Things to do in England when you're Ed[ward]

Procopius

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

This amazing place allows you to pass time at King John's tomb, yes him!

I didn't even know it was there 'til a casual visit last month, totally impressive place

I should try just for this, though, my employer paid for a big Magna Carta memorial over in Runnymede, and it might be fun for our social media.

• Like 1

Well since Scotland is off the map for this trip, I'd recommend Lincoln as a base to visit the International Bomber Command Memorial, East Kirkby & Just Jane, the BBMF, many memorials and if you like a beer  visit to the Dambusters Inn in the village of Scampton. I'd echo comments made about Norwich being a great base for visiting all the museums & memorials to the 8th & 9th. As mentioned above the Norfolk & Suffolk museum is a little gem packed to the rafters. Elsewhere YAM is excellent, there's a great pub in one of the villages south of the M23 down the hill from Biggen Hill full of Fighter Command memorabilia. Always wanted to drive down the hill to it in an open topped sports car at high speed - wish I could remember the pubs name! But if you're mostly in the Bath area then Yeovilton, Cadbury Camelot, Wells Cathedral and the Rec although other rugby clubs are available! Have a great time whatever you do.

When I was at Mont St Michel (anyone going to suggest that is over-rated?)  the French guide to the Abbey stated that the finest Gothic cathedral in Europe was Durham.  OK, I'm biased, but ...

Ely is also interesting, and Lincoln, and York ..just keep going North until you hit Hadrian's wall.  (yeah, OK, over-rated.)

15 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

When I was at Mont St Michel (anyone going to suggest that is over-rated?)  the French guide to the Abbey stated that the finest Gothic cathedral in Europe was Durham.  OK, I'm biased, but ...

Ely is also interesting, and Lincoln, and York ..just keep going North until you hit Hadrian's wall.  (yeah, OK, over-rated.)

Perhaps I'm not a fan of 'Gothic'. As I said, I might have been underwhelmed, because I was told I'd be overwhelmed. At the most, I was whelmed.

I think this is starting to sidetrack the thread.

Edited by Gorby
Sorry, I didn't realise it sounded as confrontational as it did.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Eduardo do consider, if you fancy a little religion, visiting Worcester cathedral

This amazing place allows you to pass time at King John's tomb, yes him!

I didn't even know it was there 'til a casual visit last month, totally impressive place

I was surprised at what a little short a... that he was so lacking in stature. Perhaps it's true what they say. You could spend a good half day in the  cathedral looking at all the tombs. There is a very impressive library in the tower as well. Ely has a copy of Magna Carta on display.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Shuttleworth Collection, if it's open at Telford time. Another is Brooklands - full of fascinating stuff, and not just aviation.

And the Aviation Bookshop is a must - I bet you won't be able to leave without buying something (= heaps). My last visit proved expensive, and I didn't get near the second-hand kits!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks HS - Midlands on the list already and we'll look at Bruntingthorpe, although our party's interest is mostly (mostly) WWII based.

Our list so far is below and I'm aware we need to 'trim' this a bit if we're to get around the tour in one piece. Dates are 2nd to 13th November and, of course, we're at SMW on Saturday 9th. If any BMers are involved with the sites and would like to meet the tourers (Procopius, Cookenbacher, Navy Bird and me) and/or be prepared to give us a look around please let me know - it'd be great to meet up.

Old Buckenham Airfield

The Eagle Cambridge

Shuttleworth

Hannants

IWM Duxford / American Air Museum

Shuttleworth

Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum

City of Norwich Aviation Museum

Fenland and West Norfolk Aviation Museum

Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome

Parabellum

Wellesbourne Wartime Museum

Jet Age Museum

Sywell Aviation Museum

Midland Air Museum

Scale Model World!

RAF Museum, Cosford

De Havilland Aircraft Museum

Bentley Priory Museum

Aeros Nottingham

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

Newark Air Museum

International Bomber Command Centre

BBMF Visitor Centre

Yorkshire Air Museum

Army Flying Museum

Boscombe Down Aviation Collection

Gatwick Aviation Museum

Tangmere Military & Aviation Museum Trust

The Aviation Bookshop

Headcorn Aerodrome

Aero Vintage Ltd

Kent Battle of Britain Museum Trust

Battle of Britain Memorial

Spitfire & Hurricane Memorial Museum

Medway Aircraft Preservation Society

Battle of Britain Bunker

Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum

Museum of Berkshire Aviation

Runnymede Air Forces Memorial

Brooklands Museum

The Helicopter Museum

Fleet Air Arm Museum

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks HS - Midlands on the list already and we'll look at Bruntingthorpe, although our party's interest is mostly (mostly) WWII based.

