Walter Nowotny’s A4 photos

Kov1985

Hello everyone,

My next project entails a FW 190 A-4, and I want to do Walter Nowotny’s ”white 10” of spring 1943 - the white/green patchy scheme they all had at that time on the eastern front. Every artist’s rendition seems to feature the same patches and pattern so it leaves me to believe that there’s a decent side on image of the machine at least.

I can’t find it. Does anyone have any decent pics of the actual machine? I’ve got one partial shot where he’s walking beside it with a cigar in his mouth, are there any others out there?

thanks for your time everyone, and happy modelling.

C

Good chance of it.

No harm in throwing a line out there regardless, someone might have a pic. My point is he was famous pilot and it was quite a relatively famous plane. There’s gotta be more than that one pic out there of it.

1 hour ago, Kov1985 said:

Good chance of it.

No harm in throwing a line out there regardless, someone might have a pic. My point is he was famous pilot and it was quite a relatively famous plane. There’s gotta be more than that one pic out there of it.

Maybe, maybe not.

there are  a fair amount of  JG54 Fw190 in winter camo here

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG54.html

two of Nowotny, 

this is the one you refer too?

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A5-1.JG54-(W10+)-Walter

they may have extrapolated the markings from the others?

@FalkeEins  and  @tank152 would a good chaps to ask, this will notify them.

Yes, that’s the image I have. I’m just being pedantic here as always, but that’s part of the fun of it.

It seems that the plane had its overall white wash applied over the factory 74/75/76 scheme for the winter, and then they’ve gone an sprayed some patches of RLM71? over that scheme for the Spring, hence the bits of overspray on the yellow band.

47 minutes ago, Kov1985 said:

It seems that the plane had its overall white wash applied over the factory 74/75/76 scheme for the winter, and then they’ve gone an sprayed some patches of RLM71? over that scheme for the Spring, hence the bits of overspray on the yellow band.

I'd suggest the other way around, the factory finish has been modified

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A6-JG54-information-Imm

and then the winter camo applied over thatFocke-Wulf-Fw-190A4-1.JG54-(W4+)-Krasnog

HTH

That’s what Eduard suggest in their kit, but I have to disagree. Look at the white around the “10” and the green heart. It looks like it was there first, and he’s just took a spray gun of dark green and filled in around it as quickly and crudely as possible. Didn’t even bother to tape off the yellow band around the cross hence the overspray. Just what it looks like to me.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, Kov1985 said:

Every artist’s rendition seems to feature the same patches and pattern so it leaves me to believe that there’s a decent side on image of the machine at least.

only one I can immediately think of appears in the Luftwaffe Gallery JG 54 'special' album - pilot climbing into the cockpit, view from the Balkenkreuz forward  - much 'wider' shot. Still nothing aft of the fuselage cross.. These were first reproduced in Werner Held's German-language picture book biography of Nowotny AFAIK - not a book I've held onto  - the Luftwaffe Gallery series on the other hand is and this title is still available here

Nowotny.jpg

lg1.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, Kov1985 said:

Every artist’s rendition seems to feature the same patches and pattern so it leaves me to believe that there’s a decent side on image of the machine at least.

Given the ability of people viewing photos to make differing interpretations, then such unanimity suggests to me that the artists are just copying each other.