1/72 SAR RAF Leconfield

AndyBunney

I am soon going to be making a 22 Sqn Wessex and 202 Sqn Sea King. These will be placed on a re-creation of the pan at Leconfield where I worked on both types in the late 1980s. I have a Houchin GPU on the way and have purchased a JB Models Bedford Tactical re-fueller (We had one of these for a while) The main re-fuellers we had were Bedford MK6 (Based on the Bedford TK) I don't suppose anyone knows how I can re-produce one of these in 1/72?

Ta2-kLmsQ0LUm-9R4Per3RBVLD2fD0svqUz8PEGpEWiWg2M_QH8Aac-d7VceBqQxITF1tfvG0zJycoX1

I am hoping to scratch build a Massey Ferguson MF40 Towing tractor by basing it on a 1/76 Diecast David brown Tractor shown superimposed here.

GpUcxIAE0eWmnoWxidWQ4DQV2zA5u2xubg-AnifM

I shall also be adding a Lightweight RAF Landrover (to tow the Houchin) and TACR2 firetruck to the scene. This will all be a pretty good re-creation of the time when D Flt 22 Sqn Wessex where replaced by E Flt 202 Sqn Sea Kings in 1987/1988.

Sounds like a great plan. My first posting as a baby rigger was on Sea Kings at HMF, St. Mawgan so I'll be following this with interest. As for the TK, have you considered modifying one of Oxford Diecast's versions? The cab shouldn't need any work and the bowser body could be relatively easily scratch built onto a cut down chassis. Oxford also produce a TACR 2 that would be ideal.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:42 PM, paul_c said:

Sounds like a great plan. My first posting as a baby rigger was on Sea Kings at HMF, St. Mawgan so I'll be following this with interest. As for the TK, have you considered modifying one of Oxford Diecast's versions? The cab shouldn't need any work and the bowser body could be relatively easily scratch built onto a cut down chassis. Oxford also produce a TACR 2 that would be ideal.

I have ordered the 1/76 Oxford diecast RAF Centenary set (76set58) This includes a lightweight landrover and TACR2 (complete with red bonnet and correct Royal Air Force Fire Service markings.) The cow catcher also looks better than on their black bonnet version.

I had a quick look and this might make a good base. Thanks for the advise.

RR-XP0CAaXSIBRkShYSgfbNJm9VG8mSaX0BLqthx

Edited by AndyBunney

23 hours ago, Evalman said:

Air-Graphics (in conjunction with L'Arsenal) have the Massey on their future list.  Test shot looks good.

The Mk5 GPU - most commonly seen with the Wessex is available from Flightpath.

6419326063_b41cc5fe90_z.jpg

We didn't have mk5 GPUs and who parked it that close to Walter?

On 11/30/2018 at 8:22 PM, Evalman said:

Air-Graphics (in conjunction with L'Arsenal) have the Massey on their future list.  Test shot looks good.

The Mk5 GPU - most commonly seen with the Wessex is available from Flightpath.

6419326063_b41cc5fe90_z.jpg

That's the Douglas Taskmaster, not quite the same but does look good. The one we had was, I believe, made by Cameron Gardiner. We didn't have mk5 GPUs and who parked it that close to Walter?

Edited by AndyBunney

I just looked at his website. I think Mr Air Graphic may have put the wrong name on his product.  He lists it as a Douglas Super Taskmaster which is this

29248102365_51fec8f310_z.jpg

His resin prototype, which does look nice, is of one of these which as far as I'm aware is a Massey:

5241271411_9523a9abac_z.jpg

Edited by Evalman
  • Like 2

Following on from a suggestion by paul_c I bought a cheap TK box lorry from Ebay It already had a twin wheel rear axle and round rear arches. Wheelbase will need cutting down but the box body can be used for the pump cabinet.

2JRIe2upjjIpVXK_At68hvqH9bxAdm2Fjx6Wmgms

Dismantled, box body cut to rough length and rear axle moved to approximate new position. Tactical MK alongside for scale.

PeAxnSx_FmNV5N0n0BTmsh6ql9FHFlJ9kwVIUACE

Height of box reduced to give correct fit. I think the box is still a few mm too long and I will have to round off the top more where it meets the sides.

2fs0l9cG4i-HwkUkE2zpnR9hIs02kbCaDZQHQXz9

Edited by AndyBunney
Photos not loaded properly
  • Like 1

I've now cut the pump box to the right length and moved the rear axle to the back of the chassis ready to cut 25.5mm out from the middle of the chassis. This should bring all the major components into the right place.

Vfi2W2K6UmON1rMboupFlOZx6yTm_itP6a8ZGMVh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chassis is now the correct length, Rear axle in the correct position and a coat of Nato Green to cover the emerald green body and red wheels. Panel lines next and fire extinquisher stowage to cut out then the tank to fabricate.

SHGclbZfpy7QfOOj5oMdCNkY8INMXkyO2dv_yja6

With the Flightpath Diorama kit and Nitrogen trolley I shall have towing arms, chocks, fire extinguishers and I already have the TACR2 and lightweight Landrover, 2 Houchins and the Tactical Bowser. Better get on with the Wessex and Sea King soon!

NU2plIpmKRaS_dk00EgylCTfzHlsVM85tWRrwPXF

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made the beacon and mounting bracket. It is slightly too big but there is a reason for that and once the booms are mounted either side on top of the pump housing I don't think it will look too bad.

Ry-CFP0qtMv7tbGCYJMA2QoBhvLiPfs7hzVBh9iI

xXp2Fih8pe_EyNp75SaUjzrQ7XC583EkIBUtXgZf

And that's why it's a bit big! 1.8mm LED painted with clear orange hopefully it will be connected to a small flasher circuit set within the box running off a 3v battery.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Homemade battery holder installed in the pump cabinet to run the flashing LED

fh4IP527xtFWatr7qvJWvHZXqP8-LucMfJSZ65AC

Switch attached to chassis rail and tank & pump cabinet attached

WSnxTROTSnnU0mKpp74HhiYumkFNWUDtV73LJNeu

Basic construction complete and a thin coat of NATO green added to the tank, next thing to do is add booms and pipes, ladders tank access panels etc. Does anyone have ony pictures of the top of one of these?

0DGxp6m3XfI_o75osMfJxLEbAfiDwGZ_4E7wVtok

vasB70Z29iunSfBE6GpRRrGdNB98aWXc7VcEDfLR

Made a start on the ladder today. 0.4mm brass rod cut, bent and soldered together. Once the excess solder is cleaned off I think it will look good.

li-JWP4LJhZBo5mltoam-suILijrxXw_e1s-fjTK

Positioned on the rear of the bowser I think it needs to be a bit further to the left but I dropped my 0.4mm drill and broke it so will need a new one before I can re-position it.

iNCP03LRW-ouAu951dLTjOQrC8kMurtH0X53hgtX