Our list so far is below and I'm aware we need to 'trim' this a bit if we're to get around the tour in one piece. Dates are 2nd to 13th November and, of course, we're at SMW on Saturday 9th. If any BMers are involved with the sites and would like to meet the tourers (Procopius, Cookenbacher, Navy Bird and me) and/or be prepared to give us a look around please let me know - it'd be great to meet up.

Old Buckenham Airfield

The Eagle Cambridge

Shuttleworth

Hannants

IWM Duxford / American Air Museum

Shuttleworth

Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum

City of Norwich Aviation Museum

Fenland and West Norfolk Aviation Museum

Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome

Parabellum

Wellesbourne Wartime Museum

Jet Age Museum

Sywell Aviation Museum

Midland Air Museum

Scale Model World!

RAF Museum, Cosford

De Havilland Aircraft Museum

Bentley Priory Museum

Aeros Nottingham

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

Newark Air Museum

International Bomber Command Centre

BBMF Visitor Centre

Yorkshire Air Museum

Army Flying Museum

Boscombe Down Aviation Collection

Gatwick Aviation Museum

Tangmere Military & Aviation Museum Trust

The Aviation Bookshop

Headcorn Aerodrome

Aero Vintage Ltd

Kent Battle of Britain Museum Trust

Battle of Britain Memorial

Spitfire & Hurricane Memorial Museum

Medway Aircraft Preservation Society

Battle of Britain Bunker

Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum

Museum of Berkshire Aviation

Runnymede Air Forces Memorial

Brooklands Museum

The Helicopter Museum

Fleet Air Arm Museum

When you say trim that a bit, I would think a lot.

Each of those could easily take a full day, depending on how deep you want go into the exhibits at museums, or browse shops.

Talking of shops, I see Parabellum there; if that's the Birmingham shop, it's only open Thursday Friday and Saturday, 11 am to 1730. I live quite close to it, and have been there! It's packed, but small.

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:36, Harley John said:

Well since Scotland is off the map for this trip, I'd recommend Lincoln as a base to visit the International Bomber Command Memorial, East Kirkby & Just Jane, the BBMF, many memorials and if you like a beer  visit to the Dambusters Inn in the village of Scampton. 

I would 3rd Lincoln too, I would wouldn't I? Just down Canwick Hill from BCM is Sincil Bank the how of the World's greatest football team!

Other than saying I have been there, there is not a lot to do or see in the Scampton, even the Dambusters pub is relatively new. If one want to go pubs that the aircrew inbibed, there is the Adam and Eve at the top of Lindum Hill. Gibson used hang out in the Rose and Crown (opposite the theatre Royal), but sadly it has not been a pub for years. There is a small viewing area off the A15 if one wishes to spend an hour or so watching the coming and goings at RAF Waddington.

Plenty to do in the Cathedral quarter, millions have been spent up there recently particularly on the Castle, one can walk around all of the walls now and on a clear day its reputed you can in excess of 30 miles. It now houses the Manga Carter Experience, which as a former Lincolnonian I was surprised how good it was when I visited home a few years ago.  The Cathedral is free to have a wander around if no filming is taking place, although it is 20p to see the Imp, I don't think the public are allowed up to the top of the spires these days.

Plenty of great real ale pubs; The Strugglers, Magna Carter,  Golden Eagle, Wig and Mitre and the Treaty of Commerce to name a few. The Brayford Waterside and Cornhill areas has been totally regenerated in the last 15 years loads of pubs, restaurants and hotels and is always really buzzy! If beer or lager is not your thing, there is Stokes Coffee shop on the High Bridge/Glory Hole.

I would say it would make a decent base.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Plenty of great real ale pubs; The Strugglers, Magna Carter,  Golden Eagle, Wig and Mitre and the Treaty of Commerce to name a few.

Cheers Tommo

(and apologies in advance for the thread hi-jack.)

