1/72 RarePlane Super King Air - Irish Air Corps - MOVING ON

What limeypilot said.

Don't trim the plastic too close before you start sanding.  You will form a very thin web of plastic in the process, which can be pulled away in your fingers.

Straight edges can be trickier than curved, finger pressure can cause uneven sanding that shows more on straight edges. so check often, and keep checking.

Ideally, you will have the sand paper on a very flat surface - I used to use coarse(ish) wet-n-dry with lots of water.

Plate glass is good, but

• if using glass, don't use anything thinner or weaker than plate glass (too easy to break)
  • sand on a table or firm surface, not your lap - a trip to A&E eats into modelling time
  • make sure all of the edges of the glass are deburred, preferably ground smooth (taping edges is not good enough)
    • you do not want to be adding red colour before assembly (it'll be a poor colour match anyway).

Don't ask how I learnt about those do's 'n' don't above ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, Robert Stuart said:

What limeypilot said.

Don't trim the plastic too close before you start sanding.  You will form a very thin web of plastic in the process, which can be pulled away in your fingers.

Straight edges can be trickier than curved, finger pressure can cause uneven sanding that shows more on straight edges. so check often, and keep checking.

Ideally, you will have the sand paper on a very flat surface - I used to use coarse(ish) wet-n-dry with lots of water.

Plate glass is good, but

• if using glass, don't use anything thinner or weaker than plate glass (too easy to break)
  • sand on a table or firm surface, not your lap - a trip to A&E eats into modelling time
  • make sure all of the edges of the glass are deburred, preferably ground smooth (taping edges is not good enough)
    • you do not want to be adding red colour before assembly (it'll be a poor colour match anyway).

Don't ask how I learnt about those do's 'n' don't above ...

Cheers Robert & Ian 👍

Years ago I started a Rareplanes Firebrand and a Falcon Models 1/48th LA-5, but never finished them. For what it's worth I used a Stanley knife, always with new, sharp blades, to cut the puts out, I found it just a bit sturdier and easier to cut through the plastic.

Good luck.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2019 at 01:10, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So Dermot, have cut any plastic yet? Or have Ian and Robert put you off? :D

He can't reply until he has grown new finger tips, and or the bandages have been taken off ! :giggle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 1:10 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So Dermot, have cut any plastic yet? Or have Ian and Robert put you off? :D

On 2/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, JOCKNEY said:

He can't reply until he has grown new finger tips, and or the bandages have been taken off ! :giggle:

Ha, very good!! 😂 Still here lads...just haven't been able to type very well, what with the state of my fingers !
Hoping to get back to this one tonight, now that the Grumman GB is over....

Al thee besssst,

Drmeot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Excellent Dermot - how did you find sanding the upper wing tips?

I might have reduced the amount of plastic on the leading corner before sanding ...

Thanks Robert - only really got going with sanding last night and started on the tailplane parts. I think I know what you mean - the corners/leading edges look like they need more plastic taken off.

This is going to take a while......😐

• Like 1

Any suggestions on how to tackle the trailing edges of wings? 

The leading edges are ok but the trailing ones need to be a lot thinner so that the point where they meet is as thin as possible -right now i've got a clearly visible ridge of both edges.

Frustrating!

Dermot

Why don't you just thin the trailing edge of the wings with a curved Xaco blade as you would normally do for a polystyrene kit ? If you are happy with the sanding of the font edge further sanding of the entire wing will only reduce the front edge which you don't want. 

• Thanks 1

Sanding vac wings is tricky, you need to apply the right amount of pressure evenly to remove the material needed. But as the trailing edge needs to be thinner, constant checking while sanding is required. I have botched quite a few wings by removing too much from the leading edge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So been beavering away with this one lately...

33375236828_a600d9ba2d_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I've read from other builds that the engines were short on one half of the part and sure enough, you can hopefully make it out here. So I'm going to align from the nose back and build up where it's short...or something!

46527525434_1353d5f65b_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Wings are getting there - glued in some wood to help stiffen the wing and also added lead shot to the nacelles to help with the nosewheel.

32308965107_ac6efc342f_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

With being off work today, I made a start on the windows and have decided to drill them out and try some Krystal Klear on them. First two..

40286159513_18d5638490_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I drilled a pilot hole and then slowly enlarged that with a round file. I got better as I went along and found that chain-drilling them was a lot easier. The rearmost window I sanded too much (it should be smaller and more tear-drop shaped) so am going to fill it and do that again.

40286160723_909b26dd79_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Both sides done I also cut out the door into the cockpit. I've cut some card for a basic internal floor in the back.

47199119332_099bde69cb_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and hopefully more progress (and pics) tomorrow!
Happy modelling.

Dermot

• Like 11

Thanks all and just trying to get through this one - I have mahoossive respect for anyone who builds vacform kits on a regular basis. :worthy:

A bit more done at the weekend...

Added some 'tabs' along the fuselage to help with alignment and reduce any possible flexing. The rear-window fix is still ongoing

32330143317_53f169d99e_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Quick little test fit with the wings..not too bad.

46548702364_8f5b22ddc0_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip9r by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then spent a couple of hours trying my best to do this bit right - measure twice/cut once and all that.

32330144377_ed5570cef3_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some fettling will be needed but happy enough with it. A new no.11 blade and some micro saws from RB Productions were a big help.

46548703034_1224de089f_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip11r by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then I lost the run of myself and started painting the interior and adding the two kit-supplied bulkheads.. The main cabin floor is purely to take the blank look off the inside though don't think you'll see that much through the windows.

32330145757_5789f94dc0_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip12r by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The seats are fine so added some masking tape belts. Because the control panel sat way too high in relation to the canopy, that needed some surgery.....so the crew may need to grab the control column with their shins! Again, not too worried because of the smallish cockpit windows.

Tonight's work will be packing in as much nose weight as I can.

Thanks as always for looking.

Dermot

• Like 8