Anyone built a 1/72 Ventura Spitfire?

Bedders

Hi folks, I'm thinking of doing another 1/72 Spitfire XIX but would like to try another route without using the Airfix kit. Ventura/Jays do one, but it's a limited-run kit that apparently requires "modelling skills" (uh-oh...). Has anyone built a Ventura/Jays Spitfire, and is willing to describe the experience?

Justin

They're reboxed  HiPlanes , if that conveys anything to you. The outline has always been regarded as accurate. From my own perspective, I would want an Aires (or similar) interior and replacement exhausts. Any Hiplanes kit of that era requires a Dremel tool (if you've got one) or loads of sand paper (and patience) Actually an Airfix kit is much easier.

• Like 1

I've never used any sanding tools, just the edge of a modelling knife and some wet and dry to finish off.  This is just on the inside of the wings, though yes it does take time.  Otherwise they are straightforward if lacking in frills such as detailed interiors.  They do however include mesh for that radiators.  Outline accuracy is good although the Merlin options have the slightly short nose common to all Mk IX kits prior to Airfix and the Monforton book.  The appropriate versions do have the wider cannon bulges.

Overall perhaps the kits of choice before the very latest issues, but I must admit that all mine have been original Ventura boxings.  I don't think that they ever appeared as High Planes boxings but could be, there' s certainly at least a family resemblance.

• Like 3

Thanks folks, intersting to hear the link to High Planes. I've got one of their Mustangs in the stash but it always seems to be at the bottom of the pile for some reason...

The problems with the Airfix XIX kit are many: fuselage too short, wing chord too broad, propeller blades too small, radiators too round and without the sculpted troughs in the wings, undercarriage slightly off, lower aileron chord to narrow, canopy short in length and rather thick. Despite that it still looks OK when done. I built one on return to the hobby https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995594-what-brought-me-back-spitfire-xix/ but would now like to do at least a couple more XIXs. So I'm thinking either Ventura or converting the Sword XIV https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046686-spitfire-xiv-172/.

Justin

I built their Mk 22 a while ago. I used a Dremel type tool to grind away some of the thick plastic around the cockpit and wheel wells, basically to save time.

It's a basic kit and there's some fettling and filling to be done. That said, they look very good when built, as long as you have your basic modelling skills. Personally, I enjoyed building it. I think there's a place for models that require a bit more effort, as you tend to learn more and ultimately, i find there's more of a sense of accomplishment.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Bedders said:

Thanks folks, interesting to hear the link to High Planes.

Ventura - NZ company started as producer of decals, books, models. Model side passed to Jays in NZ.

High Planes - Australian company started as producer of limited run models. Passed to HPM in Singapore.

So no real connection apart from that they are both producers of limited run kits.

• Like 5

Thanks Ed, you beat me to it  re the Ventura /HPM connection. The secret with Ventura is in the prep, time taken to remove mold runs & sprue connections which are big is essential but do that carefully & they make up well. Cockpits need detailing & Griffon models are best if their engine cowls are glued to fuselage halves before the latter are joined. Their surface detail is quite good with fine recessed panel lines & with some care, they can produce really nice finished products.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 6

I agree with Steve, here. The kits are a bit rough, but they are accurate. I've built several of their Spitfire/Seafire kits and I was pleased how they all turned out. Nice surface detail, clear vacuform canopies, and good decals - just take your time with them.

Regards,

Jason 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

Very hard plastic, as I recall.  Parts may meed to be sawn from sprues.

Seconded, I built an XI and was very pleased with the result but it did need careful preparation.

• Like 2

The devil lies in the detail, it's said. This is where these kits lack, IMHO.

As others says, very accurate outline, but crude interior and lack of general detail, if you compare with e.g. Sword kits. I shudder to think of the comparison if Eduard entered the field here.

BUT, 6 foot away, who can tell, so get on with it 🙂

Happy modelling

Finn

• Like 2

I have a few in the stash, have built one and started another. You have probably a good picture of what expects you by now: they require careful preparation, a rotary tool may not be needed but sure makes things easier. Plastic is hard and brittle, sawing the parts from the sprues is the best way to avoid breakages. Recessed surface detail is very fine, the plastic surface however is rough and benefits from sanding. Vacform canopies from Falcon are fantastic, easy to cut, robust and very clear. The mesh for the radiators is a nice touch... but honestly was good when these kits were issued, today there's much better.

Once the parts are properly prepared, fit is actually much better than can be expected from simply peeking into the box but detail is almost absent. Now this makes these kits suitable for those who have plenty of Spitfire spares or are happy to add resin or scratchbuild: wheel wells have no walls and no details, cockpit just has a seat and instrument panel/bulkhead (IIRC a copy of a Heller part). The lack of details put these kits at a disadvantage compared to many others but really I don't think that the Airfix PR.XIX offers much better !

In the end, compared to the Airfix XIX the Ventura/Jay's kit has some advantages. Personally though I'd probably look for a Fujimi kit, these don't fit all that well either but the Japanese plastic is easier to work with than anything from Ventura.

• Like 1

But, apart from a nice instrument panel, the Fujimi kit has little more in the cockpit area than the Ventura or Airfix kit and some of what is provided is inaccurate/fictitious).  And ISTR the canopy is thick, unlike the Falcon one with the Ventura kit. The Fujimi kit probably has the most finesse of the three but all three will benefit considerably from being tarted up with spares (eg cockpit rear bulkhead, undercarriage) or cloned parts from Eduard Spitfires. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Seahawk said:

But, apart from a nice instrument panel, the Fujimi kit has little more in the cockpit area than the Ventura or Airfix kit and some of what is provided is inaccurate/fictitious).  And ISTR the canopy is thick, unlike the Falcon one with the Ventura kit. The Fujimi kit probably has the most finesse of the three but all three will benefit considerably from being tarted up with spares (eg cockpit rear bulkhead, undercarriage) or cloned parts from Eduard Spitfires. 

I did actually realise this a few minutes after I posted my previous comment, yes the Fujimi kits have pretty bare cockpits. At least the wheel wells are closed though.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 9:36 AM, Bedders said:

Hi folks, I'm thinking of doing another 1/72 Spitfire XIX but would like to try another route without using the Airfix kit. Ventura/Jays do one, but it's a limited-run kit that apparently requires "modelling skills" (uh-oh...). Has anyone built a Ventura/Jays Spitfire, and is willing to describe the experience?

Justin

"Anyone built a 1/72 Ventura Spitfire?"

Wrong title. It should have been: "Anyone finished a 1/72 Ventura Spitfire?"

I have several unbuilt ones. I skipped 1/72 and moved on to quarterscale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Several! XIV, HF VII, , XVIII (18), PR XI, 22/24 Seafire XV times two each with the different hooks, Seafire 17 and 47. Had so many that I sold some but still have an RAAF VIII and another PR XI and XIV.

Have to say, I quite like them despite lack of interior but that not an issue for me Less is more sometimes....

• Like 4

Thanks Justin, after the clean up, these go together OK. I used some cannons from a Sword kit, the Jays ones were the wrong type. As @Ed Russell's build thread he links to above shows, they can produce a good result without any too huge in the way of effort. I'm keen to do another Mk XII in 41 sqn colours & given the scarcity of a kit in this Mk, I can see another Jays kit coming my way.

Steve.

• Like 2