Things to do in England when you're Ed[ward]

Procopius

I don't know if your plans are to stop in the areas you are visiting. Do you need ideas where to eat in the evening? If so, when you are in Coventry/Baginton, Frank Whittle's school in Leamington is now a posh restaurant. The service isn't great and there isn't a car park for the restaurant customers (there's plenty of on road parking near) but the food is usually good.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187063-d6627662-Reviews-Whittle_s_at_Binswood-Leamington_Spa_Warwickshire_England.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I enjoy the trucker food of all nations. Croque madams, pad thai, pierogis, fish and chips...mine is not a discerning palate.

I thought you may be interested to see where Frank went to school – spoiler alert: It wasn't exactly an inner city comprehensive.

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I thought you may be interested to see where Frank went to school – spoiler alert: It wasn't exactly an inner city comprehensive.

Some day I'll understand the difference between all the different types of precollegiate British schools. After reading David Kynaston, I was more confused than when I started.

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Some day I'll understand the difference between all the different types of precollegiate British schools. After reading David Kynaston, I was more confused than when I started.

Things have changed a bit since the peiod he wrote about !!!

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Well if what the rest of the world says about British cooking is true, you are coming to the right place :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Have you sampled much US food?  The stuff they appear to regard as “cheese”, for instance?  Even the most egregious of British food is positively Cordon Bleu in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Have you sampled much US food?

None whatsoever Crisp, and I'm not knocking British cuisine myself, as it made me - for better or worse - what I am today. Clearly we have come a long way from the old days of tripe and dripping, but I still think it's fair to say that the rest of the world views British food with a distinctly jaundiced eye :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

...the rest of the world views British food with a distinctly jaundiced eye

It's envy Stew, pure envy :D 

• Haha 6

True, but most of them appear to think that we still have regular “pea soupers” in London and all talk like some 1940s film.  Besides, most of the disdain comes from France.  I love France and much its food, but it’s also the country that produced andouillete - a food that we’re told is supposed to smell of sh*t...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

we have come a long way from the old days of tripe and dripping,

There's nowt wrong wi' drippin'. If we (as a society, or culture, or whatever we here in The West are) would start cooking with it again, we'd all be healthier. (That's a fact, BTW. Seed oils are poisonous and are making us all very ill.) I'll pass on tripe, thanks. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The best chips I have ever eaten came from a chippy run by a Chinese family. They triple-fried. Deep golden brown, lovely crispy outer, soft inside, nothing like the usual limp and pale things most chippies serve.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it… :D 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

The best chips I have ever eaten came from a chippy run by a Chinese family. They triple-fried. Deep golden brown, lovely crispy outer, soft inside, nothing like the usual limp and pale things most chippies serve.

Damn you! Now I might have to frequent Coleman's tonight (or possibly even this lunchtime) 

• Haha 1

Hot toast and dripping !! 

Now you've got me going........wonder if we've still got some dripping left over from last Christmas..........

[Of course it's been in the freezer......might need some next Crimbo....if I leave any....}

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2019 at 11:41 PM, CedB said:

Monday 4th Shuttleworth Collection

Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th a.m. Hannants, Norfolk and Suffolk, City of Norwich Aviation and 'B-24 leg'

Drat! Missed you by one day. I'm off to Norfolk with a van full of beer tomorrow (4th). Ah well.

If you do see a curtain sided van on your travels with Small Beer written on the sides, it could be me.

Also, breaking news, it doesn't look like I'll make it to Telford. Again. Shucks, darn and possibly, dag nab it! :sad:

• Sad 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, Heather Kay said:

Oh you are sooooooo right about those chips ....................😁

Terry