Anigrand 1/72 XF-84H "Thunderscreech"

TheRealMrEd

Not a lot to show here, simply an old Shelf of Doom model finally completed, just to sort of "show the flag".

Here is how it looked before I started back on it a couple of months ago:

2v2uTCcRLxfzdhW.jpg

(It's at the top right).

Pretty much the fuse and interior were all assembled, and all the primer and coats of Alclad were done. Just needed t add all the final bits and a little other painting.  Since I never intended to post this was, I didn't take any pics along the way, but it's just your usual resin kit.

2v2EvFZ5jxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EvFZz5xfzdhW.jpg

2v2EvFQudxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EvFQZ8xfzdhW.jpg2v2EvFQcNxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EvFQYCxfzdhW.jpg

Can't remember what I did for the cockpit -- may have used a modified F-84G. Everything else is stock kit, except for the pitot tubes are tiny tubing and wire, and the use of some landing gear doors from either an F or RF-84 kit.  The supplied kit decals for the wing stars and bars are too small compared to the photos I used, and the kit supplied buzz number was printed in black. I scanned those into the computer and changed the color to Insignia Blue in Photoshop, and then reprinted two sets onto clear decal paper, using my Epson inkjet printer. The two sets of decals were kind of semi-transparent, so I installed the second set atop the first set, after the fist set had dried thoroughly.

Sorry for no more photos, but I am glad to finally have her join the collection.

Ed

• Like 11

WOW a Thunderscreech ... now thats a great choice. Definitely going to follow this. I was just researching my Thunder-streak build for the 50’s NATO build, and wondered if anyone made one of these ? I know the Thunderceptor is in kit form so that would make a nice little collection of Republic Aviations early jets.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks, guys.

Yes Smudge, I DO have a Thundercepter:

2v2E9F8bmxfzdhW.jpg

2v2E9F8KTxfzdhW.jpg

2v2E9F8pVxfzdhW.jpg

2v2E9F8chxfzdhW.jpg

I also have the V-tail version without the nose radome XF-91 in the stash. Hopefully, I'll get around to it one day!

Please forgive pictures -- not time set up the photo set-up.

Ed

• Like 5

You would think there'd have been a point in the design of the Thunderceptor when someone would have taken a step back, looked at the drawings, and said "y'know, something doesn't quite look right"!

Thing is, they were trying some wild and wooley stuff back then, trying to learn everything about everything. After capturing the German research, everyone wanted to catch up, and leave no possibility untried!  I seem to remember reading that the thing flew pretty well, but seems to me the roll rate would have been pretty bad, with all that weight way out on the wingtips!  I believe this was designed to find out whether the drag would be better at the fuse/wing join, due to the smaller surface there...

Just for fun, here's another, the XF-88B  -- this time in vacuform by Maintrack:

2v2JDApGFxfzdhW.jpg

2v2JDApdNxfzdhW.jpg

2v2JDApN8xfzdhW.jpg

2v2JDApz5xfzdhW.jpg

Along with it's more conventional brother, the XF-88:

2v2JDdYfnxfzdhW.jpg

These, of course, led to the later line of F-101 VooDoo variants.  Hope you enjoy the pics...

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
typo
  • Like 4