Wot have i dun

cocky05d

Was trying to use the fan out of my spray booth to use in my modelling shed .In the winter i use a camping gas fire ,with the door open .

I thought if i made an hole in the she wall i could fit the fan into it ,get rid of the fumes from the gas fire and the airbrush .

So now i am left with the fan ,with a white earth wire attached to it ,plus the two black main power wires .There is a switch with a red and a blue wire ,the two black wires attach to it .

Am i right (haha) in thinking that the red and blue wires are live and neutral and the white is the earth ,if i wire them up to the electric cable ,am i liable to

A ,trip the switch

B ,electrocute myself 

Or should i chuck the whole lot in the recycling bin ?

44 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Was trying to use the fan out of my spray booth to use in my modelling shed .In the winter i use a camping gas fire ,with the door open .

I thought if i made an hole in the she wall i could fit the fan into it ,get rid of the fumes from the gas fire and the airbrush .

So now i am left with the fan ,with a white earth wire attached to it ,plus the two black main power wires .There is a switch with a red and a blue wire ,the two black wires attach to it .

Am i right (haha) in thinking that the red and blue wires are live and neutral and the white is the earth ,if i wire them up to the electric cable ,am i liable to

A ,trip the switch

B ,electrocute myself 

Or should i chuck the whole lot in the recycling bin ?

Wrong location. This is for technical site help.

Try posting in Tools and Tips, or even Chat.

Wherever you post this, for crying out loud stop before you electrocute yourself. Asking for people to give advice to you about some electrical wiring when we can't see what you have there is suicidal. If someone gives you wrong advice, they are laying themselves open to a lot of trouble. Consult a qualified electrician.

• Like 4

Post some pics. As a general rule: the switch goes in "series" with the thing you're powering (having a hard time translating tech terms right now). Basically you will connect the earth cable to the earth line of the shed, one of the fan's power cables will go directly to one of the power lines and the other will have the switch attached between the fan and the electrical line. As a very important rule: the live wire should always go through the switch so that when the switch is in the off position there's no current going to the fan (or light bulb or whatever). Make sure all connections are very well insulated (even if you have an earth line), the shed will most likely be exposed to high humidity. Also make sure that while you're doing all this work you don't have any current going through the wires (put the breakers in the off position if you're hooking up directly to the electrical lines).

If at any moment you feel insecure about what you're doing just stop and call an electrician, there's only so much we can do on the forum and we can't stop you from making live mistakes which might have serious consequences.

• Like 1

Hi ,thanks for all the replies and the finger wagging.Think i will get a extractor fan off ebay for a tenner .Should have done that in the first place and see if anyone on here wanted a spray booth .

Anyone got any advice about using the gas fire with the door shut ,will a small extractor fan do the job of getting rid of the gas fire fumes ,don't need the spray booth as i wear a face mask .

If you are all nice i won't tell you the joke about the ex tractor fan ,

Almost forty years ago, a gas fire nearly did for me and my wife due to a (well kippered) blackbird building a nest within the flue of our gas fire. CO has no smell, it just creeps up on you and if your lucky, gives you the mother of all headaches. If you're not lucky, well just make sure your will is up to date.

If you are going to take the sensible route and consult an electrician, ask him/her if the wiring supplying power to your shed is man enough to cover all of your modelling and lighting needs, plus running an electric fire as well, as that is by far the safest mode of heating in a shed.

John.

16 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

Post some pics. As a general rule: the switch goes in "series" with the thing you're powering (having a hard time translating tech terms right now). Basically you will connect the earth cable to the earth line of the shed, one of the fan's power cables will go directly to one of the power lines and the other will have the switch attached between the fan and the electrical line. As a very important rule: the live wire should always go through the switch so that when the switch is in the off position there's no current going to the fan (or light bulb or whatever). Make sure all connections are very well insulated (even if you have an earth line), the shed will most likely be exposed to high humidity. Also make sure that while you're doing all this work you don't have any current going through the wires (put the breakers in the off position if you're hooking up directly to the electrical lines).

If at any moment you feel insecure about what you're doing just stop and call an electrician, there's only so much we can do on the forum and we can't stop you from making live mistakes which might have serious consequences.

To be honest, current only gos through the wire when it has been switched on, it's voltage that is always present. Once you turn it on the Voltage and wattage of what your using determines the current that is being used

Please don't use flames around any solvent except water. My uncle got very severely burnt because of solvent fumes and a pilot light on a gas stove.

Personally, I would also be concerned about a (non-explosion proof) fan and solvent fumes. Several people have claimed I'm being excessive when I bring this up in discussions of spray booths and solvent paints. Now you know why.

• Like 2

Seemed to have open a can of worms with this topic ,don't have any suicidal tendencies?Well no more than any ex motorbike courier .😁

I have got a electric fan heater ,but it costs too much to run ,nZjI8Zk.jpgThis is the gas heater i have ,when i am in the shed it is on the floor about 3 ft away from me .

This is where i sit while i am modelling ,i could have the heater in the doorway ,it would just be on to take the chill off the shed .

FDpgKpD.jpg

Hi ,here is the fan ,as you can see there are two black cables and a white one connected to the body of the fan .So which of the two black wires is the Live and which the neutral ,but seeing as the the wires are the same colour ,does it matter ,i don't think the body of the fan will be live .Any help would be ,,,,,,,,,well you know the rest.

PPmSsPk.jpg

Found this on ebay ,it is the same as the one out of my paint booth ,might try wiring mine up to a plug tomorrow ,it will only trip the switch if i don't do it right .

Going to ditch the switch .

xJVFmAN.jpg