RNZAF Lockheed P3B Orion

Hi All,

So December 1st is here in New Zealand (approx 1137 hours at time of starting this thread).

My build is of an RNZAF P3B Orion pre Kestral and FLIR days

This kit has been in my collection for eons, I made a start years ago but

never got around to completing it - mostly because of the dearth of proper

accessible markings

As you can see the box is old and a bit battered

eb4817c4-9472-4354-a6c6-384e28a48bef.jpg

Parts started long ago

d43029df-6c43-4be9-b1dc-4523e3bb5915.jpg

My love for the P3 Orion as in the Short Sunderland was passed onto me by my Dad who served with

both in  RNZAF 5 Squadron - my favorite photo of two gorgeous birds. This shows the P3B circa 1966/67

wearing "Silver Fern" Roundels

fbb6eb35-b4ae-4127-a728-e6aa56999bc4.jpg

In my book collection (a must for all 5 Squadron fans) is this book

de2eaf47-5a4a-482a-ab33-e318e79b7ee9.jpg

The beauty about this book is that in one of the Group photos is my Dad at

NAS Moffet Field circa 1966. The arrow shows him at the rear of group

ccc66fea-6d6e-475d-a95a-ad2abb728738.jpg

My Dad is now gone, as are the Sunderland's, but the P3 we both love still soldier on

170e71bf-b415-4b66-ad1c-fbb53e9341ba.png

39696b62-c985-416e-b18b-bfb228b35b6e.jpg

My Build will be in the Hi Vis markings wearing the Kiwi Roundel and 5 Sqn Albatross on the tail

Something similar to this photo link

RNZAF P3B

Roundels of Choice (thus far)

7a41e407-7f55-4d6d-89a5-7a0357a7713f.jpg

795ba174-c44c-4eef-815e-ca9d9f78f23c.jpg

Problem is that the set does not include the other "Required" markings, so I will likely go with "Old Models"

decals as they have what I need

Old Modesl Decals

Lastly, a cool video of an RNZAF P3 taking a shower - I've actually see this happen in

real life - it's so cool to watch

RNZAF P3 Shower

Thanks for stopping by - more later :bye:

Regards

Alan

• Like 14

I'll be keeping an eye on this build Alan. I've long looked out for one of these kits but have decided more recently 1/144 makes more sense in my case, though given the availability of kits in that scale, I may yet have to revisit that. :unsure: Your choice of scheme is the pick of them to my mind.  :)

Steve

• Thanks 1

I have this kit and the Old models decals for it. So I'm interested in seeing how it goes together. By the was my dad was in the RNZAF at the same time as your dad. He was a photographer. He was in it for twenty odd years.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, zebra said:

Sunderlands to Orions must have been quite a leap forward for 5 Squadron!

Yes, it would have been a leap forward - no more having to toss Sonobuoys out the Beam hatch to lay a pattern:)

I do have to state for bragging rights though, the RNZAF won the Fincastle Trophy with the Sunderland 1964 :thumbsup:

On 12/7/2018 at 9:45 PM, Greg Law said:

I have this kit and the Old models decals for it. So I'm interested in seeing how it goes together. By the was my dad was in the RNZAF at the same time as your dad. He was a photographer. He was in it for twenty odd years.

My dad was a 'Boy Entrant" - served 20+ years too - Electrical systems/Avionics - Spent two years also at RAAF Base

Edinburgh South Australia on RAAF P3C's

10 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

If you're needing RNZAF decals I can help. I've got a sheet with roundels, though I think they're the ferns. I can check  tonight.

Thanks for the offer, I have the Roundels (both Fern/Kiwi) the other "required" decals are the

5 Squadron Albatross on the Tail and Buzz numbers at front of aircraft, which Oldmodels have

on their sheet

Thanks/regards

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK up an update on my build

The model in big and quite a number of parts but nothing too  taxing on

my modelling skills (I think)

77ff8166-0b4d-4c2b-b390-b7b7aa96d5a6.jpg

The kit Decals -

494c6338-768f-43d3-b87b-f7d63afa1295.jpg

Three Options to build a P3C

RAAF based at Edinburgh, South Australia

VP 5 Mad Foxes

VP 50 Blue Dragons

After my Dad returned from the US (along with P3's) he received bulletins from

Lockheed/US Navy full of technical information (Where I learned that the P3B had

5 miles of wiring). I read through these with great gusto, but the real treat was the

back page that had all the Patron Squadron Emblems like the Mad Foxes, Blue Dragons etc

I have another P3C kit that I Plan to build as VP 40, as I believe that was the Patrol

Squadron at NAS Moffat Field when Dad trained there.

I would like to get another P3C to build a RAAF bird (as in above decals) to represent

an Edinburgh aircraft he worked on there.

