F-84 Thunderjets, manouvering drill

Nils

As I said in my other post of the norwegian air force 338sqn  Thunderjets. Two machines  collided during high speed ‘break’ drills. The pilot of the closest plane, MU-R managed to eject and survived the inident, the other pilot, sadly, was killed. The  surviving pilot, later became commander for our entire airforce. This is my finished artwork from the incident. It shows the planes  the moment before MU-S pushes it’s starboard wing tank up the tail pipe of MU-R.  in respect for  family members still alive. In respect of  family members still alive, I didn’t want to depict the crash itself.

This all happened 10. january 1956. It’s a piece I did for my friend. It was his father surviving the bail out. His dad passed away some years ago but the story naturally coloured their family life after this incident. This is done to try to shed some light for them how it might have looked, back then.

All is modelled and created by me, in Modo. The background is constructed with a mix of Google maps and rather heavy Photoshop paintwork. I will give him a print of this as a christmas present.

Ertvågøy_finger four

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...