F-86F detail photos

72modeler

55 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Also bear in mid that some Korean War F-86A-5 (that is, pre- F-86A-6/7 conversion) had a lot of fibreglass fairings too (intake ring, wing root trailing edge fairings, wingtips, fin leading edge fairing, fin tip etc) and these were painted a pale grey colour. As the paint wore off (especially at leading edges) the fibreglass colour showed through - often a reddish-brown colour.

@Sabrejet--very interesting to me--I always thought the old fiberglass would weather well, i.e. stay the same shade of grey while perhaps going from a gloss to a flat--do you have any recommended areas on the web to go look for examples to support weathering a model--thank you again for the info--best, Erwin  

Not sure of anywhere on the web, but these two views show a 'virgin' fibreglass intake (painted gray) and one on which the paint has started to strip off, revealing the brownish-coloured fibreglass beneath (photo John Henderson)

• Thanks 1

@Sabrejet--these are awesome--quick re-attack--I always thought the nose of a Korean War era F-86 was metallic in color & included a black radome at the top for an early radar--apparently these photos certify that I was wrong--is the correct way to paint (or foil in my case) is to use acft gray for the nose & NMF for the rest of the acft--I know dumb question, but this actually throws a lot of assumptions I have had about the F-86--thus knocking my socks off 🙂 @72modeler--thank you for starting this thread and appreciate you allowing this dialogue on basic F-86 airframe questions to take up space on an F-86F detail thread--best to all Red Sox Fan 

17 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

@Sabrejet--these are awesome--quick re-attack--I always thought the nose of a Korean War era F-86 was metallic in color & included a black radome at the top for an early radar--apparently these photos certify that I was wrong--is the correct way to paint (or foil in my case) is to use acft gray for the nose & NMF for the rest of the acft--I know dumb question, but this actually throws a lot of assumptions I have had about the F-86--thus knocking my socks off 🙂 @72modeler--thank you for starting this thread and appreciate you allowing this dialogue on basic F-86 airframe questions to take up space on an F-86F detail thread--best to all Red Sox Fan 

No problem VT- the more Sabre reference material we have, the better! I don't have any photos of the F-86F painted in a European camouflage scheme as an experiment, but I did find a link to a color profile that shows what it looked like. I recall seeing photos of FU-333 somewhere, but can't remember the reference source. I bet @Sabrejet has a photo of it. I also believe I read somewhere that at some point in production, the fiberglass nosecap was replaced with a metal one, but SJ or Tony Edmundson will undoubtedly know. (Maybe because the fiberglass nosecap did not interfere with the ranging radar for the gunsight, its location was not visible, whereas  a metal nosecap would interfere with the radar unit, so its location was exposed by a black plastic radome cover surrounded by the metal nosecap?  I'm just spitballin' here, as we say in the Lone Star State!)

BTW- thanks, as always, SJ for sharing your amazing Sabre archives!

Mike

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/north-american-f-86-sabre/

Edited by 72modeler
added additional text- corrected spelling
  • Like 1

I am with @72modeler in thanking @Sabrejet & everyone else for their references and most importantly to me, their interpretations and willingness to share literally years of knowledge-- @72modeler, thats what I heard regarding the black range radar fairing, but had second thoughts once I learned about the all fiberglass nose--you guys all rock!  Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Clarity

Just a quick one: apologies cos this should be F-86F stuff! The black radome (actually it's a neoprene finish over a honeycomb panel) was only installed on F-86As modified with radar-ranging gunsights (F-86A-6 and -7). That does mean most F-86As in Korea eventually. However, most/all went to Korea in late 1950 with the fibreglass nose ring and were gradually modified in-theatre (Japan). As ever with Sabres, photos of a particular aircraft will show how it was configured.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

do any of use alclad paint--if so what shades do use?  

Sorry for the delay in answering VTRSF. I dont use any alclads or metallics in my airbrush. I will sooner or later. I currently have a huge stock of Tamiya Rattlecan AS-12 that i want to burn through.  I also do some models in Natural aluminum foil, it all depends on what kind of finish im going for. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

While we're on the subject of F-86F's, here's one at Paso Robles, CA that appears to have an interesting history, if the information in the caption is correct. Perhaps @Sabrejetcan confirm. Reputed to be an RF-86F, serial 52-4578; according to the caption it was one of 18 converted to an RF by the JSDAF, who serialed it 52-7401. Caption stated that this one ahs a rear fuselage from 55-5082 for some reason. It is listed in Forgotten Jets as being assigned to the  12th FBS, 18th FBG in Korea.

Mike 

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/North-American-RF-86F-Sabre/5298897/L?qsp=eJwljEEKwkAMRe/y191YQWF21QPowguEmdAWqhmSLCyld28cd4/34G3I8nH%2B%2BmutjARj0jyhQyWltyFtqJO43Ml5FF2R%2BmsHE/VbMEroIWeuzgV//9DC%2BktsuX3G%2BJ4CWJ%2BNcb6EL7PVhdqDneYF%2B34AMzUusA%3D%3D

Apologies for the late reply - been away for a few days. The Paso Robles RF-86F is indeed ex-JASDF, but I suspect the 18th FBGp history is spurious: it sits among a bunch of F-86Fs which all went to stateside units. It's now owned by Estrella Warbird Museum and has the tail of 55-5019 plus other parts of F-86F 55-5082.

Its correct USAF s/n is 52-4758 and it went, via overhaul at NAA Fresno, via McClellan AFB and the San Francisco port of embarkation (arriving there on 3 November 1955) to 2723rd Air Depot Group at Kisarazu, Japan and was passed to the JASDF on 23 December 1955 as a standard F-86F with Japanese s/n 52-7401. Converted to RF-86F in 1961/62, it was re-serialled as 52-8401 (and later to 52-6401) and was one of four retired in the late '70s and gathered by the US Navy as spares sources for the QF-86F drone programme. This aircraft was therefore stored at the US Naval Weapons Center, China Lake from the early 1980s until what was left was bought by the museum.

All four of the USN RF-86Fs survive in the USA, but contrary to some statements I've seen, they were never converted to drones and any reference to the designation, "QRF-86F" is tosh.

• Like 2