So the kit,  to convert to P3B (got this info straight from my Dad (all those years ago)

Filled in the small windows on Starboard side fuselage

bffb2a58-bf26-42cc-ab58-486d22d84ab4.jpg

ce2caac5-c88c-4d10-a472-d454879dd2ad.jpg

259ff16d-3622-4e36-92b3-65a5568330bd.jpg

The P3C has/had a series of Sonobuoy chutes aft on the underside of aircraft, these have to

be filled in, leaving only one for a P3B

The arrow points to the chute for P3B

04f05ea3-03a2-4234-9259-c2b5847af1bb.jpg

The underside of the radome has to be filled in as well (this is pre FLIR)

85948e6a-ed88-4439-a276-4c98f762d55b.jpg

Cockpit

Hasegawa molded the rear of the cockpit as a solid piece, but there is an entry way with a curtain

I had cut away the solid piece (arrow), but need to remove a bit more and add a curtain - note

the Dark Gull Grey colour flooring/rear wall/consoles etc

50535921-53a8-4446-b260-6729c455665d.jpg

The cockpit upper was a light grey ( I think Light Gull Grey)

5234fe27-ef5e-4b33-af8e-ba7d41a3cb43.jpg

You can get a gist of this, from this RNZAF Photo (note entry way into Cockpit)

Interior of RNZAF P3K Orion

P3K Orion Interior

The seats - dad told me the seats were an orange colour - looking at my efforts, not so orange

I think I may just dry brush to give an orange tinge

0d71bfba-8782-45d8-9048-e74f933a56a8.jpg

Now the real thing

c73462dd-a028-4f15-9522-820e434970ed.jpg

Thanks for looking in, more soon

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

My dad was a 'Boy Entrant" - served 20+ years too - Electrical systems/Avionics - Spent two years also at RAAF Base

Edinburgh South Australia on RAAF P3C's

My father joined in 1946 so did my mother two aunts and my Uncle who was in it during the war in the Pacific then joined the RAF until the Seventies. My sister was in the RAF so you can say I come from an Air force family. 

I was in the 'Boy Entrant' down at Woodbourne For a short while, but it didn't suit me and I was sort of forced into it anyway, so got out when a job came up I always wanted to do and never looked back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Just for info, the kit RAAF decals supplied in the kit are for an 11 SQN RAAF P-3B. The Cs had serials in the 600 range. 

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info about the kit decals, good to know - I definitely want to do an RAAF P3C :)

Regards

Alan

Alan,

You mentioned you have sourced your decals for this build but I was going through my P-3 decals a realised I have 2 sets of the P-3B decals on this sheet.

traillss72416b.jpg

Are you interested in them?

Also, the original issue of the Hasegawa P-3 kit had the overwing exit on the RHS too low, the grey-white demarcation runs just under it.

93c72889bc9772c31e6a447b74ba1c0a.jpg

If you leave it where it is on the kit it will run through the window. You need to push it up about 2mm as I recall.

259ff16d-3622-4e36-92b3-65a5568330bd.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

You mentioned you have sourced your decals for this build but I was going through my P-3 decals a realised I have 2 sets of the P-3B decals on this sheet.

Are you interested in them?

Hi Ray

PM sent re decals :bye:

Yes, the hatch window is too low ( I just hadn't got there yet :D) - I have been through the actual

hatch egressing the aircraft, and the way Hasegawa have it, the hatch lower actually would disappear into the upper

wing. I haven't quite sorted it out in my head how to carry out the required

surgery:hmmm: Many thanks for the 2mm advice though

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 1

I`m really enjoying your build Alan and as I have a Kiwi P-3 in mind some day I`ll be referring to your excellent thread,...... keep up the great work!

Cheers

Tony

As I recall Alan the raised detail for the hatch outline is correct, they just put the cut out too low. I had to do it on my RAAF P-3B build and just eyeballed where the top of the window should be. I cut out a small section at the top the window opening and then add some card strip at the bottom to centre the window in the middle of the hatch outline.

This shot shows the after of moving the window up

44439649350_d688349e94_b.jpg

and relative to the grey/white demarcation line

45343889115_b2844cd857_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi, All

My sincere apologies for this build not happening.

I had high hopes and expectations that this build would have materialized, but alas

not to be.

Family Medical health problems etc took it's toll on family and ultimately on bench time.

Hopefully another GB will be a fit for this model, if not, I'll build it anyway.

Thank you Ray, for hosting and assistance you have given me :thumbsup:

By the way great builds on this GB

Best regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sorry to hear this build isn't happening, but family should take priority

I hope you can build this soon

Thanks Robert, I need also to thank you too, for hosting - much appreciated:)

I see there is a "Lockheed" GB in April this year, so I may just enter my Orion in that.

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 2