I usually go to the Victoria when I visit and I've been to The Strugglers so will need to give the others ago next time I'm down as well as visit the Adam & Eve as well. I mentioned The Dambusters due to the collection of memorabilia which makes it worth a visit in my book - oh and the beer ain't too shabby. I have a friend in Lincoln whose Dad was stationed at Scampton in the fifties and he can remember them filming bits at Scampton for the film although most of the filming was done I believe at RAF Hemswell.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harley John said:

Cheers Tommo

(and apologies in advance for the thread hi-jack.)

I usually go to the Victoria when I visit and I've been to The Strugglers so will need to give the others ago next time I'm down as well as visit the Adam & Eve as well. I mentioned The Dambusters due to the collection of memorabilia which makes it worth a visit in my book - oh and the beer ain't too shabby. I have a friend in Lincoln whose Dad was stationed at Scampton in the fifties and he can remember them filming bits at Scampton for the film although most of the filming was done I believe at RAF Hemswell.

Ah! I forgot about the Victoria, thanks for the memory jog. The Adam and Eve is nothing special, but worth a having a quick half in, in the knowledge of it's history.

After growing up in Lincoln (I left circa '87) I always thought it was a bit 'backwards' compared with other places of similiar stature. But, in the last 15 years or so - its improved out of all recognition and I would say its now ahead of the curve now. When I return these days the differences are really noticeable to me.

However, I do mourn the loss of all the model shops, back in the day in the late '60s/early '70s Lincoln must have had least 5 dedicated models shops, Hobbins down Gowt's Bridge  before he moved to Tentercoft Street, Nobbs now flattened to make way for the new transport interchange and Pete Russell's shop at the top of Wigford Way and the one opposite the Odeon (now the Ritz, a 'spoons) were de riguer on Saturday mornings.

A lot of the filming of the Dambusters movie, was carried out at Spitalgate.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 11:56 PM, CedB said:

Old Buckenham Airfield

--snip--

Fleet Air Arm Museum

Hi Ced.

Perhaps highlight (bold?) the confirmed locations as they are decided on?

Also, some of those places are limited to days on which they open. I believe Hannants in London is only 2 days per week(?) & I was seriously less than impressed when I visited there, but hopefully the main warehouse is on the tour... I doubt PC's credit card will appreciate that visit though!

Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum is only open on weekends, for example.

It most certainly will be an epic tour!!

Edited by hairystick
  • Thanks 1

I’ll happily go round the FAA Museum with you - I don’t work there but I do know it better than most.  Keep in mind that it isn’t open every day in the winter.

And the Boscombe Down collection is about 10 minutes from my house 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, Whofan said:

When you say trim that a bit, I would think a lot.

I would agree. There are 43 places on that list and after taking out SMW you have 11 days. At that time of the year many places (if they open at all) will only be open for 6 hours. This gives you 66 hours of visiting time - about 1hr 30 mins per site - and that's without any travel.

Knowing a bit more detail about what you would like to see and do would help. For example at IWM Duxford getting an entire aircraft in a photo' is practically impossible for many items and a speed visit can be done if you only want to focus on certain exhibits. However be aware you can get distracted,. So do you have a list of items on your must see list. Another issue is duplication. The City of Norwich collection has little that is unique and you will not see elsewhere.

If yo wish to pay respects to WW2 US aircrew I sill feel a visit to Cambridge American Cemetery is a must. It opens at 9am everyday so you can fit a short visit in prior to Duxford opening at 10am.

Please also do extra research for the 11th. Many sites have special events on that day to mark Remembrance Day, or on the Sunday. Most years Duxford holds an event on one of these days and entrance is free.

Edited by Paul821
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, @CedB, as I'd completely missed this thread.

I would be proper chuffed if I could meet up with you all should you venture to Duxford/Cambridge/Suffolk/Madingley/Old Warden. Also very happy to provide transportation around the neighbourhood, given that public transport around these parts is generally god-awful.

One spot that hasn't been mentioned is Bassingbourn; although it's been substantially altered and operated as an army barracks for many years, the tower is still there and there's a museum. Currently shut because the MoD have closed the base, but the curators are trying to get it reopened this year (the museum, not the base).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, Procopius said:

But are its spires as tall as Salisbury's? A Russian gentleman told me that they're the tallest in England and not to be missed.

Please tell me you didn't shake hands with this nice, Russian man...

Chris. 

PS: I appreciate that this could be considered poor taste. That was not my intention.