeller blades too small, radiators too round and without the sculpted troughs in the wings, undercarriage slightly off, lower aileron chord to narrow, canopy short in length and rather thick.

I don't think the fuselage is short, it scales out about the right length and is similar to other Griffon Spits - but the wing is a couple of mm too far forward which reduces apparent the nose length.

The Ventura one is a bit rough, I built a couple years ago (and have a few more in the stash) - will see if I have one to hand!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

The cockpit is a bit sparse ...

I used some spare bits from an Eduard IX kit to tart up the interior, and while at it used the later landing gear and horizontal stabs as it improves the exterior as well. 

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

I used some spare bits from an Eduard IX kit to tart up the interior, and while at it used the later landing gear and horizontal stabs as it improves the exterior as well. 

The Eduard kits (except mk VIII) are also a good source of tailwheels and tailwheel doors

• Like 2

As others have said, basic, hard plastic, surface detail is good (but may need to be smoothed over prior to paint), mesh and vac canopies and to my mind, accurate!

With mine, I choice the easy route and where possible used Aeroclub props and landing gear but this option is longer open so a good spares box or modify Eduard PE to suit or an ability to scratchbuild!

I must have built all the Ventura Spitfires with the Seafire 47 being a particular favourite and as lasermonkey wrote 'there's a place for models that require a bit more effort' and would recommend them to all but a very new beginner, a good way to cut one's teeth!

• Like 1