602 squadron spitfire

twp1

I'm believe that 602 squadron carried the code LO on their spitfires. Could anyone tell me if any aircraft carried the individual letter U.  I'm after making one with these codes but cannot find any reference to it.  It doesnt matter what spitfire it is as long as it carries this code.

Cheers

Just had a quick look at an Operations Record Book from 1943 in the National Archives. Unfortunately it looks like 603's ORBs only showed the serial nos and pilot, not the code. That seemed to vary a lot and could change over time. 

If you are interested have a look here, you can view without buying although the watermark gets a bit irritating:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/raf-operations-record-books-1939-1945/

Mark

As Mark said above some ORBs only quote the serial number and Pilot name (19 Sqn) is another example however some quote the Aircraft letter and Pilot name (213 Sqn) so it can get rather frustrating.  

The serial number is unique to the aircraft and is used to identify the particular aircraft.  The aircraft squadron ID letter could appear on a succession of aircraft as they come and go from the squadron and must have been painted on pretty soon after the aircraft arriving in the squadron.

I guess your only option is trolling the interweb for photos...  Good luck with your hunt...

On 11/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, Engelsted said:

Spitfire Mk XVI SM424 was coded LO-U in late 1944

Thanks Engelsted.

Can I ask where you sourced that info from and if it would give details of colour scheme, wing and wing armament etc?

It'll be a high-back, 'e' wing, no bumps over the wheel well.  Possibly clipped wing, at least as an option.  I've got a book that might give me more... (edit: nope)

Also, wing bomb carriers.

Edited by gingerbob