Retro Build from the Mad Nurse!

At this time of year, I generally get a big box (with a big kit inside) out of the stash to be a winter project. This year, it coincides with the start of the Maritime Patrol & Coastal Command GB, so I'm going to take part with Revell's 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR.3

Now this is the old FROG kit, originally introduced in 1967, and part of the FROG range until their demise in the late 1970s.The moulds then passed to the Soviet Union, where various manufacturers produced the kit, before the moulds were passed to Revell Germany,

who produced a "Limited Edition" of the kit as a vintage or retro kit, including a Qualty Control disclaimer in every box!

The kit is product of its time, with little interior detail and extensive rivet effects on the exterior surfaces, which will have to be at least reduced.

Here are the obligatory mugshots of the kit.

37b8b53b-6334-4f80-8666-4a42a9768dde.JPG

8fd774f3-9ae7-4b0f-b0ca-ed13bcccf46f.JPG

1d9ab9ec-5ef3-4d3a-81ba-d2e6eb64cd45.JPG

95f778a7-9736-40f2-8969-809d70176821.JPG

70cc8569-80aa-4bce-ba34-e03331517391.JPG

71c3bce9-b3cc-4138-971d-e38db9c641b6.JPG

And that's all there is to see here at the moment.

See you on December 1st!

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, I'd best get on with this, people are showing finished models and I haven't reported any progress at all!

I have actually made progress on this, and here it is!

As is usual for me, a start was made by way of some pre-assembly painting:

a79918b4-639c-4767-ba5c-66d8bd2df474.JPG

I don't know if those colours are right, They are my interpretation of what I've seen in Shackleton walkarounds.

Aaand, the fuselage is closed up! I've not added any of the fuselage windows, I intend to use KrystalKlear after painting . . .

4805f4e7-03cf-4e9b-91ee-b2461ef8b843.JPG

b1402c8d-0365-4122-9e12-0b257caf0873.JPG

This is an interesting kit. Movable control surfaces abound, including flaps, and while no attempt has been made to preserve the feature, all that are installed so far work fine!

• Like 7

Lovely stuff Gaz

I have a Frog boxing of this, moulded in a glow in the dark shade of Blue. Unfortunately the previous owner took lots of parts off the spruces, then damaged the box allowing parts to escape, so I will need to see, just how much of it has survived the ordeal.

Does this kit still come with the South African Airforce Decals ?

cheers Pat

Thanks for the comments, guys!

@Ray: Since finding that the movable parts are actually more like removable parts (flaps keep falling off!) I am fastening them in place "fixed" when they are repaired.

@Pat: Nope, no SAAF decals in this release (I was disappointed, I'd have built that one!). Just 2 RAF choices; XF730, 'B' of 120 Sqn at Kinloss, 1965 or XF704, 'F' of 201 Sqn, same location and year. Sorry to hear about your FROG Shack, we've all done it at one time

or another, but it's still a haemorrhoid.

Progress has again occurred, after much fettling of slots, tabs and wing spar the wings are on!

8d921642-e31a-4a46-a455-b965d56dfcdc.JPG

8d921642-e31a-4a46-a455-b965d56dfcdc.JPG

As can be seen in the pix, work is ongoing building up the engine nacelles, tip tanks, etc as sub-assemblies before attaching them.

Soon be ready for paint!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Ladies and gentlemen, It is with deepest regret that I must withdraw from this GB with immediate effect.

My stepdaughter has passed away after a short illness. Her death was expected, but has occurred far sooner than anyone foresaw.

I'm currently on compassionate leave from work, as I've been unable to concentrate on the job. I can't get focussed enough to work on

models either. The Shack is partly painted, and will remain as it is for the foreseeable future. It will get finished (I hope), just not now.

I leave you with a picture of the model as it stands now.

5fa57aad-d231-4b4f-8237-775f2adcbf59.JPG

• Sad 5

Thank you all. I know from seeing the experience of others, how supportive this fine forum can be. We have a funeral to attend next Tuesday, which should help with some closure, and then maybe we can begin to pick up the threads of everyday life again.

I'll be back to building when the mojo returns . . .